Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Partnership Bill passed by the Dail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

After Ronan Mullen tried to stall things all day, there's been a vote called, should be done by 6pm.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Passed 48 - 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Wow, that was an awful lot of noise and melodrama for the last couple of days for only 4 no votes in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

So ok, someone tell me- does this mean it's totally passed everything now? Just for Mary McAleese to sign it, and then it's law, right?

As far as I know, yes. She can refer it to the Supreme Court to determine constitutionality if she wants though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

zoegh wrote: »
    So ok, someone tell me- does this mean it's totally passed everything now? Just for Mary McAleese to sign it, and then it's law, right?

Yes, unless she refers it to the Supreme Court, but that is only if it is thought to be unconstitutional.

Doubtful she will though... Especially since she worked so hard with Mary Robinson and David Norris on the decriminalisation, right?

I have to say, i feel very happy right now. Not that I can actually avail of this until family circumstances change, but still. This is very cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No - not quite - there are separate laws in the area of finance and social welfare that have to be introduced - presumably the finance parts are part of the budget - So I don't think we will be seeing the first ceremonies for at least 6 months

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I have to say, i feel very happy right now. Not that I can actually avail of this until family circumstances change, but still. This is very cool.
    Maybe I'll change my mind as the increased possibilities this offers to me start sinking in... but at the moment I'm having a hard time getting happy about this.

All the debate and bull**** dragging on and on, and for what? "Will you, uhm, Civil Partner me?". Gosh, it's just what I've always dreamed of. :-S

Yes it's an improvement but it's a half measure.

Between this and the headshop bill, I'm finding the conservatism of this country quite depressing at the moment.

Is there anywhere to watch the debates in the Seanad after the fact? I know they were live broadcast, but I missed 'em.

• Advertisement

Goodshape wrote: »
    Is there anywhere to watch the debates in the Seanad after the fact? I know they were live broadcast, but I missed 'em.

All of them? - It's about 20 hours

It started at about 12:20 yesterday 07/07/10 finished about 6:30pm then came back around 8:45pm finished at 1:30 am

This morning it started at about 11:30 and finished about 6:20pm - They are rough times but you can use the tool below

http://www.oireachtas.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/livewebcast/WebcastingVideoClipcreationtool.htm%20&CatID=154&m=o

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    All of them? - It's about 20 hours

It started at about 12:20 yesterday 07/07/10 finished about 6:30pm then came back around 8:45pm finished at 1:30 am

This morning it started at about 11:30 and finished about 6:20pm - They are rough times but you can use the tool below

http://www.oireachtas.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/livewebcast/WebcastingVideoClipcreationtool.htm%20&CatID=154&m=o
    Cool.

20 hours though... yeah... maybe a clip show would be better :). Nice tool though.

Goodshape wrote: »
    Cool.

20 hours though... yeah... maybe a clip show would be better :). Nice tool though.
    Yesterdays 2nd stage debate was brilliant though some senators spoke crap - some of it this morning was very very funny

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Fair play to the head of the Seanad for just putting an end to the bull**** and guillotining the debate for 6.30pm. Irish Times tells me there were 77 issues raised, each of which would have taken two hours of debate. Even their coverage makes it clear how much stonewalling there was. Maybe they were trying to hold out for the summer recess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It is nice there is some legal status possible but it's not equality and I do think it makes second class citizens out of those who wish to marry a person of the same gender.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It is nice there is some legal status possible but it's not equality and I do think it makes second class citizens out of those who wish to marry a person of the same gender.
    Yeah it's Marriage Lite. I'm wondering if they ever do over marriage, would civil partners be able to avail of an upgrade edition to full marriage?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

ixoy wrote: »
    Yeah it's Marriage Lite. I'm wondering if they ever do over marriage, would civil partners be able to avail of an upgrade edition to full marriage?

I could be wrong but I don't think the civ part bill is for same sex couples exclusively. Think heteros can do it too. So I would say when equality comes in it would be a case of getting married

I could be wrong but I don't think the civ part bill is for same sex couples exclusively. Think heteros can do it too. So I would say when equality comes in it would be a case of getting married
    no civil partnership is for gay couples only

Terry Pratchet

Fair play to the head of the Seanad for just putting an end to the bull**** and guillotining the debate for 6.30pm. Irish Times tells me there were 77 issues raised, each of which would have taken two hours of debate. Even their coverage makes it clear how much stonewalling there was. Maybe they were trying to hold out for the summer recess.
    The last stage was a disgrace Ronan Mullen spoke on his amendments in order to stop other amendments being discussed

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I was watching the live seanad blog, it was a bit of a mess. People talking about the wrong amendment, shouting, cutting across people. Its a wonder to me that the dail/seanad ever get anything done, its so disorganized.

• Advertisement

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    no civil partnership is for gay couples only

Em, no. Same-sex and opposite-sex couples.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Em, no. Same-sex and opposite-sex couples.
    Nope. Civil partnership is for same-sex couples only. Co-habitation applies to all couples, including opposite sex. It's part of the same bill (as it covers some similar areas) but it's not civil partnership.

Look, the way i see it is, whether we like it or not, we were NEVER going to get full marriage rights with this first piece of legislation. BUT we do now have a place of relative safety we can bargain from. yes, it takes time, but you can't expect all social progress to happen instantly. Yes, it would be nice, but it's not going to happen.

I, as a lesbian, am delighted with this. Everyone will call it marriage anyway, and god knows when I propose I won't be asking herself to be my civil partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

I am delighted with the passing of the bill, now all I have to do is find a husband :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,703 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In Iceland they allowed conversion anyway, the Prime Minister there was one of the first to go from CP to married with her wife.

Nope. Civil partnership is for same-sex couples only. Co-habitation applies to all couples, including opposite sex. It's part of the same bill (as it covers some similar areas) but it's not civil partnership.

On examination of the exact wording I see that you are correct, my mistake. Thanks for the clarification.

IrelandAM on TV3 this morning: discussing the Civil Partnership bill and other issues of LGBT parenting. Just if anyone's interested. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

Look, the way i see it is, whether we like it or not, we were NEVER going to get full marriage rights with this first piece of legislation. BUT we do now have a place of relative safety we can bargain from. yes, it takes time, but you can't expect all social progress to happen instantly. Yes, it would be nice, but it's not going to happen.

I, as a lesbian, am delighted with this. Everyone will call it marriage anyway, and god knows when I propose I won't be asking herself to be my civil partner.

I, like Norris, was originally opposed to the legislation, as I assumed once passed it would put the question of gay marriage to the bottom of the pile for the time being as it were. However, after watching the final Seanad debate almost in its entirity, it appears that there is a large proportion of Senators (I can't vouge for TDs) who are treating this as a stepping stone piece of legislation. How long it takes for the next step is anyone's guess though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Yes, I know of at least one TD who also sees it as a stepping-stone. They said that they didn't want Civil Marriage straight away, that people "weren't ready" for it. I inferred from this that they'd be worried they'd lose seats were it introduced right off the bat. Instead, we're spoon-feeding the electorate. I can see the merits of this, yet it contains the anomaly that this bill actually creates more inequality than it solves. I have faith that before long, Civil Marriage will be introduced in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

IrelandAM on TV3 this morning: discussing the Civil Partnership bill and other issues of LGBT parenting. Just if anyone's interested. :)

What an adorable family. I have many many friends from 'traditional' familes whose parents can't even stomach each others presence, yet this state gives them a higher status than this family, which is clearly filled with love, respect and all the values that a family should be based on.

The two kids are fine young gents, clearly with good heads on their shoulders. If even half of the 'families' that are around today could produce such lovely kids this world would be a much better place.

The statment at the end where one of the women mentioned that they would have to move all their assets to NZ before they die in order to protect their kids interests made my stomach turn.

Advertisement