Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buzz from strat saddle

• 01-07-2010 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭

I just put a new set of strings on a mexi standard strat, and the D string is buzzing. It's coming from the saddle, but no amount of adjustment to it helps. It sounds like fret buzz, but its definitely coming from the saddle, and its got me stumped

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭BSOM

I just put a new set of strings on a mexi standard strat, and the D string is buzzing. It's coming from the saddle, but no amount of adjustment to it helps. It sounds like fret buzz, but its definitely coming from the saddle, and its got me stumped

It might be the string, check if its vibrating in a loop or if its side to side. If its the later, try a new string. What guage are you using ? Is it the same as before ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

The string may be twisted or there could be a burr on the saddle. Remove the string completely and check the saddle for sharp edges. If it's ok, the restring. If not you should file any burrs down gently.

You really don't have much luck with guitars do you? seems to be just problems. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

No, not much luck at all :( Its the same gauge, I've made no changes at all, so I'll try a different string, the saddle looks fine but if the new string doesn't help I'll have a closer look.

After this I should be problem free for at least a few days :p Everything else *seems* sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭BSOM

No, not much luck at all :( Its the same gauge, I've made no changes at all, so I'll try a different string, the saddle looks fine but if the new string doesn't help I'll have a closer look.

After this I should be problem free for at least a few days :p Everything else *seems* sorted

If it doesnt work, let us know and if you can post up a pic of the saddle. I would say its most likley the string.

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 GerryHayes

Possibly a long shot, as it's just started happening (unless you've changed string brand or guage) but it might be worth checking the saddle itself. A couple of times, I've seen a 'miscast' saddle with no ramp off the front. This means when a string vibrates, it does a sort of sitar thing and gives a metallic zingy buzz.

There is some info and some pics here - http://guitarless.com/2009/10/buzz-kill-tracking-down-a-zingy-string/

(NOTE: This is an article I wrote myself - Mods, if including this link is an issue, let me know or feel free to delete it).

• Advertisement

I tried changing the string and then the saddle. I assume its hitting a fret but I can't tell where at all. Usually thats an easy fix.

I've now changed the string height, adjusted the truss rod and trem claw and haven't got the sound to so much as change slightly. Its off to a professional at this stage, time to admit defeat!

Where will get it done fairly quickly? I've barely had a chance to play recently so I'm dying to get back into it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Have you checked the spring for the saddle? It could be vibrating off something and creating the buzz.

Yeah I checked absolutely anything that could be moving at all. I don't have a clue what it is but I don't really mind getting it looked at anyway, I've tinkered with it so much since I got it, its about time someone who actually knows what they're doing gave it some tlc :pac:

Thanks for your help... again! I'd be far worse off without it

Advertisement