Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you have ever moved house..

Options
  • 01-07-2010 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

We are moving house at the end of the month. My question is- Is it worth our while to use a removal company or is it better to use a "man with a van"?
    I have no idea of costs at this early stage but as far as I can see, big removal companies pack everything for you into boxes. Does the man with a van do that? We have very little furniture to bring as we will be renting a furnished house but have a young child so we have a lot of "stuff"!
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Rent a van yourself. €50 a day, job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

removal companies lose stuff i would do it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

My experience of moving is that you always have way, way more stuff than you think. I would recommend firstly a trip to the dump to get rid of stuff you don't need. And a man with a van might work if he is willing to make several trips, or do it over 2 days, or if you really have very little stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

men with vans rarely have insurance in case your stuff gets damaged in transport. This is less of a problem in short trips, but for a cross country jaunt it might be worth considering.

men with vans don't pack your stuff, and most of them would be (rightfully!) annoyed if your stuff wasn't packed when he got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Get boxes in your local supermarket. Pop in when it's quite (midday on a Friday, for example), and ask then. Pack your stuff. If paying by the hour, man in the van may take a while packing all your stuff. More cost to you. If it's a flat fee, he may just walk. Not worth the hassle, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Just moved house in April - I hired a transit from Thrifty for a full day, I think it cost around €70. First time driving a van and there was no hassle really (a bit of fun to be honest)

If you can start a kind of a production line you will be sorted. My wife was back in the old house filling boxes while her brother and myself were driving over to the new house and dumping the first load off. By the time we got back my wife had the second load ready and on it went for the day. Just cost me 70 for the van and a feed of pints for my brother in law.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭The Wife

Thanks everyone. I have set up a "survey" with Allen Removals just out of interest to see how much it would be. I suppose it's the fact that they actually pack for you that attracts me, as I have a todddler running around it is difficult to pack up. I have been told its very expensive though :( I also have the number of a Polish guy who does van trips. And I am looking into van rental also. Keeping all options open!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

The Wife wrote: »
    I have a todddler running around it is difficult to pack up.

My first piece of advice would be to have someone mind the toddler!! I've moved several times with my daughter at various ages and it's so much harder with a young child around, even with movers which you'll, at the very least, need to supervise.

The easiest and cheapest move I ever did was with a rented van and a gang of friends who I "paid" at the end of the day with a load of Chinese food and wine in the new house :)

Advertisement