Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone think this ad from the situations vacant sticky is ridiculous

Options
  • 01-07-2010 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

#############################################
    Webmaster Fulltime vacancy
    The Sunway Travel Group requires a full time webmaster with a minimum of 5 years commercial experience in a similar role, based in our offices in Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin.

The Role
    We are looking for a highly capable and enthusiastic web developer with proven experience. The webmaster will be solely responsible for the development and management of our websites, server/DB management and the implementation of SEO tasks.

Duties & Responsibilities

* Responsible for the web and server/DB management and the implementation of SEO tasks
    * Responsible for the design and development of our company web sites, including graphics, animation and functionality
    * Preparing weekly HTML newsletters
    * Analyse data for trends, present results and recommend enhancements
    * Create web banner advertising and recommend advertising sites to support marketing program
    * Continuously seek to improve the usability and performance of websites
    * Create and maintain any micro-sites as directed
    * Prioritise tasks, requests and requirements for different projects from different teams and maintain awareness of their hurdles & successes
    * Work closely with our marketing/product team to deliver online promotional material to run alongside our offline campaigns
    * Circulate efficient and accurate reporting, detailing results of each web marketing campaign and possible improvement

Experience

* At least 5 years commercial experience in a similar role
    * Intermediate/Expert knowledge of ASP (Classic or ASP.net) with experience in database driven websites
    * A minimum of 3 years experience in web graphic design and an intermediate/expert knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Flash
    * Experience using website development software packages including, but not limited to, Dreamweaver and MS Visual Studio
    * A good understanding of Search Engine Optimisation
    * Good problem solving and software design skills alongside the initiative to develop projects from specification to final completion and handover
    * Management of Pay Per Click (PPC) campaigns to achieve optimum ROI (Return On Investment) for individual active search terms for each of the major search engines
    * Strong sense of design, layout, information architecture and navigation of web sites
    * Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail
    * A flexible attitude with proven experience of working in a small team
    * Ability to work both independently and effectively with others

Remuneration
    Annual salary up to €30,000, depending on experience.

To apply for a position, please email your CV to hr@sunway.ie or post to H.R. Department, Sunway Holidays, Marina House, Clarence Street, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin. Please only apply if you have relevant experience as outlined.
    #################################################

A ceiling of 30k for that job, as a I read it i was thinking about 60k...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Non I.T. companies tend to undervalue I.T. people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I think it's brilliant. Mentioned it to a few people on twitter & elsewhere. Glad other people have spotted it. It's totally ridiculous - they're listing the work of 3-4 different people all who should be at least on 40-60k salaries.

If they do find one person who can do everything, they'd be paying about 4 times over what they quote :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

pretty laughable to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bigjohnny80

30k is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,681 ✭✭✭Trampas

I thought that was a crazy wage for this job

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Non I.T. companies tend to undervalue I.T. people.

Even I.T. companies undervalue I.T. people, as most are run by non I.T people. :rolleyes:

I worked in a company a few years back, small finance software house, approx 50 employees, about 1/2 were in I.T related positions and every single one of them were treated like a peace of meat as the so called M.D. was not from an I.T background and only seemed to have any respect for sales/marketing/business dev/finance people in the company..

He even ignored the managers of each of the I.T related departments as he knew best due to his so called business acumen and impressive knowledge of the software industry.

So much so that at the height of the Celtic Tiger boom 5 years ago, the company made 1/3 of its staff redundant the day before I left due to his incompetence resulting in the company losing one of the biggest contracts the it ever had.

This was openly acknowledged by a senior manager of the firm who took out the contract with us at the time to my boss as he had a lot of dealings with him on the technical side of things and they became good mates as a result..

/end of rant

Back on topic, I think a lot of companies seem to think that with so many people out of work, someone with that experience will be desperate enough to do that job for that money and they will work them like a dog with the threat of "if you're not willing to do it, someone else will be" :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i do all of that except
    ' Work closely with our marketing/product team to deliver online promotional material to run alongside our offline campaign'

and im on 3Ok :(:(:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Placebo wrote: »
    i do all of that except
    ' Work closely with our marketing/product team to deliver online promotional material to run alongside our offline campaign'

and im on 3Ok :(:(:(:(:(

Time to get yourself a new job. You should be on €40K+, even with the current state of the nation for that level of work.

In relation to the job, plenty of companies will try this kind of thing. They will hope to get someone who is desperate for work and about to lose their home. I bet they would be lovely to work for. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

hmmm i have 4 years experience at this stage
    2 years in this company

better ask for a raise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Placebo wrote: »
    hmmm i have 4 years experience at this stage
    2 years in this company

better ask for a raise.

In my experience, the only way to get a decent salary increase is to move company. Even if you do get a raise, it's not going to be anywhere near the going rate for that amount of work (~40k)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

And they're falling into the usual trap of thinking that a web developer is the same thing as a web designer.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

See, this is why I keep saying that a job ad without salary information is like a CV without a name on it. There's just too much useful information encoded in that figure about how the job will actually be treating you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Sparks wrote: »
    Great article.

30K for that Sunway job is an absolute joke. There's the bones of at least two full time roles in that spec to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Yeah, when I saw 30k for all of that I thought, good luck, recession or no recession.

they are takin the mick but who knows they may get it ? tough times and all

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The problem with a company that will drop the work of two to three experienced people on the shoulders of one and then pay peanuts, is that that one person is basicly going to be abused for the next few months.

So it's bad for whomever they hire, but it's also bad for them because they'll have a high rate of turnover in the role, and it's also bad for their customers because the work will be shoddy because anyone meeting that spec list can get a lot more money than that elsewhere, so all they'll get is chancers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Sparks wrote: »
    So it's bad for whomever they hire, but it's also bad for them because they'll have a high rate of turnover in the role,

That's it exactly. A lot of qualified people will probably take a job like this for this money if they're desperate but their CVs would still be going out until something better comes along. And it would.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well according to a thread there in 'Work & Jobs', that employers are now hiring a lot of their testers on the FAS WPP and that they have also started to get vb.NET heads this way also.

Personally I think thats a pile of poo but I wasn't going to drag on the thread discussing the ins and outs of .NET with a recruiter. ;)

As per this ad, some companies are pulling the piss with this FAS WPP.

Advertisement