Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Victory!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I don't know what's on that video and frankly, I'm afraid to watch it because I think I would just burst into tears and never stop. I am a complete soft touch where animals are concerned and reading about what this poor boy has been through just breaks my heart.
    God bless you, EGAR, for working on this dog's behalf and giving him a chance of a happy life once more. This is fantastic news. Absolutely fantastic. Can you please give us updates about him and let us know how he's getting over over the next few months?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I hope this decision helps change the legislation - because it's happened again in NI:
    ...Lennox was seized by a dog warden on Wednesday 19th May 2010, following Caroline’s application to renew her dog licenses, a task she attends to annually. Belfast City Council have issued a dog licence for Lennox every year since he was a puppy, this year, after being registered for 5 years as an American Bulldog cross, he was seized under the dangerous dogs act, suspected of being of pit bull type. Until last month Lennox lived happily with the family’s other dogs, an 8 year old male Yorkshire Terrier and a 3 year old female Boxer. Lennox is also insured, neutered, DNA registered, Pet Safe registered and micro chipped. The dog warden came to the Barnes home armed with a dressmakers measuring tape, yes you did read that correctly… And after measuring Lennox’s head the warden decided that he should be seized, that was the last the family have seen of their dog.

Lennox has an underlying medical condition that requires regular treatment from a vet. Caroline does not know whether Lennox is receiving any medication because his physical and mental condition is unknown. There is no council helpline or resources for people like the Barnes family, no updates from the dog warden or the dog control department, no canine welfare reports, no visits, no feedback, no correspondence from the authorities, no comment, no care, no way to find out a thing. This is pure heartbreak. Families who have their dog taken from them in this way just sit and wait by the phone worrying about their pet. It seems the most dreadfully cruel way to treat people and of course the dog, who finds itself in a new and frightening environment.

Human prisoners, no matter how heinous their crime, are allowed a visitor from the outside world. But even the most basic human consideration is denied dog owners, before any court proceedings have taken place. This is nothing short of mental and emotional cruelty, which should have no place in a society such as ours.

From http://www.dogmagazine.net/archives/5892/trial-by-tape-measure-the-story-of-lennox/

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Thats heart breaking, bloody ****ing heart breaking. i dont know what I would do if someone tried to sieze a dog I loved and owned for 5 years. If I knew it would be kept it the kind of conditions that Bruce was kept it, would i euthanise the poor thing before it got taken??

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

Thats heart breaking, bloody ****ing heart breaking. i dont know what I would do if someone tried to sieze a dog I loved and owned for 5 years.

second that! This is truly heinous.... I'm sitting here in total shock at first of all poor Bruce's story (which I hadn't heard before) and now to think of another dog and his family subjected to the same mindless, ignorant and completely incomprehensible treatment. I'm totally agog. :eek:
    I honestly can't think of a single sensible thing to say. Surely to god someone in authority has to see sense regarding these situations. To seize a family pet which hasn't done anything wrong, and indeed has been raised and cared for, to what sounds like very high standards, :mad: it's just incomprehensible...what sort of person could do this????!!!! that poor family and that poor poor dog....it's just so awful. I actually have tears in my eyes just thinking about how scared and confused he must be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Hundreds of dogs are in custody in NI and the UK - their only crime is to look a certain way. Many have died whilst in custody. Bruce and Lennox are just the tip of the ice berg.

http://www.dogmagazine.net/archives/1983/the-scandal-of-dogs-dying-in-police-care-it-must-stop-right-now/

I am involved with DDA cases in NI and UK for a long time and have taken quite a few dogs from NI and UK who were in danger. DDA must be scrapped and only a massive outcry can accomplish this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

It's the arbitrary nature of the seizures that really bothers me.

Have sent an email to the addresses on the Lennox website. Got the stock reply, but at least it's another voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭lisar201

hey egar
    any news on bruce?did u pick him up yet??will u be looking to rehome him or are you going to keep him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I will update as soon as he is here, due to the *marching season* next week the whole thing seems to be on hold until the week after. Everything is arranged just waiting for Alison (solicitor) to call me with a day, time and place.

As for the rest of your question: the dog has been kept in solitary confinement for nearly three years. He will need thorough assessment and rehabilitation. I will decide what his future holds when I have a better idea what his physical and mental state will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Have been following this case for ages, and am thrilled with this fantastic news! Well done EGAR and everyone else involved! :D

that poor poor dog!i hope he is ok i really do but he is going to be in the best hands with yourself!!!I was just wondering if his family that he was taking off be able to have any contact with him or are they not allowed know what is happening with him??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

EGAR wrote: »
    the dog has been kept in solitary confinement for nearly three years. He will need thorough assessment and rehabilitation. I will decide what his future holds when I have a better idea what his physical and mental state will be.

Jeebus, going from a family home to solitary confinement is enough to destroy anyone, let alone a poor dog who did nothing and doesn't understand why he's being treated this way. I hope he settles well with you, EGAR. These cases and this bloody law is breaking my heart.

Het EgarAny word on Bruce?It is a heart breaking story!I really hope he can recover from the whole ordeal! poor inconnet dog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

EGAR you are a hero!!!!! Im sitting here in work holding back tears of joy for both you and Bruce!!!! :D Well done!!!

Advertisement