Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree for front garden,around 15 feet in height?

Options
  • 01-07-2010 11:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,i want to get my boring and drab looking front garden done up with gravel and plants.

Id also like a tree in the front corner of the garden next to my front garden wall.

Im looking for a tree that wont grow any more than say 18 feet tall.Im concious of light and also not annoying my neighbours with a very big and bulky tree in years to come.

Someone suggested to me a multi stem birch tree,as it has lovely silver bark,but its s slim tree and still lets light through and wont grow that big.

My front garden is 6 meters long by 7.5 meters wide

Anyone got any ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

abies koreana - korean fir , has purple upright cones , compact ,narrow growing to five metres aprox , my one is only three feet tall and has beautiful purple cones allready.

ulmus holandica- dwarf elm , beautiful little tree , is a perfect miniature, like a bonsai without the hassle, tiny little leaves in a herringbone pattern , decideous but still looks good in winter.

look em up !:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

abies koreana - korean fir , has purple upright cones , compact ,narrow growing to five metres aprox , my one is only three feet tall and has beautiful purple cones allready.

ulmus holandica- dwarf elm , beautiful little tree , is a perfect miniature, like a bonsai without the hassle, tiny little leaves in a herringbone pattern , decideous but still looks good in winter.

look em up !:)

Thanks for the info,but Im not really after a fir tree/christmass tree style.I think it wouldnt suit my house or garden.

Something like a multi stem silver birch is what i was hoping for,in that it doesnt grow real thick or wide and only has small leaves,and still lets light filter through.

Well thats what a mate told me anyway

Any sort of slim tree like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

ah i see ! how about a rowan - mountain ash, casts little shade flowers in early summer gets berries and some varieties have good autumn colour .
    rhus typhinia lacinata -stags horn sumach, small multi stemed tree great autumn colour. acer griseum-paper bark maple, fantastic bark good aunumn colour,
    the silver birch is nice but also look up himalayan birch - betula utlis jackmontii , wonderfull white bark, if you could get a multi stemed example of it , would be my winner !:) you could plant three 5-6 foot singles in the planting hole and would be good.;) good luck with whatever you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Why not try a Japanese Acer, or maple? Thye don't grow very tall, and add a lot of colour and interest to a garden, with beautiful red foliage. Very easy to grow and care for, and can be easily found in any decent garden centre.

shinikins wrote: »
    Why not try a Japanese Acer, or maple? Thye don't grow very tall, and add a lot of colour and interest to a garden, with beautiful red foliage. Very easy to grow and care for, and can be easily found in any decent garden centre.

Ive 2 of them in me back garden,but they are only around 3.5 feet high.1 is red and the other is normal green.

Just kinda like the idea of a tallish but slim ish tree like a silver birch or something along that lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

paddy147 wrote: »
    Ive 2 of them in me back garden,but they are only around 3.5 feet high.1 is red and the other is normal green.

Just kinda like the idea of a tallish but slim ish tree like a silver birch or something along that lines.

A birch can grow up to 40feet or more. Perhaps a dwarf fruit tree like a cherry or plum, plenty of colour again, but very limited growth heightwise. Or if you don't like fruit tree's(they do need a little more attention than non fruiting tree's) try a Gingko or Dogwood.

shinikins wrote: »
    A birch can grow up to 40feet or more. Perhaps a dwarf fruit tree like a cherry or plum, plenty of colour again, but very limited growth heightwise. Or if you don't like fruit tree's(they do need a little more attention than non fruiting tree's) try a Gingko or Dogwood.

The missus and myself are gonna take a trip out to Tulleys Nurseries tomorrow to have a look around and see whats what.

Advertisement