Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stock Photos for a Freelance web designer

Options
  • 01-07-2010 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm hoping to register as a sole trader in the next 2 weeks doing freelance web design and development.

I just have a question regarding the use of photos for client's websites. A few people (friends and family) that I've previously done websites for have needed photos for their sites. These are generally stock photos that I'd need for a flash header or whatever. Usually I go out with my own camera and take appropriate photos. However, this does take a lot of time. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a good website which has a good selection of stock photos for a small fee (or preferably free). I've done a bit of a Google search but would appreciate your insight.

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

lots of free stock imagery (or varying quality and quantity) on http://www.sxc.hu/

(note; not everything is free - some contributors seek attribution or contact with them if you are going to use the image)

Also try wikimedia, and searching flickr for stuff licenced under creative commons (again be careful as to the particular form of licence that is provided for - for example, you may be able to use an image but not if you are intending to include it as part of a chargeable piece of work)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

http://istockphoto.com is one of the best known. Very wide range of images.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

yeah i use istock in work, cause boss pays for it.
    Otherwise though its a bit pricey, 2O euros for a photo is the going rate !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Placebo wrote: »

I use iStockPhoto and the prices aren't that bad? You buy credits and then download images using them. The amount of credits an image requires is dependent on the size & resolution

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lostinspace

Thanks for your responses. They're very much appreciated. I guess one the the key things to note is the license that comes with the photos. I'll have a look at those sites there now (after brazil and holland!). thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

iStock is dead cheap for what you get. You know you don't always have to buy the large sizes, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Their Vetta Collection is 20 credits for a small image. You can exclude those from search results.
    The non-Vetta ones are often as cheap as 3 credits for a small image (~600px).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

http://depositphotos.com/ is one i've been using the past few weeks instead of istock .. quaility is decent.

Their small image sizes tend to be larger than istock (.5 credits per small image) for less money and MUCH less for vectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

If you think 20 euro for a photo is pricey you should look around. Until they came along with their 'semi-pro' photos, stock photos were in the 100s. If you can't fit 20 euro into your design/development budget, then you've got a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

iStock - is very good, if you need chearper, try www.dreamstime.com!

• Advertisement
Advertisement