Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet 24mbit BB

• 01-07-2010 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I've ordered Magnet BB the other day.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes before they send you the router? They have told me the line has been activated.

Secondly, I have an issue (already posted on the 'Phone Socket Wiring' thread)

I have just ordered Magnet Broadband, and apparently my line has tested fine for up to 24mbit BB.

Now, I have not had a phone (apart from NTL) since moving to this Duplex (it is new).

So, I have discovered I have no NTU installed, but the line is active.

I have a blank over a socket (I'm assuming is Eircom wiring) with 4 pairs of wires - all white rolleyes.gif

1) Are Eircom obliged to send an engineer out to install the NTU?
    2) If not, can I get an NTU and install it myself?
    3) Should there be any signal coming through the phone line, so I can use a multimeter to test which pair is carrying the signal?

I have the Eircom NTU guide PDF, its fairly simple stuff, so no worries connecting it myself if needs be, but I need to somehow test which pair is carrying the line....

Any help mucho appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

I have Magnet 24 mb package also, after order confirmation, it took 1 week to receive the modem, and 10 days after that the line was working. We had active Eircom line before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

finnteme wrote: »
    I have Magnet 24 mb package also, after order confirmation, it took 1 week to receive the modem, and 10 days after that the line was working. We had active Eircom line before that.

Cool, was just curious!

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Cool, was just curious!

All going ok now?

All going ok now?

Hi Rory,

You might be able to sort this out for me.

I have not yet received the modem/router (I hadn't expected it yet) but upon testing the lines in my apartment, I cannot find a voltage across any of the pairs, leading me to believe Eircom have not yet activated the line.

Is it Magnet's responsibility to ensure this is carried out at the exchange by Eircom?

If I contact Eircom and get them to do it, they will ask for line rental - which of course I'm paying to Magnet.

(I also need to get an NTU installed, so can either do it myself if I get my hands on one, or an Eircom engineer will have to come out to do it).

Can this be arranged by Magnet?

Many thanks for your time.

Hi Rory,

You might be able to sort this out for me.

I have not yet received the modem/router (I hadn't expected it yet) but upon testing the lines in my apartment, I cannot find a voltage across any of the pairs, leading me to believe Eircom have not yet activated the line.

Is it Magnet's responsibility to ensure this is carried out at the exchange by Eircom?

If I contact Eircom and get them to do it, they will ask for line rental - which of course I'm paying to Magnet.

(I also need to get an NTU installed, so can either do it myself if I get my hands on one, or an Eircom engineer will have to come out to do it).

Can this be arranged by Magnet?

Many thanks for your time.

On the Magnet ADSL2+ service there is no voltage over the line. The voltage comes from your wall socket.

If you like I can check your service, it may have been switched already.

• Advertisement

On the Magnet ADSL2+ service there is no voltage over the line. The voltage comes from your wall socket.

If you like I can check your service, it may have been switched already.

That would be great Rory.

Also, if that's the case - how can I test which pair are carrying the signal? I could get an RJ-11 with 2 wires from it, connect it to the modem, and attach them to each pair until the modem picks up the signal, so I know which pair to connect...

Can I PM you the details to check for me?

That would be great Rory.

Also, if that's the case - how can I test which pair are carrying the signal? I could get an RJ-11 with 2 wires from it, connect it to the modem, and attach them to each pair until the modem picks up the signal, so I know which pair to connect...

Can I PM you the details to check for me?

I think you are referring to the RJ11 wall socket? PM me the details and we can look into the case.

Just received the router this morning, so hopefully won't be too long before the line is working :)

Hmm, just noticed the router is wireless 802.11g max.

So I will never get my full 24Mbit/s connection (wireles)? 802.11g usually averages ~22Mbit/s...

Will Magnet be updating the routers at any stage?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hmm, just noticed the router is wireless 802.11g max.

So I will never get my full 24Mbit/s connection (wireles)? 802.11g usually averages ~22Mbit/s...

Will Magnet be updating the routers at any stage?

Is your line short enough that you'll even get close to 24 megs, that this will be an issue?

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    Is your line short enough that you'll even get close to 24 megs, that this will be an issue?

Not sure man. I only received the router in work this morning, and not sure if the ADSL is even activated yet, so I have no idea what my maximum throughput will be.

'twas just a curiosity. (and currently arguing the point from a consumer point of view on the UPC thread).

The issue isn't specific to Magnet.

**edit

Is there a list anywhere to the exact locations of the Eircom exchanges?

SO I received the router, could';t be easier to set up. Plug in. Connect wirelessly.

But this is what has me concerned. There appears to be no security on the connection, so technically anyone within the range of the router will be able to access my network / internet.

Needless to say, I'm not exactly happy about this as surely even some basic security config should be possible?

I cannot get to a config page for the router.

Can this be done with this router? Can I get another ADSL2+ router and configure that for the Magnet network instead - at least I'd be able to set up my security etc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

SO I received the router, could';t be easier to set up. Plug in. Connect wirelessly.

But this is what has me concerned. There appears to be no security on the connection, so technically anyone within the range of the router will be able to access my network / internet.

Needless to say, I'm not exactly happy about this as surely even some basic security config should be possible?

I cannot get to a config page for the router.

Can this be done with this router? Can I get another ADSL2+ router and configure that for the Magnet network instead - at least I'd be able to set up my security etc

You need to get Magnet customer services to alter the router.

You can (once the wireless is deactivated ideally) put your own router (plain router, not ADSL2+ modem included) between the modem and you.

Alternately it may be possible to use your own modem in bridge mode (not PPPoE that is) in place of the Telsey but I never got the chance to experiment and try that for myself.

You need to get Magnet customer services to alter the router.

You can (once the wireless is deactivated ideally) put your own router (plain router, not ADSL2+ modem included) between the modem and you.

Alternately it may be possible to use your own modem in bridge mode (not PPPoE that is) in place of the Telsey but I never got the chance to experiment and try that for myself.

That would be my preferred option - I'd not not have 2 routers daisy-chained if possible, its just messy and shouldn't really be required...

That would be my preferred option - I'd not not have 2 routers daisy-chained if possible, its just messy and shouldn't really be required...

But the Telsey isn't a router, it's stuck in bridge mode only. With a single router attached, it's transparent and won't interfere.

But the Telsey isn't a router, it's stuck in bridge mode only. With a single router attached, it's transparent and won't interfere.

But it still means 2 devices, which I'd rather not. It wasn't technical messy-ness I was referring to, just having to have modem-router is annoying :(

I'd rather just have the one modem/router that I can configure, and apply some level of security to.

I don't understand why they don't allow access to securing the connection :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Nikkit2010

Hi Dublin Gunner,

Could you please post your speed and ping results when you get sorted out.
    Thanks

Nikkit2010 wrote: »
    Hi Dublin Gunner,

Could you please post your speed and ping results when you get sorted out.
    Thanks

Eh, when the line is active I'll throw up a pingtest & speedtest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fl0wder

Does anyone know if Magnet will sell 24mb off the Balbriggan exchange - the line checker keeps quoting me swift (?) whilst eircon/vodafone suggest 24mb packages?

fl0wder wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Magnet will sell 24mb off the Balbriggan exchange - the line checker keeps quoting me swift (?) whilst eircon/vodafone suggest 24mb packages?

We dont have equipment there, the swift pack is a 8.1Mb down, 800kb up. It all depends on your line and what its capable of. Do you have a phone line already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

fl0wder wrote: »

I doubt it. For the last 3.5 days they can't supply me ANYTHING. But I'm sure they'll get the bull right.

Well it appears my service has been activated - noting the solid light on the modem, and an SSID change.

However, its asking me for a WEP kep, of which I have not been informed...

Anyone know what the standard WEP key should be? i.e MAG00[serial number] or something?

Well it appears my service has been activated - noting the solid light on the modem, and an SSID change.

However, its asking me for a WEP kep, of which I have not been informed...

Anyone know what the standard WEP key should be? i.e MAG00[serial number] or something?

http://www.facebook.com/rory.deegan#!/video/video.php?v=446495995802&ref=mf

877031028.png

Happy enough with that :)

Could be faster, I'll have to see if I can get my line stats somewhere..

20255346.png

Quality is excellent. Hopefully it stays that way :)

Update.

Update, used Magnet's 'boost' feature

877352621.png

NOt much of a boost. Though their site says I was receiving 23Mbps before Boost, so can only assume its the modem / router causing the speed issue?

Update.

Update, used Magnet's 'boost' feature

877352621.png

NOt much of a boost. Though their site says I was receiving 23Mbps before Boost, so can only assume its the modem / router causing the speed issue?

Are you running the speedtest over wireless?

Are you running the speedtest over wireless?

Yeah. shouldn't be an issue though, 54Mbps connection, and 100% signal strength.

Receive link speed never goes above 48Mbps though, and regularly drops to 36Mbps...

**because of where the Eircom socket is in my place (kitchen), my only option is wireless.

I may get a long phone cable, and route i to the room where my PC is (is only in the next room, and the wall is paper thin, and both doors are open), and connect the router beside the PC.

Still a pain.

Link quality 100%, signal strength 100%, but my receive link speed is generally 36Mbps, jumping the odd time to 48Mbps, never 56.

Must be the Telsey router. Never had this issue with my crappy NTL Cisco 2425...

Yeah. shouldn't be an issue though, 54Mbps connection, and 100% signal strength.

Yes, it'll be an issue. Wifi throughput won't reach the claimed speeds. Try it with a long ethernet cable briefly. A long phone cable merely risks more attenuation and noise.

Yes, it'll be an issue. Wifi throughput won't reach the claimed speeds. Try it with a long ethernet cable briefly. A long phone cable merely risks more attenuation and noise.

I'll give it a shot when I grab a cable long enough.

Well working it out, 54Mbps wifi should get 24Mbps~, but my issue here is its not even connecting at 54Mbps. (my crappy 2425 from UPC does, however).

I'd need maybe a 15m ethernet cable - think Peats have a 20m on for 9.99

I do have a reel of Cat5 in the office, but I don't have the crimp tool to terminate it to the connectors...

• Advertisement

Sppedtest.net is pretty accurate.

Just downloaded a driver from Lexmark.com, and it downloaded at ~2060KB/s

So thats roughly what I was getting on the speedtest website.

2060x8 = 16480kbps

Advertisement