Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your #1 CAO choice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Yeah, me too. If I don't get a place in Hall I'll have to commute every day from Tipperary. :o
    What? That's crazy. What's stopping you from going into digs or renting a room in a shared house?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I am probably not getting campus in UCD (I'm number 1723 out of 747 on the priority list) so I'm looking for digs! I hope digs aren't too strict - campus would be ideal, but I'm 95% sure I'm not getting it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

going to look at accommadation tomorrow in Cork.. I hope its nice :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

cork*girl wrote: »
    going to look at accommadation tomorrow in Cork.. I hope its nice :P

I bet you you'll get Mary I! :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

tammyme wrote: »
    I would love to do a proper psych course too but points are crazy!
    the first year that psych course was introduced, it was direct entry. i wanted to apply to it so i went down there (i'm from cork) and met a woman who was going to be one of the lecturers. i told her what i wanted out of it (to go on and do a masters or doctorate in clinical or experimental psych) and she was the one who told me that it wld be a complete waste of my time as i wouldn't be able to use it for any further studies as it wasn't a recognised course!! (I was GUTTED!!) she said that they were hoping to get university status in the next 10 yrs and then they wld be able to apply to have it recognised but thats no use to anyone doing it now.

Would you consider social science with social care? (for nxt yr maybe or if there are any vacant places)
    thats the one i applied for and got at the time but decided i didn't want to leave cork (i'm a total homebird!)

Its like a mix of childcare and psych with some other interesting modules thrown in!
    i've done an Applied psych and social studies plc course and a Social Care plc course and they were very similar in parts.
    Hope this might be of some help!:)

What do mean by 'it's not recognised?'. By whom?? A certificate/diploma in anything won't get you into a masters course. But surely it's recognised by FETAC if it's in WIT.

This course would be helpful if someone was trying to get entry as a mature student to Psych. It shows that you have some experience studying the subject and that you enjoyed it and want to go on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

dory wrote: »
    What do mean by 'it's not recognised?'. By whom?? A certificate/diploma in anything won't get you into a masters course. But surely it's recognised by FETAC if it's in WIT.

This course would be helpful if someone was trying to get entry as a mature student to Psych. It shows that you have some experience studying the subject and that you enjoyed it and want to go on.

Was talking to my Guidance teacher about this also. Its not recognised by the Psychologysts of Ireland Association or whatever its called. Bit of a kick in the balls innit!?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

THFC wrote: »
    Was talking to my Guidance teacher about this also. Its not recognised by the Psychologysts of Ireland Association or whatever its called. Bit of a kick in the balls innit!?

I still think it doesn't totally rule out the course. As I said, it could be a stepping stone to a degree course. A friend of mine did a web building course that was some commercial rip off, not recognised by anyone. But, the college he later applied to saw it as him having a long term commitment to the career (as in, didn't just see it in a brochure and apply without a thought).

If you really want to be a Psychologist, I wouldn't rule this out. If you want any career you can at least study it (getting a job is often a different story). You just may have to take a roundabout route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

I bet you you'll get Mary I! :p

I bet you €20 I wont. deal? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Yeah, it really is, I have absolutely no idea what to do now, I had a bit of a plan, but now I'm not sure. Really glad I found out about this before Iw ent ahead with my plan though.

http://www.psihq.ie/accred_UnderGradList.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

If it's not recgonised by the Irish psycology society (or whatever it's called, it's BPS in the uk so look for that too ) Don't Go Near It. My bf's just got his degree in psychology and they said the exact same thing - you'd have to do a masters for definite then and it's the long way in really. Sure you're dedicated but it's a real 'climbing ladder' of a career so honestly I'd advise you Really strongly to Try and shorten it down as much as you can because it'll cost to do so many years at uni and if it's not recognised, you'll spend ages at it. Do a hell of a lot of research if you can during the course as well - it's a real catch 22 with it because most jobs won't hire you without experience and it's impossible to get the jobs to get the experience! So try do research, volunteering etc to boost you up a little against everyone else. If you can try get a BsC rather than BA as well - much better to have a science degree in that field rather than arts.

Just a little advice from what I've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Nobody for European Studies in Trinity then? :rolleyes: Fantastic!
    Nobody else has mentioned my second choice either, History and Political Science in TCD.....happy days :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Nobody for humanities in ST Pat's! happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

All the way from tipp? God that would be awful, we can just build a cardboard house on campus or something to live in :D what do you have down second?

Haha, there's an idea. :D

Theoretical Physics, Trinity. Yourself?

Lawliet wrote: »
    What? That's crazy. What's stopping you from going into digs or renting a room in a shared house?

I left my search for accomodation way too late. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭lucybrown

business and management in DIT 410

no hope im getting it :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

EmilyO wrote: »
    Nobody for European Studies in Trinity then? :rolleyes: Fantastic!

Sorry to disappoint... I know of 6 people in my year alone with it down as 1st pref ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dazco

Theoretical Physics in Trinity
    Physics and Chemistry of Advanced Materials - Trinity
    and Science in Trinity

gettin' scared by the amount of people saying science.....

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

dazco wrote: »
    Theoretical Physics in Trinity

Theoretical Physics in Trinity was my first choice, but I changed it to second.

Yay, someone else I'll be sharing a part of the maths course with. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Actuarial Maths in UCD
    Actuarial Maths in DCU
    Common Entry Maths (Financial, Applicable, Actuarial) in DCU
    Mathematics in TCD

+ 1, deferred last year! Cant wait:P

Hope you get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dazco

Theoretical Physics in Trinity was my first choice, but I changed it to second.

Yay, someone else I'll be sharing a part of the maths course with. :D

I actually have pure maths down 4th or 5th i think......

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Yuugib wrote: »
    + 1, deferred last year! Cant wait:P

Hope you get it!

Oh somebody else doing Actuary! Best of luck! Lets hope the points don't go up. I really don't mind which I get, UCD or DCU, but I'd prefer not to do common entry mathematics if I can help it, as you are not guaranteed to be allowed to stream into actuarial mathematics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I left my search for accomodation way too late. :o
    Don't be silly. Plenty of people leave it till after the results to look for a place. I know people from last year who got digs in Dublin after the offers were out. Look on rent.ie and other websites, if you're really stuck there's probably people at college who can help you get a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 casadenikki

Haha, there's an idea. :D

Theoretical Physics, Trinity. Yourself?

Oh awesome, I've general science down but the plan would be to go into more physics in second year and kinda astronomy spacey stuff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭tammyme

dory wrote: »

Its not a full fetac award- component cert only when i checked although maybe its diff now.
    its not recognised by the Psychological Society of Ireland. i'm sure its prob a good course if ur just interested but if you wanted to use it as a career path and didn't know in advance it wld b very dissapointing!!
    If you wanted to go on as a mature student in say Cork, there are only 4 places and competition is nuts!!!
    they tend to take middle aged students with lots of life experiance- a guy i went to plc college with was in his mid forties, had served as a prison officer in america for years, worked as a counsellor (i believe he had a degree) and had a lot of other experience and was turned down 3 yrs in a row for it!.he eventually got it though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭tammyme

its a bitch alright!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 EabhaMae

Early Years and Childhood Studies
    Early Childhood Education and Care
    Early Childhood Studies

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kirkfx

Architecture UCD
    Architecture DIT
    Architecture UCC
    Architecture WIT

I got enough points for DIT but im hoping UCD's might come down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

dazco wrote: »
    gettin' scared by the amount of people saying science.....

I think you're seeing what you expect to see! Just read the whole thread and theres not that many at all and very few people have straight science as #1. Arts and Law look like the big players!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lovelyrita

Modern Languages @ UCD

anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

anyone have level 6/7 as biosciences dit or science dit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭citizenerased1

thought this was post your number 1 not every feckin one!:pac:

law and business UCD (20 points off though :/ *feckin hear*)

Advertisement