Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lemon oven chips

Options
  • 02-07-2010 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭

Hi All.

Was cooking fish on Tuesday night and (for once) had lemons in the house, so I decided to get a little adventurous. I whacked three potatoes cut into chunky chips into a freezer bag with the juice of half a large lemon (and some of the flesh), a dash of olive oil, a fair whack of black pepper and a little salt and left it there for about half an hour, turning twice or three times to make sure the chips were well coated.

When I baked them in the oven I just put them on foil on a baking tray, but was looking at the box of foil while eating dinner and it says not to use citrus fruits or rhubarb with the foil. I'd never heard that before, is there any way I can get around it other than oiling the foil or baking directly on the baking sheet as I'm not keen on either option (especially as there is already oil in the lemon/seasoning marinade-y mix).

I loved the chips, which went great with the fish, but am reluctant to use the foil again with them until I can get more information.

Any tips would be greatly welcomed (as would any suggestions for improving the chips - although they are pretty mouthwatering as is! :D).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just do them on the baking tray.
    Why the foil?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You could use baking parchment or greaseproof paper. Also, boiling the wedges until almost tender before putting them in the oven makes them soft on the inside and crisp on the outside.

beer revolu, I always use parchment because it makes the washing up easier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

but you get crispiness from the hot metal.
    And no land fill!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

"Tin" foil is usually aluminium foil, and aluminium will react with acids. I am not sure if it just imparts flavour or is actually bad for you, I expect it creates salts. Also it would be worse to wrap lemon slices in foils for a week compared to cooking them in 30mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

+1 for the baking parchment or silicone paper, it gives all of the crispiness of the baking sheet with less of the mess, doesn't react with the lemon....

Nice idea with the lemon chips, will try that tonight!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If you liked that, try this - in a baking dish

Pre-heat the oven to about 200 degrees c.

Cut as many floury potatoes as you feel like eating into thick wedges - skin on or peeled, as per your preference.

Wipe a baking dish with oil to assist in non-stick-ness, and add about a tablespoon extra of olive oil. Toss the chunks into the baking dish. Add two stalks of fresh rosemary, the zest and juice of one lemon, and a liberal helping of pepper and salt. Toss the chunks to liberally coat in oil, lemon and seasoning, and bruise up the rosemary.

Boil the kettle, and pour enough boiling water into the baking dish to come about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way up the potatoes. (Use a baking dish of the size that the potatoes you're cooking fill the dish in a single layer, as opposed to being stacked, or rattling around in there with plenty of extra room). Put in the oven and bake - the finished product you want will be cooked and golden and excellent with baked fish. No need for any tinfoil.

Advertisement