Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darren Barker v Matthew Macklin - LG Arena, Birmingham - 18th September

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 longwaytipp

is that a good or a bad thing because freddie and joe will have two different game plans

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

kilburn wrote: »
    Is that the same lad Lee wants to fight?

Yes it's the same guy Lee was looking to fight, unfortunately for Lee whoever wins this fight will be seen as too far above him to make a fight happen.
    He's not going to be able to force being mandatory on anyone without getting some good wins(or signing up with a German or Italian promoter), and neither Macklin or Barker will be interested in him as a voluntary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Dirty whore!

Draw/No Contest
    Big Ears wrote: »
    Yes it's the same guy Lee was looking to fight, unfortunately for Lee whoever wins this fight will be seen as too far above him to make a fight happen.
    He's not going to be able to force being mandatory on anyone without getting some good wins(or signing up with a German or Italian promoter), and neither Macklin or Barker will be interested in him as a voluntary.
    I read on joe.ie that sturm called lees team asking would he be interested so he might get a world title shot before macklin and barker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I read on joe.ie that sturm called lees team asking would he be interested so he might get a world title shot before macklin and barker.

If the fight doesn't take place in Mainland Europe he should be interested.

Draw/No Contest
    unknown13 wrote: »
    If the fight doesn't take place in Mainland Europe he should be interested.
    He said he would jump at the chance to fight sturm but we will see.I personally dont think lee gives a **** about the EBU belt judging by his interviews after last fight and fighting in a america from now on proves that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

The word going round is that Rubio will be the man to get the shot against Sturm. Lee most likely will be concentrating on fighting in America for the next while and most likely look to get one of the two WBA champions in the ring at some point, however if he were offered a fight with Barker(were he to beat Macklin) I doubt it would be refused. Of course Barker's camp probably aren't going to go out and pursue Lee anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Big Ears wrote: »
    The word going round is that Rubio will be the man to get the shot against Sturm. Lee most likely will be concentrating on fighting in America for the next while and most likely look to get one of the two WBA champions in the ring at some point, however if he were offered a fight with Barker(were he to beat Macklin) I doubt it would be refused. Of course Barker's camp probably aren't going to go out and pursue Lee anyway.

There are also rumours of Rubio is fighting Lemieux next on the Pascal v Dawson undercard. A guy on a forum who claims to be in the know says the fight is pretty much signed. (Could be bullpoo)

Obviously, if Rubio is offered both, he'll fight Sturm but there might still be a glimmer of hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

magma69 wrote: »
    There are also rumours of Rubio is fighting Lemieux next on the Pascal v Dawson undercard. A guy on a forum who claims to be in the know says the fight is pretty much signed. (Could be bullpoo)

Obviously, if Rubio is offered both, he'll fight Sturm but there might still be a glimmer of hope.

just addin a link for reference for lemieux's next fight (opponent tbc obv) http://boxrec.com/date_search.php?yyyy=2010&mm=08&dd=14

Draw/No Contest
    http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/sturm-rubio-not-set-53646 Looks like rubio is not fighting sturm after all maybe still a very slight chance andy might get his shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Macklin by KO/TKO
    Booked my flights, hotel and tickets for this, now i just pray this card doesn't fall apart. One good thing i heard is that it's on Sky box office which hopefully means they'll have to keep this card as good as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭BoxingIrel.com

Macklin going to camp in LA, Barker going to Tenerife

http://www.boxing-ireland.com/20100726_barkers_camp_46.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Boooourns wrote: »
    Booked my flights, hotel and tickets for this, now i just pray this card doesn't fall apart. One good thing i heard is that it's on Sky box office which hopefully means they'll have to keep this card as good as possible.

all done aswel.it better not fall apart it's happened twice already to me going to macklin fights!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭H. Flashman

If Matthew wins this it would be brilliant if he could get a title shot or maybe he could get a fight with Pavlik that would be class.

One of the best Macklin articles I've read - and it was written by one of our own forumistas (no me btw)

Enjoy!

http://boxing-ireland.com/macklin_part_ii_69.html

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Benny Lava

Ladbrokes have Macklin by in the 7th, 8th or 9th at 9/1.

Could be worth a tenner.

makl wrote: »
    just addin a link for reference for lemieux's next fight (opponent tbc obv) http://boxrec.com/date_search.php?yyyy=2010&mm=08&dd=14

confirmed http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=389447&cat=boxer

Video -

"I will have too much for Barker. I’m a lot more experienced than he is, stronger, hit harder, better chin and I just think I am an all round better fighter than he is" - simples!

http://boxing-ireland.com/20100814_matthew_macklin_video_gallagher_24.html

Snappy Snaps -

http://boxing-ireland.com/20100813_macklin_trains_la_26.html

:D

Macklin by KO/TKO
    I'm absolutley fuming, Barker has pulled out with a hip injury with less than 3 weeks to go, it's the only fight i really wanted to see. Tickets, flights and hotel booked F*************************************k!

• Advertisement

Macklin by KO/TKO
    makl wrote: »

Yeah that's the article, it also hints at Macklin nearly expecting something to happen. I have no doubt Macklin wanted the fight, Barker on the other hand....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

All bark and no bite!!! (sorry... someone had to say it :P )
    Ragin. Even though its a stacked card this is a major blow to it. Macklin is destined for bigger things but this was to a proper grudge match.
    Warren has his work cut out for him getting Macklin a meaningful match now. A world title fight wont be happening on the 18th nor will a duddy or lee match.
    Macklin-Barker was a fight for the fans and one that Barker should have been greatful to get.

Everyone is bringing up Lee's name but id rather see Macklin-Lee duke it out on rte's pro box live. A few potential replacements are mentioned here but you cant beat a grudge match: http://www.boxing-ireland.com/20100902_darren_barker_back_out_50.html

Macklin must be very annoyed as well as I bet he was hyped for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Benny Lava

Not a hope Macklin will get a decent opponent at this late stage.

An opponent probably wouldn't even be of the Belghecham standard if a fight were to go ahead.

I'm gutted, I was really looking forward to this fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

What a **** year it has been for Macklin (and boxing fans too for that matter). My condolences to anyone who forked out to head over. Should still be a good night though.

Macklin by KO/TKO
    joepenguin wrote: »

Turning into a joke this now, two off in two days and only 16 days to the night....coincidence?

Boooourns wrote: »
    Turning into a joke this now, two off in two days and only 16 days to the night....coincidence?

Nah, its a warren card that looked too good to be true. It always happen. If the card was announced withou rhodes i wouldnt have noticed and still looked forward to it but its now gone from a super card, to a better than average warren card. Only a big name for macklin would change that but at just over 2 weeks notice I doubt it.
    The only plus that can come from Rhodes been out is that Warren has more funds for a mack opponent. Coincidence *cough*

Macklin by KO/TKO
    Haha hope you're right there.

• Advertisement

Winky Wright where y'at? :pac:

Advertisement