Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help please!

• 02-07-2010 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi,

When i was let go from my job last October 2009 I went travelling with my savings arriving home last April 2010.

I've been on jobseekers since April.

Is it possible to get claim stamps for the period i was away?

I know I'm not entitled to any money for that period but it might help my case for Back To Education Allowance (i start a course in September and will only have been on Jobseekers for 5/6 months) if this period was a least recognized as me being unemployed.

Any advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

juanace wrote: »
    Hi,

When i was let go from my job last October 2009 I went travelling with my savings arriving home last April 2010.

I know I'm not entitled to any money for that period but it might help my case for Back To Education Allowance (i start a course in September and will only have been on Jobseekers for 5/6 months) if this period was a least recognized as me being unemployed.

No it is not possible to do that the welfare system is there to help people who are struggling clearly you were not as you had money to leave to country and go travelling
    JSA/JSB is only for people who are unemployed and are actively seeking work while you where abroad you where not actively seeking employment in ireland
    you cant have your cake and eat it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭juanace

Well first off i was not eating cake!

I was let go from my job and INSTEAD of being a burden on the state i went travelling with what i had worked hard for and earned.

I don't want money for that period!

I was just asking the question whether there's some way that period can be recognized towards getting Back To Education Allowance.

I'm getting the impression I'd have been better to sit on my ass for a year being a burden on the state and claiming the dole, rather that do something productive, using my savings and not claiming the dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

No because you were out of the country you cannot claim credits for that period. If you were working or claiming in another European country you could transfer those credits but otherwise unfortunately not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

cAr0l wrote: »
    No because you were out of the country you cannot claim credits for that period. If you were working or claiming in another European country you could transfer those credits but otherwise unfortunately not.

In the UK you can ( or could; I am maybe out of date on this) "buy" stamps for periods like this , wherever you were.

I think that this is what the OP means? It is not being credited with working but simply a way of paying into the system against eg a future pension. We were offered this right up to pension age, to increase our basic pension.

Wondring if Ireland has any similar scheme? Makes so much sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well first off i was not eating cake!

I was let go from my job and INSTEAD of being a burden on the state i went travelling with what i had worked hard for and earned.

I don't want money for that period!

I was just asking the question whether there's some way that period can be recognized towards getting Back To Education Allowance.

I'm getting the impression I'd have been better to sit on my ass for a year being a burden on the state and claiming the dole, rather that do something productive, using my savings and not claiming the dole.

You did well... VERY well.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Graces7 wrote: »
    In the UK you can ( or could; I am maybe out of date on this) "buy" stamps for periods like this , wherever you were.

I think that this is what the OP means? It is not being credited with working but simply a way of paying into the system against eg a future pension. We were offered this right up to pension age, to increase our basic pension.

Wondring if Ireland has any similar scheme? Makes so much sense

You cannot buy stamps for periods of absences out of the country. If you were working or claiming in another EU country you can transfer credits over here.
    There are certain situations where you are entitled to credited vontributions - some periods of study and homemaking for example. Do a search for credited contributions on www.welfare.ie for more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Hi,

From my understanding you can so long as you were working from jan 09, thay take the previous calander year not the current year, so as long as you contributed in 09 you will be entitled to "X" number of weeks payment, depending on how many contribuations you made ;)

Advertisement