Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfinished building off North Wall Quay

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Alias G wrote: »
    Will end up a hotel. It has 360 panoramic views and is ideally located.

Was the Central Bank in Dame street not the original location of Jury's Hotel, before it moved to Ballsbridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Will end up a hotel. It has 360 panoramic views and is ideally located.

the building is probably completely unsuited to hotel use though (given it's age it's probably not particularly suited to modern office use either).

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

loyatemu wrote: »
    the building is probably completely unsuited to hotel use though (given it's age it's probably not particularly suited to modern office use either).

I'm open to correction but wasn't the central bank designed with open plan office space surrounding two internal service shafts. Would be feasible to retrofit either hotel rooms or modern office space in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I'm open to correction but wasn't the central bank designed with open plan office space surrounding two internal service shafts. Would be feasible to retrofit either hotel rooms or modern office space in that case.

it could make an ideal niteclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

What will happen to the Dame Street monstrosity? Any chance, no matter how small, of that abuse of architecture being ripped down?

What's wrong with it? I think it's one of the best modern buildings in Dublin, and it fits well as the centrepiece of the plaza.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    What's wrong with it? I think it's one of the best modern buildings in Dublin, and it fits well as the centrepiece of the plaza.

I'd agree with that, I've always like the look of it.

I've noticed a satellite dish a couple of floors up on the nama building when I was walking from the o2 last year, I was wondering had security set themselves up with some tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Was the Central Bank in Dame street not the original location of Jury's Hotel, before it moved to Ballsbridge?

The original Jury’s was a few doors up, at the corner of Angelsea St (the old Eircell building) – a whole city block was levelled for the Central Bank

Original Jurys -

http://www.geograph.ie/photo/3353098
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/29836416256089350/

Everything in red was demolished for the Central Bank, as well as dozens of others behind it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

What's now Bloom's Hotel was built as an extension to Jury's but survived the demolition. You can still drink in the main bar of Jury's but you have to go to Zurich: it's now the James Joyce Pub there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Cool Mo D wrote: »

What was there before it out of interest? Im just not a fan of any modern architecture really, I think the central bank is godawful and downright ugly, brutalist nonsense.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What was there before it out of interest? Im just not a fan of any modern architecture really, I think the central bank is godawful and downright ugly, brutalist nonsense.

It's now a protected structure!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

What was there before it out of interest?
    It was a continuous terrace. The building on the east side of the plaza is a copy of one of the ones that used to face out onto Dame Street along there.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Check the picture in my previous post - everything highlighted in red was demolished for the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Everything in red was demolished for the Central Bank, as well as dozens of others behind it

Now I'm even more annoyed than I was before. Any of those buildings on their own are nicer than the central bank. Ridiculous behavior whoever signed off on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Now I'm even more annoyed than I was before. Any of those buildings on their own are nicer than the central bank. Ridiculous behavior whoever signed off on it.

Planners (generally) don't dictate planning permission based on whether a building is nice or not. Nice is subjective and personal, nice changes over time, nice could be disappointing when what is built is not exactly what was rendered.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,890 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Builders onsite doing... something this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 23,720 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What will the foreign camera crews have to gawk at when it's finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Contacted Walls Construction head office this morning and was informed that they have commenced work on the site and expect to ramp up the fit out work next month with a view to completion in 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

LOads of banging going on there this morning and plrenty of workmen to be seen on 3/4th floor...

Lets hope we will soon finally see some progress!

Advertisement