Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ammo from USA

Options
  • 02-07-2010 4:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

I travel to the USA 3 or 4 times a year on business. Can I purchase ammo in the USA and bring it back to Ireland if I have a license over here? Would Aer Lingus allow ammo in checked baggage?

If not can I order ammo from the US via the web or get friends to send it to me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Yawl boy, you had better do some homework as the situation could get tricky.

Go to aerlingus.ie and check their policy. I think you are able to bring back something like 10lb of ammo.
    http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/baggage/#d.en.1365
    Scroll to sports guns.

Of course, you will have to have the ammo in checked luggage. You will not be taking it in a carry-on bag.

The trick is that you need to be legal on both sides of the Atlantic.

More than likely you will be flying out of gun-unfriendly areas: NY, NJ, or IL, correct?

You will have to check local laws. I believe in NYC you can only have ammo for a gun that you own. I think in NJ, they now make you show a permit to purchase ammo. In JFK (NYC) or Newark, contact the Port Authority Police as they are the ones that will take you to jail IF there is a problem.

Let us know where you are flying out of.

You will have to declare the ammo in the states when you get to the airport check-in. Usually, all they really care about is safety -that's the TSA's job.

In reality, the US will not care if you are going to get locked up in Ireland upon your arrival so you need to ensure that you have your card arriving home.

They (TSA) may not even look through your luggage. They usually only go through luggage when you have a firearm. A very cool machine (MRI like) is able to see through your case and through the receiver to see if a round is chambered.

You will also need to consider connecting flights and whether you are going to have to take possession of the luggage or stay overnight to catch a flight en route.

In general, I would say that if you are just bringing ammo, you will be alright.

America has peaceable journey laws. If you are legal to own a firearm at pt A and pt C, you may go through B, to get to C.

If you want to read a bit about how messed up things can get, have a look at what one poor soul went through. Albeit, this case involves a gun, I encourage you to read it as it gives you an idea of what can happen in that part of the country.
    http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=5679

Concisely, I would expect no problem. But do your homework.

Then stock up on 10lbs of Hornaday!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

5Kg of sporting ammo is the allowence. Not all carriers will allow it on board, but Aer Lingus do. Getting ammo out of the US is a big problem, it can take up to 6 months to get an export license:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Getting ammo out of the US is a big problem, it can take up to 6 months to get an export license:mad:[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    You can thank the Clintons and the UN and ITAR for that.:mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Just to correct my post above, some carriers will take 5Kg of shotgun ammo, I'm not sure about allowances for metallic cartridge ammo, it may have a different hazard rating. I have been able to carry small amounts (20 rounds) of centre fire ammo within the EU on Aer Lingus and Malev. I never checked what the maximum was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Just to correct my post above, some carriers will take 5Kg of shotgun ammo, I'm not sure about allowances for metallic cartridge ammo, it may have a different hazard rating. I have been able to carry small amounts (20 rounds) of centre fire ammo within the EU on Aer Lingus and Malev. I never checked what the maximum was.

All ammo has the same Hazard label Rifle or shotty.
    S1.4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Yawlboy wrote: »
    I travel to the USA 3 or 4 times a year on business. Can I purchase ammo in the USA and bring it back to Ireland if I have a license over here? Would Aer Lingus allow ammo in checked baggage?

If not can I order ammo from the US via the web or get friends to send it to me?

Off the top of my head..... NO !! :(

AFAIK.... all ammunition, firearms, certain firearm parts and parts with a value over $100 require an export licence to be issued (i believe homeland security get involved alog with other agencies) and they take a long time to get.

Ive never used aerlingus but they apparently do allow ammuntion but flying on this side of the atlantic is a different ball game than trying to export or travel with a firearm/ammo through the US.

Either way if you could .... for all the hassle its worth you can only bring in what your licence allows you to.. ( im assuming that its 100 rounds ) and if its a bigger quantity you will pay through your nose to ship it.

Ammunition only becomes worthwhile shipping when being sent wholesale in huge quantities.

As for buying via the web .... I dont know about that 1 ... but i doubt to many stores over willl be willing to accept yout licence. Both you and your friends would be taking a massive risk in trying to bring/send any over.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭freddieot

Just to clarify,

Not that you would go down such a road but if some friend were to send it to you by post for example as a precieved 'easy way out' -They would commit a serious offence in the US and you would be in a sight of trouble over here as well.

DHL, TNT etc. would require to inspect the package in detail and would not carry ammo withouth special conditions (export lic etc. )

Really bringing ammo in from abroad only makes sense if you are talking about large quantities. You need to talk to DOJ Crime 4 if you were thinking about anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

freddieot wrote: »
    Just to clarify,

Not that you would go down such a road but if some friend were to send it to you by post for example as a precieved 'easy way out' -They would commit a serious offence in the US and you would be in a sight of trouble over here as well.

DHL, TNT etc. would require to inspect the package in detail and would not carry ammo withouth special conditions (export lic etc. )

Really bringing ammo in from abroad only makes sense if you are talking about large quantities. You need to talk to DOJ Crime 4 if you were thinking about anything like that.

and bank manager :P

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭freddieot

Anyone involved in this sport needs an understanding Bank Manager from time to time, and an understanding wife :D

Advertisement