Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland V England (Nov 2010 @ Aviva Stadium)

• 02-07-2010 8:31am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Not confirmed, but I heard on Newstalk this morning that the FAI want England to come over for a friendly in November.

Just wondering how folks feel about this? Would you welcome them? Do you even care?

Answers on a postcard...

Would you be happy for this game to go ahead? 145 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 145 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Great idea.

It'd be good opportunity to beat the 'old enemy' while also providing a stern test for Trap's boys.

Guaranteed sell out so great for the FAI as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I'm sure it would be quite an occasion, good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

This game is guarenteed to have the most demand for tickets, they could play 4 times and sell out every one!

Here's hoping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Great idea.

It'd be good opportunity to beat the 'old enemy' while also providing a stern test for Trap's boys.

Guaranteed sell out so great for the FAI as well.

more like we'll be a stern test for capello's boys :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

Definately in favour of this. Probably no better time to play them :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

It's been a while since we had the old chant "You'll never beat the Irish". :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I couldn't care less other than hoping it's a decent game. Could be a good chance to roll them over too. :)

That said, I think I'm going to puke if I read anything else about England (politically or in a footballing sense) on boards for the next week or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

FAI to FA "Yeah we've wanted to get you back over for a while, we just had to wait until we got plastic seats embedded into concrete terraces."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Jamie O'Hara to score the winning goal........but for who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Hell ****in' yes!

The place would sell out in seconds!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

For footballing reasons yes it would be great.

However on the non-footballing side I imagine that it will be a mecca date for all sorts of scumbags on both sides to come out and play.

There will be blood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

more like we'll be a stern test for <insert new managers name> boys :pac:

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

It would be great for footballing reasons but I think the very small, small miniority could hinder any plans for a match as you can almost certainly say there will be trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

spockety wrote: »

However on the non-footballing side I imagine that it will be a mecca date for all sorts of scumbags on both sides to come out and play.

There will be blood.

Only if you really want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

England play France at Wembley on November 17th. However when has the Indo ever let the facts get in the way of a story?

Tomorrow's Indo will have cheeky frogs steal our England friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Mushy wrote: »
    FYP

they wont fire capello...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Would be the perfect stage for the new stadium!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

angel01 wrote: »
    Would be the perfect stage for the new stadium!

Is the stadium not itself the stage? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

mike65 wrote: »
    Only if you really want it.

We do! Fight fight fight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

spockety wrote: »

There will be blood.

my god i hope you're wrong but some scumbags are so stuck in the dark ages that it makes it a damn certainty.

We'd turn over that english team that went to the world cup

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Idiot scumbags would be the only obstacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Bring it on! They should coinside it with the Queens visit to rile the Shinners up even more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Which 7 people voted No? What are your reasons?

Friendly against our local rivals would be great :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭jv2000

Iang87 wrote: »
    my god i hope you're wrong but some scumbags are so stuck in the dark ages that it makes it a damn certainty.

We'd turn over that english team that went to the world cup

I think the match is a bad idea, the scumbags will definitely be out. It's hard to say what constitutes a scumbag though.... all you have to do is watch that episode of reeling in the years (95) and it makes your blood boil. These 2 teams should only play again in a competitive scenario.

But on a side note, do you think that Ashley Cole has any idea how much he is hated in Ireland? :D

flanzer wrote: »
    Bring it on! They should coinside it with the Queens visit to rile the Shinners up even more!

So you want trouble at this match do you?

So who re the scumbags referred to a few thimes in this thread? A section of the English fans maybe???

Holsten wrote: »
    Hell ****in' yes!

The place would sell out in seconds!

There wont be any tickets on general sale i'd imagine.

ziggy wrote: »

Seriously? You think there was a worse team than England at the world cup?........TAXI for Ziggy!

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Should have had it for the last game in Lansdowne before the rebuild, may as well have let the English fans tear down the stand, would have been cheaper then paying the builders to do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

So who re the scumbags referred to a few thimes in this thread? A section of the English fans maybe???
    And Irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,271 ✭✭✭✭briany

I just keep imagining the promo that an American sports channel might give the game if it does come to pass........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Why would there be trouble ?

I was there in 1995. I have read detailed accounts of what occurred in 1995. It was a small fringe of fans, which acted as heavies for John Tyndall's far- right British National Party, who used the occasion to publicise their anti-republican, anti Downing Street Declaration, and violent neo-nazi views. The game was also played at a time where "football-firms" were heavily prevalent. It was an isolated incident, which had not occurred when the English team travelled to Dublin in 1990 for a Euro 92 Qualifier. There has been no repeat of such an incident, and 15 years on there is no reason to believe there would be.

There would be no blood unless a few Irish idiots let their emotions get the better of them. Or the FAI allow tickets to get into the hands of the British Far-Right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

On one hand I want it to go ahead to show we're all amigos these days.

But then again, part of me doesn't because contemplating of losing to England (a very likely scenario) irritates the hell out of me. :( The thought of victory is very sweet indeed though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

I'd like to see this go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

As long as they continue where the last friendly was abandoned, let's get it on.

Ireland 1 England 0 after 27 minutes, unfinished business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

SkidMark wrote: »

As long as they continue where the last friendly was abandoned, let's get it on.

Ireland 1 England 0 after 27 minutes, unfinished business.

Its ok ! In 1996 FIFA made an executive decision to award the result in our favour. Record shows that the last Ireland v England game ended in a 1-0 result to the home team !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Would love this to go ahead :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Poll needs the option:

"Ya but no but ya".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its only a friendly so I don't care whether it goes ahead or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Het-Field wrote: »
    Why would there be trouble ?

I was there in 1995. I have read detailed accounts of what occurred in 1995. It was a small fringe of fans, which acted as heavies for John Tyndall's far- right British National Party, who used the occasion to publicise their anti-republican, anti Downing Street Declaration, and violent neo-nazi views. The game was also played at a time where "football-firms" were heavily prevalent. It was an isolated incident, which had not occurred when the English team travelled to Dublin in 1990 for a Euro 92 Qualifier. There has been no repeat of such an incident, and 15 years on there is no reason to believe there would be.

There would be no blood unless a few Irish idiots let their emotions get the better of them. Or the FAI allow tickets to get into the hands of the British Far-Right.

very naive view tbf..you honestly think football hooliganism has gone away?? its still there and an ireland/engalnd game in the aviva wont be immune to it. i wouldnt imagine a large scale riot or anything as i think the gards are more prepared for it now and the majority of irish fans arent that type but there is still an apetite for violence there.

regarding the match they would hump us imo and id hate to see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Het-Field wrote: »
    It was an isolated incident, which had not occurred when the English team travelled to Dublin in 1990 for a Euro 92 Qualifier.

There was plenty of rioting on Lansdowne Road before the Euro92 qualifier between both sets of fans. I'm always bemused at those who think that event passed off peacefully. :confused:

Anyway, England will be playing at the new LR within the next two years. I guarantee it. ;)

ziggy wrote: »

A lot of decent teams didn't make it outa the groups, I think you'll find Algeria gave England a bit of a lesson, but they didn't make it.
    They may have been better than North Korea, I'll give you that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

There might be a minority of scumbags who want to cause trouble either in the ground or just generally in the area around it but these idiots shouldnt stop what would be a great sporting occasion for the rest of us.

No such thing as an Ireland-England friendly-the atmosphere would be electric!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

We better win though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Looking forward to the 4 Nations tournament. I reckon it's only a matter of time before England sign up to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,840 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If they play as bad as they did in the WC we should hammer them :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Looking forward to the 4 Nations tournament. I reckon it's only a matter of time before England sign up to it.

:D You reckon?

England were the ones who wanted out of their old Home Nations competition. Constantly playing other sides with similar styles of play is of no use to anyone. The new Four Nations tournament will be a complete and utter failure

Does anyone actually want to see Ireland play Wales, Scotland and NI in a meaningless tournament?

• Advertisement
Advertisement