Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travelling musicans and vagrants

Options
  • 02-07-2010 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

I know this is a long shot, but I am looking for information on travelling musicans, usually tinkers who travelled the countryside bringing news and entertainment to rural farms.probablz ireland of the forties.

secondly, did anyone know any vagrants who spent years travelling the road (not tinkers). there were a few around in the eighties, but like hitchhiking it has since vanished.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SteveSilverhead

Not specific to Galway, but the following may be of interest. It might also provide leads for further research:

http://w1.461.telia.com/~u46103557/jdoran.html

Hope this helps,
    Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

thanks for that. it does not have to be galway specific, but i would not know where else to put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Fuinseog wrote: »
    secondly, did anyone know any vagrants who spent years travelling the road (not tinkers). there were a few around in the eighties, but like hitchhiking it has since vanished.

I remember a guy like that when I was small. He lived on the road in the local area but he wasnt a "vagrant". He had a house, he just didnt like being in it so he spent his time out and about. Visiting people. He'd just walk into peoples houses (if there was someone home, and sometimes even if there wasnt) and make himself at home.

Frequently we'd be eating around the table eating and you'd hear the door open and in he'd come. My mum would make a place for him, and we'd get the local gossip. He was a wonderful character and when he died something really special and unique went with him.

Advertisement