Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is that your New Camera?

• 02-07-2010 9:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

I think the 5D MkII has changed the photographic industry, for good or for bad. I have the camera not 48 hours and I it's changed how I do things already. :D

Here's the first video I made from it. Created and processed in Adobe Premier. Click the video to view a Hi-Def version if you like.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Thats pretty bloody cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Feck ya. I'm in work using a crappy PC that doesn't have a hope in hell of playing HD. It is a lovely camera though and the images it produces are stunning. If I was going to go Canon- I'd get the 5D Mk II.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Gotta check that at home, blocked here.

Is the 5D MKII somewhere between a D700 and D3s?
    Or how to best describe?

Obviously its got the big megapixel count and higher res HD video.

I really don't know Canon much...

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

excellent quality ,now where did I leave my credit card:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Kule vid David and an awesome camera - my next purchase (if I can afford the divorce)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

That's a beautiful set of stills at the end there Dave. Magic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭VisionaryP

Adorable. Great job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

That's some quality video... so are stills a thing of the past now!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Having never messed with video properly before, getting a HD video option in a camera like this and the 7D brings a lot of fun with it. The quality is stunning and with a good computer and editing software it's so easy and quick to throw something cool together.

Good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Yep, have the same camera, love it , but i never really use the video on it , maybe I should start, but video is something im afraid of doing to be honest.

It's hard enough to get creative shots as stills not alone video.

Edit - when you say it's changed how you do things , in what way ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Thanks for the comments guys.

I wouldn't say stills are a thing of the past. There is something special about that one fleeting moment, captured in a photograph. But the media in which people view imagery is changing very very fast. In the space of a generation we've gone from the Sony Walkman to Apples Ipad. In a few short years we could all be walking around with portable Hi-Def notebook Ipad thing-a-ma-gigs as the norm that roll up to the size of a pen.

The freeze frames in the video above demonstrate that it is now possible to capture high quality photos from moving images with a €2000 camera. The 7D can shoot at 60 frames a sec. Soon sports photographers will be using this type technology all the time. All it needs is time to mature and bed in.

Although I mentioned above that the 5D MkII has changed how I do things already. I was mostly referring to the actual stills slideshow at the end of the video rather than the video capability itself. One thing is the beautiful, very natural looking vignette I get using it wide open with the 24-70mm L. Another is the shallow DoF afforded by the larger 35mm sensor. The apparent increase in dynamic range. The ISO expansion and performance in low lit exposures. So no need to over expose images by about a stop to try and reduce noise. Though the option is still there for me if I want. Plus my over powered studio strobes will benefit from the lower ISO 50 setting. I like the weight and size of the camera itself. It fits my hand like a glove. But my favorite new feature has got to be the distinctively sturdy sound of the shutter release. Truly sublime. :) In PP I seem to have a lot less work to do on an image now too. Oh... Did I mention MEGAPIXELS.....? :) The list seems endless so i'll end it now. They all add up to higher IQ IMO.

I guess you could say I'm in 5D MkII 35mm heaven ATM.... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

oshead wrote: »
    One thing is the beautiful, very natural looking vignette I get using it wide open with the 24-70mm L. Another is the shallow DoF afforded by the larger 35mm sensor. The apparent increase in dynamic range. The ISO expansion and performance in low lit exposures. So no need to over expose images by about a stop to try and reduce noise. Though the option is still there for me if I want. Plus my over powered studio strobes will benefit from the lower ISO 50 setting. I like the weight and size of the camera itself. It fits my hand like a glove. But my favorite new feature has got to be the distinctively sturdy sound of the shutter release. Truly sublime. :) In PP I seem to have a lot less work to do on an image now too. Oh... Did I mention MEGAPIXELS.....? :) The list seems endless so i'll end it now. They all add up to higher IQ IMO.

So what you're saying is that about 10 years down the line and thousands of euros later, what we have here is something that's begun to approach the ergonomics and quality of a 35mm film camera ?

:D

So what you're saying is that about 10 years down the line and thousands of euros later, what we have here is something that's begun to approach the ergonomics and quality of a 35mm film camera ?

:D

Yeah, I agree, but with all the benefits of digital. On that point, I recently began shooting with a 35mm Nikon left to me by my sister and am loving that too. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Daire can you please not derail another digital camera thread with how nice film cameras are ?!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Just to get my head around this, the shots are the end are stills pulled from the video?
    christ!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Jayzuz Dave that's a bit spooky. (The technology not the snaps, which are great).
    Are ye bringing it to Ikea anytime soon?

Just to get my head around this, the shots are the end are stills pulled from the video?
    christ!

No Kev. They are actually photos. But aside from resolution. I see no reason why they couldn't be stills pulled from video. Case in point, Yervant did this almost a year ago. It's always been possible to pull stills from video. But the resolution, afford-ability and image quality was never really there until the 5D MkII.

Here's Yervant demo.

humberklog wrote: »
    Jayzuz Dave that's a bit spooky. (The technology not the snaps, which are great).
    Are ye bringing it to Ikea anytime soon?

Gimme a shout next time you're around and i'll bring it along if you want a gander.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

so are stills a thing of the past now!?
    :rolleyes:

Actually want one of these for the video function.. At first I hated the idea of video on SLR's but the quality is better than most HD video cameras. Ive always wanted to get into video but never wanted to spend money on a video camera!

I guess this is the best of both worlds. I could probably get it for half price as well if I shifted my current 5D

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Well David's video above rivals anything professional for quality really at least when viewed with youtube... it's the glass that does it, for me, that beautiful depth of field and bokeh, lovely stuff. I agree that if you're buying a camera, that video function is an excellent add on, you're essentially getting a top quality video camera for free, because you would be buying the camera anyway. My comment on stills being a thing of the past was in relation to Davids comment that the camera had changed things for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Aside from the quality which is great, I found the video very entertaining.

Thanks for posting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Well David's video above rivals anything professional for quality really at least when viewed with youtube... it's the glass that does it, for me, that beautiful depth of field and bokeh, lovely stuff. I agree that if you're buying a camera, that video function is an excellent add on, you're essentially getting a top quality video camera for free, because you would be buying the camera anyway. My comment on stills being a thing of the past was in relation to Davids comment that the camera had changed things for him.

Ah I skimmed over the whole thread very quickly! I'm in work so I don't have the time on my breaks to read everything :o

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

shes such a character! lovely video:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

enda1 wrote: »
    Is the 5D MKII somewhere between a D700 and D3s?
    slightly cheaper than the D300, going on domestic prices. both full frame, and the canon has a higher pixel count. i don't think the D700 has video capabilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Did I hear her say "I love you" about half way through? What a dote, that video alone justifies the spend.

The quality is absolutely priceless for perfect faces. I took snaps at a family wedding recently but wouldn't touch the video, the wrinkly aunts (all 29 yo) would string me up if anything real got circulated, the highly falsified photos otoh might get me into an odd last will and testament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Saw it while in work but there was no audio so just played it back there. The last thing she says (which you didn't mention) is so sweet! Congrats again. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Lovely vid David, I only dabble with the video features on my 5D II but this week made a slightly 'norty' movie but I need to work on the DoF issue more, I shot it at 5.6 but still parts were OOF when there was movement.

As for your vid and star it's like a follow on from your many pics of her, you're own soap, she's almost as famous as Gucci the Chinese Crested!

I also loved the way the video was nice and short....next time we'll be hooked enough to watch a longer version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

oshead wrote: »

I guess you could say I'm in 5D MkII 35mm heaven ATM.... :pac:

That video was stunning oshead - and am assuming that gorgeous little girl is your DD (she is a dote)

but I so so want that camera - its my next big buy but by the time I get funds together Canon might have improved the 5d mark ii - who knows.

Enjoy your new camera - (sighs - someday! )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

angeleyes wrote: »
    That video was stunning oshead - and am assuming that gorgeous little girl is your DD (she is a dote)

but I so so want that camera - its my next big buy but by the time I get funds together Canon might have improved the 5d mark ii - who knows.

Enjoy your new camera - (sighs - someday! )

DD? assume means daughter ? but why DD ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Skinback

what a cutie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

the_monkey wrote: »
    DD? assume means daughter ? but why DD ?

DD = darling daughter :D DS = darling son

Janer.... I'll be waiting the release of the latest video from Gucci. You've no excuses... ;)

And Angeleyes, she sure is... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Nice clip, nice camera and + 1 for the music. New found respect for you being a Weller fan ;)

I was into the early Jam stuff but wouldn't stretch it any further.. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Nice one David. I've been teasing myself over the last few days to get a 5D Mk II and still contemplating. Can you tell me where did you source your buy, local or online? Damn with Euro poor exchange rate, buying overseas make not much of a saving anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

Just out of interest how much did the license for the music cost in the advertisement for your photography business?

Given how rabid we all are about protecting our intellectual property in the form of our photographs I would assume that would extend to others IP in the form of music and songs.

We and I happily include myself in that "We" practically lynch anyone who is naive enough to come on here looking for free pictures. And woe betide anyone who is foolish enough to get caught using our pictures with out our permission, then it is pitch forks and burning torches and lets all go kill Frankenstein's monster.

This is not a dig at David (well maybe a little one) it is at all our hypocrisy, how can we expect people to respect our copyright when we don't respect anyone else's?

• Advertisement

ttcomet wrote: »
    This is not a dig at David (well maybe a little one) it is at all our hypocrisy, how can we expect people to respect our copyright when we don't respect anyone else's?

ttcomet. You are right. I will remedy it as soon as I can. :)

David OS

ttcomet wrote: »
    Just out of interest how much did the license for the music cost in the advertisement for your photography business?

I have no business so where would you stand if I were to use music in a video?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so you'd have no problems with someone using your photos without your permission as long as they weren't profiting from it?

I have no business so where would you stand if I were to use music in a video?

I'm no expert, but from what I know, any public performance yada yada yada......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

They were discussing video from dSLR on the circle of confusion podcast and if I interpreted it properly, then a still taken from a HD video from a dSLR yields a 2MPixel image - albeit that it is fantastic that you can extrapolate a 2MPixel image, you will be limited thereafter in terms of its usability in a photographic sense - more specifically if you would ever want to go large format. It might get you to a 8x10 (at a push?) without crop or other manipulation.

All that being said, some of the video results from dSLR's are fantastic.

Well done Dave and good luck with the new camera.

• Advertisement

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    if I interpreted it properly, then a still taken from a HD video from a dSLR yields a 2MPixel image - albeit that it is fantastic that you can extrapolate a 2MPixel image
    does the 5D take 1080i or 1080p? i suspect the (possible) interlacing, coupled with compression algorithms would result in an image which wouldn't be comparable with a downsized (to 2MP) still image from the same camera. but i'd be curious to see a comparison.

I have blocked the video on youtube. Maybe It will take a few hours to replicate to the servers.

Up until recently all my photography was purely for private use with no intention to sell to the public. So copyright was never really an issue worth considering. Any other videos I've made were with Animoto and the music is licensed through them or replaced through Youtube.

So, thanks for pointing this out ttcomet. I must remember to be more careful/correct in the future with things of this nature. For now i'll put it down to experience, burnt britches and a lesson learnt. :o

David OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

does the 5D take 1080i or 1080p? i suspect the (possible) interlacing, coupled with compression algorithms would result in an image which wouldn't be comparable with a downsized (to 2MP) still image from the same camera. but i'd be curious to see a comparison.
    Its records in 1080p with a very high bitrate (~38Mb/s) so you should be able to get acceptable pictures from the video. Of course it wouldn't stand up to the still though.

Here's a still from the video. Extracted directly from Premier. No PP in Photoshop. I'll let you make your mind yourself.

View Large (1900x1080)

no complaints there.

Advertisement