Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CDWOW DVD Region Issue

Options
  • 02-07-2010 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭

Just a quick one guys, I bought a Region Free DVD off CDWOW last week and I can't get it to play. The DVD is here

http://www.cdwow.ie/DVD/pride/dp/852123/2773245?affid=11195

So I sent an email to CDWOW and this was their reply
    Thank you for your e-mail.

We have a Return Policy that does not provide for errors made when purchasing. The product information provided on our site clearly states that this item is NTSC version ( USA and Canada only) and therefore we cannot authorize a return on this occasion. I can also confirm that region 2 DVDs play on European players.

We recommend you read the specific product information displayed on our site for any future purchases you make.

I now see that it states that the DVD is NTSC so it is probably my mistake, but why does it say "Region Free" when it is a region 1 DVD and why sell NTSC on the Irish website?

I suppose there isn't much really I can do as it is my own fault? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

A lot of the CDWOW stock even on the cdwow.ie site is american versions be it dvds or games. The .ie is very misleading. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

missing the point of the complaint but there are lots of unofficial ways to convert it to PAL .........

Your DVD player may have a remote code also to set your player to multi region

Sometimes it to do with the disc been set to region 0 and this confuses some players , some discs have a mult region flag , 1 2 4 5 etc and the player scans and finds 2 and then plays it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

OP Is it actually region 1? As in, if you put the DVD in your laptop does it say "Incorrect Region"? If so, then is is not region free as described and you can return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

AntiRip wrote: »
    but why does it say "Region Free" when it is a region 1
    So are you saying it is a region 1 dvd? From what I see on the site it is region free and NTSC which is very common.

Them saying "NTSC version ( USA and Canada only)" is not them saying it is region 1. It is them saying the standard DVD player in US/Canada is NTSC.

Now most players here and around the world can play NTSC if they can play PAL. However most players in the US/Canada can only play NTSC and not pal. Therefore it makes sense to make region free ones NTSC and to state it to cover themselves against the minority of people who could not play it.

If you have software like dvd decrypter etc when you put the disc in it will tell you what region it is.

I have seen NTSC on sale in Irish bricks & mortar shops before.

Have you another player you could watch it on, or a console?

It has a link on that page saying "what region is right for me"
    In some countries including the US you can easily, and very inexpensively, purchase DVD players that are designed to be "region free" and will play DVDs regardless of their regional encoding.

Keep in mind that in addition to regional encoding, there are also differences in video/TV standards from one country to another. Video information on DVD is usually formatted for a specific television system: NTSC (used in the United States) or PAL (Europe). These two standards are incompatible. Even if a disc is region free, you need to make sure your TV and DVD player can handle its video format. Normally, an American (NTSC) television will not be able to display a disc in PAL format and vice versa. However, many European TV sets are multi-standard (and can display a NTSC signal). Also, some DVD players include features to convert a video signal from one standard to another. If you plan to buy videos or DVDs from another country, you need to make sure that your player and TV hardware can properly handle the different video standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

NTSC/PAL has nothing to do with region coding. Your DVD player might not play an NTSC DVD, though that would be very unusual, even though it is a region free DVD.

Most DVD players will play PAL, NTSC & SECAM without any issues. Sometimes if it's not supported, you see a black and white picture.

Are you saying this DVD is actually region coded to region 1, or is it just NTSC?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I've actually ripped it already with dvdshrink (which says it is region 1). Also my laptop wants me to change the region of the player (saying I can only do it 4 times). My PS3 won't play it either.

formatman wrote: »
    missing the point of the complaint

It states clearly that it was region free, so I thought I could play it on my console

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

I've actually ripped it already with dvdshrink (which says it is region 1). Also my laptop wants me to change the region of the player (saying I can only do it 4 times). My PS3 won't play it either.

I would say that if your laptop is asking you to change region, then the DVD is not region free as described so you are entitled to a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

eightyfish wrote: »
    then the DVD is not region free as described so you are entitled to a refund.
    +1 I would tell them you were well aware it was NTSC and that you have other NTSC region frees that play in your PS3, you probably do.

I get a lot of music dvds and most are NTSC region free.

Probably best not to mention that you actually ripped it though!

rubadub wrote: »

Probably best not to mention that you actually ripped it though!

:D yeah you're right!

• Advertisement

Here we go. Thanks for the info guys ;)
    Thank you for your e-mail and apologies for the incorrect product received.
    I have attached our Returns Form which provides the necessary instructions on how to complete a return with CDWOW! I have also made a 'Return Authorised' note within our system to make sure that our Returns Department are able to process your return as quickly as possible. We encourage you retain proof of the return.
    I request you to return the item back to us via normal post only. Please also get back to us with the scanned copy of the postage receipt so that we can reimburse the same via e-voucher.
    Please ensure that you return the item within 60 days; after this time the Return Authority will expire. Once the item is back at our Returns department, we will process a replacement or refund towards the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Nice to see they are still listing it as region free!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

My young daughter ordered a region 2 DVD from CDWow and received a region 1. I was forced to use DVDFab and a DL DVD as an alternative to paying to send the damn thing back.

now it's region free, damn them

ejmaztec wrote: »
    My young daughter ordered a region 2 DVD from CDWow and received a region 1. I was forced to use DVDFab and a DL DVD as an alternative to paying to send the damn thing back.

now it's region free, damn them

The address they sent me was a freepost address

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The address they sent me was a freepost address

I wasn't party to that info, but having no trust in CDWow whatsoever, I wouldn't have expected an immediate turnround. She'd been waiting several weeks for the DVD to show up, and was understandably pissed off that it wouldn't play.

I told my daughter not to order anything from them, based on my previous experience, and that of a lot of other Boardsies, but she didn't listen:(.

Advertisement