Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crosby, Stills and Nash - O2, July 1st, 2010

Options
  • 02-07-2010 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭

CSN played a superb show last night to a half-house in the O2. No matter, 'cos they still gave it 110% and actually managed to be better than last year's excellent Marquee show. They all seemed in very good humour, with Crosby in particular responding very well to shouts from the crowd, laughing at the amount of requests being shouted out (especially when one guy shouted for Traction in the Rain), and commenting that if they were to play them all, "We'd be here til Tuesday". Cover versions from their forthcoming Rick Rubin collaboration were very popular, not least the singalong Ruby Tuesday, and a blistering version of Behind Blue Eyes. There was a guy in the row ahead of me with a Who's Next t-shirt, so he must have been very pleased with that.
    Guinnevere was pin-droppingly arresting, Delta was magnificent, Our House was buoyant, but the spoils go to Stills, who was on fire all night.

Woodstock
    Military Madness
    Long Time Gone
    Bluebird
    Marrakesh Express
    Southern Cross
    In Your Name
    Long May You Run
    Déjà-Vu
    Wooden Ships

Helplessly Hoping
    Norwegian Wood
    Midnight Rider
    Girl From The North Country
    Ruby Tuesday
    Guinnevere
    Delta
    Cathedral
    Our House
    Behind Blue Eyes
    Rock and Roll Woman
    Almost Cut My Hair

Encore:
    Love the One You're With
    Teach Your Children

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭corm500

Yes it was a great gig...Guinnevere was the highlight for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mary101

I to was at the Marquee in Cork, I've also seen them in Vicar street and Hammersmith...all amazing gigs! This is not going to make me very popular but I have mixed feelings on last night's gig. There is no doubt that Stills guitar playing is second to none and both Guinevere and Delta were magnificent However the reason I'm disappointed is I thought the sound was awful. There were stages were I thought my ears were going to bleed, in fact the couple behind me complained about it was rubbish and actually got up and walked out. Unfortunately for them they missed the second half which for the most part was the 3 of them and an acoustic. For this the sound was crystal clear and I loved it and would have gladly stayed till Tuesday!:) It just seemed when the band played together all instruments and even the vocals were fighting against each other. I'm glad you enjoyed the gig but I've been left a little disappointed not by the performance but by the sound.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

a fantastic night
    a masterclass of how to perform

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Very good review in the Irish Times...

Those who favour a later retirement age might like to cite these three old comrades as exemplars of the future. David Crosby (68), Stephen Stills (65) and Graham Nash (68) have been trudging around the world as a trio, on and off, for more than 40 years since they made their celebrated debut at Woodstock in 1969. And so it was fitting that they opened their Dublin show on Thursday with a muscular version of Joni Mitchell's hymn to that event, Woodstock.
    Stills' cracked vocals and lavish and loud guitar were a sign of things to come from him. But it was the trademark harmonies as the band happily went through their back pages during a two-hour plus performance.
    The trio worked the hall, infusing real passion into the material and feeding off the warm reaction from the fans, many of the same vintage. Concerts like this are about collective memory; signature songs like Almost Cut My Hair and Guinnevere evoke a time when all was different.
    Yes, it is nostalgia, but one senses that all the actors in this drama, onstage and in the audience, draw validity for the past from these musical signposts.
    While Nash still sounds like a perky English scout leader, he is the rock around which the other two pivot, crusty oddball Crosby and seasoned guitar hero Stills. On their own you sense they might be a trial, but together they find common cause and pleasure in classic songs such as Marrakesh Express and Love the One You re With. Their acoustic set after the break was strong, even if the cover versions of songs such as Ruby Tuesday were routine.
    Like the troopers they are, Crosby, Stills and Nash finished strongly, finally rolling out Our Home ( :rolleyes: ) and Teach Your Children in the deserved double encore.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

Consensus seems to be fair to good on this gig, wish I could have been there.... but why oh why did they play the O2 - never gonna sell it out. Is it a case of a poor management & not knowing your market/venue, does it still pay them, I know tickets are a hefty price....

Reason I asked is this, was @ Willie Nelson in Killarney 3 weeks ago maybe, 4/5 sold out max, but he played O2 aswell. Hows he gonna get anywhere near sold out there when he cant sell out INEC? Just seems bizzare to me!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Young sold out it out last year on his own lol

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

rovert wrote: »
    Young sold out it out last year on his own lol

I know, was there, and @ Marquee & Malahide year before.

You sure it was sold out?

Advertisement