Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 116 Discussion ****SPOILERS INSIDE****

• 02-07-2010 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

All event discussion goes here.

I Got Carwin taking this by KO Or TKO in Round 2
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Daniel2oo9 wrote: »
    All event discussion goes here.

I Got Carwin taking this by KO Or TKO in Round 2

Same but in Round 1. I said the same for the Mir fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

carwin ko rd1, 2/1 on pp.com, gonna stick a few quid on it.

could go either way though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

UFC 116: Lesnar vs. Carwin
    July 3rd, 2010
    MGM Grand Garden Arena
    Las Vegas, NV

ufc116-poster.jpg
    UFC Heavyweight Championship: Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin
    Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Chris Leben
    Chris Lytle vs. Matt Brown
    Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Stephan Bonnar
    George Sotriopoulos vs. Kurt Pellegrino
    Brendan Schaub vs. Chris Tuchscherer
    Ricardo Romero vs. Seth Petruzelli
    Kendall Grove vs. Goran Reljić
    Gerald Harris vs. Dave Branch
    Daniel Roberts vs. Forrest Petz
    Karlos Vemola vs. Jon Madsen

My prediction is Brock 2nd round KO/TKO.

But Ill do Carwin in the first round via KO to hedge an accumlator with Brock and a couple of other fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

I'm going for Lesnar by submission, maybe a side choke.

And Akiyama by Sex Hadouken :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

UFC Heavyweight Championship: Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin
    Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Chris Leben
    Chris Lytle vs. Matt Brown (Could be fight of the night)
    Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Stephan Bonnar
    George Sotriopoulos vs. Kurt Pellegrino

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭conor678

I'm thinking Carwin will win by KO in the 1st but if it goes past the 1st and deep into the 2nd I'm going Lesnar TKO by polar bear mauling!!!

Elsewhere i'm going Sexyame by decision and the greek Ozzie dude storipopolous by decision and the polish experiment by decision too.

Otherwise the rest too hard to call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

I'm really amazed how many people fancy Carwin. I honestly believe that Brock is going to anihilate him. Looking at the previews, one thing is obvious, Brock truely believes he is unbeatable. Carwin does not fill me with confidence. I believe he doubts himself, and come fight night, will fold.

My prediction is Brock by KO in round 1 or 2

I will also go for Akiyama, Brown, Bonnar, Sotiropoulos, and Schaub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

conor678 wrote: »
    I'm thinking Carwin will win by KO in the 1st but if it goes past the 1st and deep into the 2nd I'm going Lesnar TKO by polar bear mauling!!!

Elsewhere i'm going Sexyame by decision and the greek Ozzie dude storipopolous by decision and the polish experiment by decision too.

Otherwise the rest too hard to call

Doesn't he own the launderette in Albert Square?

Hard to believe Carwin is the underdog in this fight. Their last two fights were Frank Mir and Carwin disposed of Mir far more quickly than Brock did. Plus Brock had all those health problems and hasn't fought in nearly a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

I've been reading all these mma websites saying that Brock is going to crush Carwin because he's bigger and stronger, I don't think Brock will have such a huge size advantage in this one, i think they will be pretty even, I think the key factor to this fight is Carwin's fists, Carwin only needs to touch Brock and its over, from looking at Brocks training, he has really bad stand up and no head movement. My prediction is:

Carwin 1st/2nd round KO/TKO over Brock.
    Akiyama decision over Leben.
    Chris Lytle decision over Brown.
    Krzysztof Soszynski decision over Bonnar.
    George Sotiropoulos submission over Kurt Pellegrino.

I've been reading all these mma websites saying that Brock is going to crush Carwin because he's bigger and stronger, I don't think Brock will have such a huge size advantage in this one, i think they will be pretty even, I think the key factor to this fight is Carwin's fists, Carwin only needs to touch Brock and its over, from looking at Brocks training, he has really bad stand up and no head movement. My prediction is:

Carwin 1st/2nd round KO/TKO over Brock.
    Chris Lytle decision over Brown.
    Krzysztof Soszynski decision over Bonnar.
    George Sotiropoulos submission over Kurt Pellegrino.

You and I must visit different websites! I think you are heavly discounting what Brock can do on this feet and how much damage he can take on the feet. Yep he hasnt faced anyone one like Carwin but you make it sound like he has a Andre Arlovksi type chin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

BROCK 1st/2nd round by GNP
    Chris Lytle Split decision over Brown.
    Krzysztof Soszynski U/decision over Bonnar.
    George Sotiropoulos submission 2nd Round over Kurt Pellegrino.

stuck a sneaky 5e on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Weigh ins are at 12 for anyone interested in watching them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

Carwin by TKO 1st or 2nd (not 100% on that tho)
    Leben to KO Sexyama
    angriest man in the world Matt Brown to beat Lytle

Not sure bout the rest.
    Looks like a promising card all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

Carwin will want to finish the fight in round 1 and I'd be surprised if the fight makes it past round 2. My prediction is Lesnar via TKO in the second.Having said that,both having a "puncher's chance" really does apply to this one. Also, it'll be interesting to see Carwin's cardio if the fight makes it into the latter rounds.

For the other fights, I'll go with Soszynski (decision),George (sub),Lytle ("lights out" KO) and Leben (KO). All in all, it looks like a solid enough card.I'm looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

when are the weigh ins? are they on tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

evil_seed wrote: »
    when are the weigh ins? are they on tv?

ya can watch a live feed on ufc.com dude! not on tv over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

rovert wrote: »
    You and I must visit different websites! I think you are heavly discounting what Brock can do on this feet and how much damage he can take on the feet. Yep he hasnt faced anyone one like Carwin but you make it sound like he has a Andre Arlovksi type chin.

Brocks stand up so far has been embarrassing, he nearly had a shiit hemorrhage when Mir hit him!!! plus Randy mauled him against the cage with dirty boxing-imagine what Carwin will do in the same position, Carwin will knock his head off if he connects..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭rafther

carwin by ko
    leben by ko
    sotoropopuss (aussie dude lol) by submission

paddy power for a tenner, 210 return not a bad if it comes through :confused:

cowzerp wrote: »
    Brocks stand up so far has been embarrassing, he nearly had a shiit hemorrhage when Mir hit him!!!

All due respect cowzerp but thats bollix Brock recovered really quickly from that. In fairness to you Brock was defending leg kicks with his hands not to long ago. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

cowzerp wrote: »
    Brocks stand up so far has been embarrassing, he nearly had a shiit hemorrhage when Mir hit him!!! plus Randy mauled him against the cage with dirty boxing-imagine what Carwin will do in the same position, Carwin will knock his head off if he connects..

Were we watching the same fight?

At what point did Mir have Brock in trouble at all (let alone a "hemorrhage") with his stand up?

Mir did hit him with a vicious flying knee that a lot would have been ko'd with...but Brock recovered in no time at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

bret69 wrote: »
    Were we watching the same fight?

At what point did Mir have Brock in trouble at all (let alone a "hemorrhage") with his stand up?

Mir did hit him with a vicious flying knee that a lot would have been ko'd with...but Brock recovered in no time at all.

About 15 seconds before the knee mir hit him a couple solid punches on the back foot and brock looked in trouble until he clinched and took the knee.
    Also Sh*t hemorrhage is possibly the funniest thing I have read on boards in a long long time. Nice cowzer.:D

Lesnar and Carwin both hit the scale at 265.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Lesnar and Carwin both hit the scale at 265.
    That's some Main Event. 530 pounds in that cage.

That's some Main Event. 530 pounds in that cage.

No, it is at least 530. Should both go to 280, it will be 560 in the cage at the same time.

How much can you gain in a night without ****ing your body up totally. 8 Pounds max I'd say.Sayin 280 is ridiculous 15 pounds would have to be fed to you in a drip to get it in in 24 hours.
    When you are cutting weight, your plasma blood volume decreases, and your blood pressure can increase as a result. Piling on 15 pounds would be suicide.

That's a lot of weight in the octagon.

The cage door was broken open back at one of the earlier UFCs, maybe UFC 1.

If either of these lot shoots in from distance and pushes through with it at speed, I wonder if the Cage would stand up to the task.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

rovert wrote: »
    You and I must visit different websites! I think you are heavly discounting what Brock can do on this feet and how much damage he can take on the feet. Yep he hasnt faced anyone one like Carwin

This is really the crux of it I think and it's hard to call otherwise. Can we really guess as to how Brock will react when Carwin swings for his chin? Presumably he'll go for takedowns. You don't think Brock will stand and strike do you do?

pierrot wrote: »
    That's a lot of weight in the octagon.

The cage door was broken open back at one of the earlier UFCs, maybe UFC 1.

If either of these lot shoots in from distance and pushes through with it at speed, I wonder if the Cage would stand up to the task.

Lol. I'm pretty sure they've re-designed and re-inforced the octagon and door since them early days :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

hehe, carwin put his shoes back on pretty quick :P

How much can you gain in a night without ****ing your body up totally. 8 Pounds max I'd say.Sayin 280 is ridiculous 15 pounds would have to be fed to you in a drip to get it in in 24 hours.
    When you are cutting weight, your plasma blood volume decreases, and your blood pressure can increase as a result. Piling on 15 pounds would be suicide.

Fighters horse down Gatorade in the 24hrs before the fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

15 pounds is not a large amount for a 280 pound monster - it's 5.35% of body weight. Nearly all fighters at that level would be cutting that amount as a minimum.

An IV drip is definitely not needed for that amount, although some people just use them as a matter of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

On twitter around 2am carwin said he was up to 271 had IV drips and was about to eat two chickens and some pasta :D

The chickens were probably alive

Living up to the nickname:

234523667.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I look at the odds on this fight. I don't care how crazy this sounds i'm having a few euro on brock by submission at 14/1.

If brock gets it to the ground i can see him shocking everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

Imagine the Octagon collapses both of them together is more than half a ton holy ****:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Willie Stroker

Whats the deal about it ending at 5 instead of 6 or is that a mistake on espn/ntl mistake ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

Whats the deal about it ending at 5 instead of 6 or is that a mistake on espn/ntl mistake ?

I dont think so beacause they start prelims at 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Willie Stroker

Daniel2oo9 wrote: »
    I dont think so beacause they start prelims at 2
    yeh but it is on paddy power ? http://www.paddypower.com/bet/ufc-mma/ufc-116/Brock-Lesnar-v-Shane-Carwin-1851449.html

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

Never underestimate the sexiness of Yoshihiro Akiyama

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/129394/99924589.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 49 thelurcher77

Brock to win inside 2 rounds , Carwin won't be able to get Brock on to the ground where as Brock can get Shane down with ease and win with some awesome hammer fists

What does this have to do with MMA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Brock to win inside 2 rounds , Carwin won't be able to get Brock on to the ground where as Brock can get Shane down with ease and win with some awesome hammer fists

Why would Carwin want to take Lesnar down?

People talk about Carwin and the hands, and the first round.

Who has he knocked out?

Gonzaga. Ok, desperation punch, he was rubberknees himself at the time.

Mir. Struggled to beat blue belt Tim Sylvia in the prime of heavyweight division, and a staph infested slo-mo Nog.

Some english guy, some Hungarian guy , and a few lads from the pub.

Carwin hits hard, but the love he's gettin is ridiculous tbh, his standup is punchers chance at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Didn't like the odd on picking a winner outright, €2 @ 28/1 for it going into 5 rounds was better value than a quick pick at the lotto ;) 3 on brock @ 7/1 in the 3rd also good value. I personally don't think either will happen but as I said I have better odds on that then getting the same return on the lotto.

calex71 wrote: »
    Didn't like the odd on picking a winner outright, €2 @ 28/1 for it going into 5 rounds was better value than a quick pick at the lotto ;) 3 on brock @ 7/1 in the 3rd also good value. I personally don't think either will happen but as I said I have better odds on that then getting the same return on the lotto.

Arent you the same fella who had Werdum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

What station is this on??

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

My bets

Schaub, Lytle, Soszynski treble

Soszynski single

Carwin single

Rochey18 wrote: »
    What station is this on??

ESPN UK (407 on NTL)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭rizzla

My bets..

Carwin
    Leben
    Brown
    Bonnar

Really can't wait for this PPV.

rizzla wrote: »
    My bets..

Carwin
    Leben
    Brown
    Bonnar

Really can't wait for this PPV.

I hope you are getting very nice odds on that bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭rizzla

I am, no accumilator though.

First time I've posted my bets though. Hope I don't regret it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement