Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 116 Discussion ****SPOILERS INSIDE****

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Is there much need for a third fight? They always do this with "rubber matches" - Lidell/Couture, Ortiz/Shamrock. Tis just a cash in. Does Mir think he has a defense to Brock's tactic of sitting on you? (which I'd admit is a tactic that has worked well!)

Nah, for a third Mir/Lesnar fight "I'm out" as they say. Can't wait for Lesnar/Cain now and then maybe the winner of that versus winner of Nelson/dos Santos. Is that the plan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

.Mir isnt a top 3 by any means.Couture sure as hell isnt anymore(and wasnt when he faced Lesnar).Even Carwin wouldnt be purely because he didnt fight many big names

couture was ufc champion when lesnar beat him but not a top 3 hw :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Is there much need for a third fight? They always do this with "rubber matches" - Lidell/Couture, Ortiz/Shamrock. Tis just a cash in. Does Mir think he has a defense to Brock's tactic of sitting on you? (which I'd admit is a tactic that has worked well!)

Nah, for a third Mir/Lesnar fight "I'm out" as they say. Can't wait for Lesnar/Cain now and then maybe the winner of that versus winner of Nelson/dos Santos. Is that the plan?

No doubt they'll market the rubber match as "The Biggest Grudge Match of All Time"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I'm away to watch the press conf. Dana is very pleased with tonight and i have to say so am i. Both with the fact boards.ie have seemed to gained alot of new MMA fans tonight, good to see that they got involved in the best card in a while.

Just don't come back complaining when James Toney and Randy fight

rossie1977 wrote: »
    "You cannot back up and coverup in the middle of the movement. You've gotta punch and move"

Carwin looked shagged after Rd1 in his corner there...

I think i must have missed all the George questions....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Fine, let's make it Top 5.

Your points are debatable by the way. The point is, Overeem could well be one of the best, but he has to prove it first!
    True Overeem has to prove it but hes also been looking to prove it.He really wasnt impressed with Werdum beating Fedor.
    With Overeem though its difficult to say who can beat him.When standing theres pretty much 0 MMA fights who could go toe 2 toe,never mind beat,badr hair in a fight(although revenge was gotten by hari).Hes no slouch on the ground either and his td is really strong + if you leave your neck out at all he will take your head home as a trophy

Gerald Harris, Brock Lesnar, Stephan Bonnar, Krzysztof Soszynski, Chris Leben and Yoshihiro Akiyama each earned $75,000 fight-night bonuses for their performances at Saturday's UFC 116 event.

Harris earned the "Knockout of the Night" award, Lesnar earned the "Submission of the Night bonus, and Bonnar, Soszynski, Leben, Akiyama all earned "Fight of the Night" honors.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) learned of the award winners and bonus amounts while at the UFC 116 post-event press conference.

UFC 116 took place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Two preliminary-card fights aired on Spike TV, and the night's main card aired on pay-per-view.

Harris, who fought on the night's un-aired preliminary card, earned his award after stopping UFC newcomer and Bellator vet Dave Branch with a brutal third-round slam. Harris secured the cage-jarring move after Brand attempted a standing guillotine choke. However, the brunt of the following slam, which came after two fairly dominant rounds for Harris, left Branch briefly unconscious. The victory was Harris' third straight in the UFC and his 10th straight overall.

Lesnar earned his award after submitting interim champ Shane Carwin and unifying the heavyweight title. After surviving a first-round knockdown and dozens of additional blows, Lesnar scored a quick takedown in the second and forced the tap-out moments later with an arm-triangle choke.

Leben and Akiyama picked up their awards after a back-and-forth barnburner of a co-headliner. Each fighter had victory within grasp, but Leben – a late replacement for injured Wanderlei Silva who fought in his second UFC bout in two weeks – got the win. Although Akiyama appeared on his way to a decision victory by winning the third round, Leben secured a fight-ending triangle choke with just 20 minutes remaining in the middleweight bout.

Soszynski and Bonnar, meanwhile, each got a rare second "Fight of the Night" bonus after meeting in a rematch of their UFC 110 meeting. The first fight ended in a controversial third-round TKO for Soszynski, but Bonnar avenged the loss with a come-from-behind third-round TKO at UFC 116.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/19805/ufc-116-fighter-bonuses-six-fighters-each-earn-75k-awards.mma

Love that there was 2 Fights of the Night!

rossie1977 wrote: »
    couture was ufc champion when lesnar beat him but not a top 3 hw :confused:
    He hadnt fought in over a year.The only reason he was still champion is cause he quit while holding the belt

True Overeem has to prove it but hes also been looking to prove it.He really wasnt impressed with Werdum beating Fedor.
    With Overeem though its difficult to say who can beat him.When standing theres pretty much 0 MMA fights who could go toe 2 toe,never mind beat,badr hair in a fight(although revenge was gotten by hari).Hes no slouch on the ground either and his td is really strong + if you leave your neck out at all he will take your head home as a trophy

I completely agree about Overeem, the man is a beast!

My points were just in relation to the belittling of Lesnar's authenticity as a Top HW in exchange for the selling of Overeem (someone who hasnt proved it yet) and Werdum (Who had the opportunity and never reached the top of the UFC).

• Advertisement

SDTimeout wrote: »
    I'm away to watch the press conf. Dana is very pleased with tonight and i have to say so am i. Both with the fact boards.ie have seemed to gained alot of new MMA fans tonight, good to see that they got involved in the best card in a while.

Just don't come back complaining when James Toney and Randy fight
    http://www.mmamania.com/2010/7/3/1550774/ufc-116-post-fight-press

"Is there a pussy in Australia?"

Haha, good man Dana!

Actually, now that i look, not an extra penny for Lytes out......... Robbed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Overeem is another party Fedor's management has been avoiding.

I completely agree about Overeem, the man is a beast!

My points were just in relation to the belittling of Lesnar's authenticity as a Top HW in exchange for the selling of Overeem (someone who hasnt proved it yet) and Werdum (Who had the opportunity and never reached the top of the UFC).
    Sorry.I thought you were trying to mark him higher then the rest.Apologies :o

Im still rooting for Over/Mega/Turbo/Ubereem number 1 though :pac:

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/7/3/1550774/ufc-116-post-fight-press

"Is there a pussy in Australia?"

Haha, good man Dana!

Someone's never seen Neighbours!

" Well no i've never tried one before, i just thought the UFC would be the best place to try it you know "

" Well no i've never tried one before, i just thought the UFC would be the best place to try it you know "

I'd love to buy Lytle a beer!

Does anyone remember Kimo vs. Tank Abott at UFC 43? It ended in pretty much the exact same way as Lesnar/Carwin - Arm-Triangle Choke. The crowd booed afterwards.

Lesnar's very humble in this press conference. Definitely a face turn :pac:

Anyone who is in here hating on Lesnar would be well to watch this press confrence. Alot of the dislike to him i think would be the fact he's a pro wrestler. Tonight he is being sincere and quite emotional.

Georges striking tonight did look brilliant. I have no problem with fighters fighting tactical as it brings a better element to the fight itself. Bonnar is wrong there in my opinion as George had done enough he knew himself to win. Why should he rush into someone like Kurt...Let kurt come and make the mistake which he done in the second round and got taken down.

• Advertisement

Lesnar's very humble in this press conference. Definitely a face turn :pac:

Boo!

I want him to remain Mr. BadForTheSport

Every guy at that table should be so so proud of themselves to have been a part of such a card

(ps..... i hate the sound of Franklin McNeil's voice!)

Every guy at that table should be so so proud of themselves to have been a part of such a card

(ps..... i hate the sound of Franklin McNeil's voice!)

Everyone on it is SO happy
    Anyone who is in here hating on Lesnar would be well to watch this press confrence. Alot of the dislike to him i think would be the fact he's a pro wrestler. Tonight he is being sincere and quite emotional.

He was sincere and emotional before and after the Couture fight. Some people dont to acknowledge it.

rovert wrote: »
    Boo!

I want him to remain Mr. BadForTheSport
    Pfft, I never said that! Brock reinvigorate a stagnated HW division.

Bonnar is hilarious!

Pfft, I never said that! Brock reinvigorate a stagnated HW division.

Dont you know that Lesnar was the first person not to shake hands or be disrespecful to another fighter? True story.

• Advertisement

Stephen bonnar must be having sex with massive women who throw him around the room...

Carwin was brought to the hospital. Fatigued and hyperventilating apparently...

Where now for Carwin? UFC's hardly gonna shut him out will they?

Stephen bonnar must be having sex with massive women who throw him around the room...

and when he's not he's "roasting" Franklin McNeil.......... oh the humanity!

Carwin was brought to the hospital. Fatigued and hyperventilating apparently...

Where now for Carwin? UFC's hardly gonna shut him out will they?

I'd say loser of JDS / Nelson

Brock is being VERY humble........... i'm not sure i like it

• Advertisement

Dana:

"We're gonna make an example of James Toney!"

LOL :pac:

I'll put some of my brock by sub money on james toney to storm this press confrence before the end of it. Odds please?!

Brock is being VERY humble........... i'm not sure i like it

He isnt supposed to tell people that the title wasnt handed to him. :mad:

Wait...... you mean tonight's fight WASN'T fixed?

Wait...... you mean tonight's fight WASN'T fixed?

But he whispered in his ear to tap!?

But he whispered in his ear to tap!?

Of course! Sure how else would a Pro Wrestler win a real fight?

Heyman and Lesnar is a touching love story. New York Jew and an Aryan Gorilla.

This has gotten old.

There's the brock heel turn!!

This has gotten old.

Yeah UFC should burn the tape of this press conference. Promotional suicide this.

• Advertisement

There's the brock heel turn!!

Chair shot to Dana in 5.....4......3......

This whole thing is like the Anti-UFC112!

This whole thing is like the Anti-UFC112!

Brock UFC 116 is the anti Brock UFC 100

:(

Brock UFC 116 is the anti Brock UFC 100

:(

I'd have loved to see him crack open a can of Coors Light and say "Humble? Me? F*CK YOU BITCHES!!"

I'd have loved to see him crack open a can of Coors Light and say "Humble? Me? F*CK YOU BITCHES!!"

I dont think we will ever see his middle fingers again....

I dont think we will ever see his middle fingers again....

After UFC 100 Dana had Brock's middle fingers cut off......... they survived on their own and ended up on some reality show...........

Jedward-twins-photo.jpg

Yeah UFC should burn the tape of this press conference. Promotional suicide this.
    I'm talking about the sardonic responses.

A few itneresting comments from Dana there about the Jones/Couture fight. Something about freakshows...

I'm talking about the sardonic responses.

Sorry for being so ONE DIMENSIONAL

Where is everyone? Have they stopped watching MMA or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Here.

Advertisement