Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 116 Discussion ****SPOILERS INSIDE****

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

I know you're trolling, and it's a bit ghey at this stage TBH. I wasn't discussing Brock with you - you said pro wrestling fans shouldn't be discussing MMA - I gave you facts to back up the fact that MMA evolved from pro wrestling - you ignored it, and tried to be hilarious with your faux naif replies. Quite lame.
    Pro westling fans should not be discussing MMA,at least not here.
    You gave no facts,just semantics.
    The term MMA did not come from Japan.MMA did not evolve from pro wrestling.Yes there were pro wrestlers involved for a period but they had nothing to do with it's creation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I actually like Brock alot and think it's dumb how he still isn't getting the respect he deserves from MMA fans. But this fight should've been stopped in the first round, I actually couldn't understand while watching why the ref wasn't stopping it, we have all seen fights stopped for 1/4 of the punishment Brock was taking. I have never seen a ref let a fight continue for that long in that situation. If the roles were switched and Carwin was taking the beating you can bet the fight would've been stopped.

Watch the Best of Big Nog and you'll see a few. It is kewl when he does it you see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

Ironic humour fail. When you're the only one who finds your posts funny, it's kinda time to move on, man.
    :eek: Ironic humor?You do know the meaning of irony?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

this fight should've been stopped in the first round, I actually couldn't understand while watching why the ref wasn't stopping it...
    I'm no mma, I just watch it if it's on when Im switching through channels, and I will check out some fights on youtube.

You seem very sure of yourself, for someone admits they haven't a clue.
    If the roles were switched and Carwin was taking the beating you can bet the fight would've been stopped.
    I bet it wouldn't have been. The FACT is that the ref told both of them beforehand that he would give them both 3 chances to respond & improve position before he stopped it. And since that's a fact, and since Brock adhered to those exact conditions, what makes you "bet" it would have been different for Carwin?

I just woke up and I'm pissed. Not in a drunk way. Carwin deserves a rematch. If he's going to be a viable threat he needs to work on his cardio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I actually like Brock alot and think it's dumb how he still isn't getting the respect he deserves from MMA fans. But this fight should've been stopped in the first round, I actually couldn't understand while watching why the ref wasn't stopping it, we have all seen fights stopped for 1/4 of the punishment Brock was taking. I have never seen a ref let a fight continue for that long in that situation. If the roles were switched and Carwin was taking the beating you can bet the fight would've been stopped.

That is complete nonsense. Brock Lesnar was/is a household name from WWE. Who the hell is Carwin, I never heard of him before I read his name in connection with this fight. I like mma but I'm no fanboy, I just watch it if it's on when Im switching through channels, and I will check out some fights on youtube. Carwin was a nobody in the wider world, he wouldn't have anything near the money making potential of brock lesnar. Put it this way, I wouldn't have bothered looking up the fight on youtube this morning if it was between Carwin and some random HW. I looked it up because I wanted to see how Brock did.

Carwin would have been billed as the guy who BEAT lesnar. Very similar to seth as the kimbo killer or the killer of elite xc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

That is complete nonsense. Brock Lesnar was/is a household name from WWE. Who the hell is Carwin, I never heard of him before I read his name in connection with this fight. I like mma but I'm no fanboy, I just watch it if it's on when Im switching through channels, and I will check out some fights on youtube. Carwin was a nobody in the wider world, he wouldn't have anything near the money making potential of brock lesnar. Put it this way, I wouldn't have bothered looking up the fight on youtube this morning if it was between Carwin and some random HW. I looked it up because I wanted to see how Brock did.

You completely missed my point.

Shane Carwin obviously does not have the name value of Lesnar. That's a given.

However if Shane Carwin knocked Lesnar out in 2 minutes like he nearly did, it would have made Carwin a super star instantly.

So to suggest like someone earlier that the ref didn't stop it because the UFC wanted to protect it's cash cow in Lesnar is ridiculous, leaving aside the other crucial point that they have nothing to do with referee appointments.

I'll say it again though, the fact that Lesnar went on to submit Carwin surely vindicates the referees judgement in not stopping it.

Lesnar weathered the storm, got up, took him down and made Carwin submit. All credit to the referee.

If he's going to be a viable threat he needs to work on his cardio.

Erm wasnt Carwin the guy who would get pissy in press conference when people would ask about his cardio? Saying he always trains for 5 rounds? So good luck with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Has anyone ever said in a press conference they're training for one round? Actually i think one guy did, said he wanted to finish the fight in the first round before he got tired, what a ledge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Listen Rovert, it's a well established fact you only follow MMA since Brock joined the UFC.

I can tell you with full confidence that this is bullsh*t.

I do find the general bitterness towards Lesnar really amusing though.

Has anyone ever said in a press conference they're training for one round? Actually i think one guy did, said he wanted to finish the fight in the first round before he got tired, what a ledge.

Most fighters dont throw wobblers when asked about it tho.
    flahavaj wrote: »

Shhhh! you are killin' me rep.

flahavaj wrote: »

I do find the general bitterness towards Lesnar really amusing though.

I thought sid's comment was tongue in cheek.. Obv not

Someone at the press conference made mention of Heyman getting emotional about Brock's win. Here is an interview:

Bless

Crap, now there is proof why we're all here.

Rovert what are you doing!!

SDTimeout wrote: »
    I thought sid's comment was tongue in cheek.. Obv not

obviously some of the guys can't tell when something was said in jest. sheeze guys, your brock lesnar nut huggery is clouding your vision. even rovert has called in back up from the pro wrestling forum to boost his street cred!

I called for photographic evidence of Rovert's UFC collection in the late 90s and he's point blank refused. This means he doesn't have any, and wears tapout tshirts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

What I learned from last nights main event:
    • Brock has a lot more heart then I thought.
    • Brocks striking is A LOT worse then I thought.
    • Brock does not like getting hit one bit.
    • Brock isnt as big a prick as I thought.
    • UFC refs need to work on consistency.
    • Brock is showing flashes a of multi-dimensional skill set.
    • Carwin is a better fighter then Lesnar, Brock is a better Athlete then Shane.
    Overall Brock is due respect for pulling through, but he looked decidedly human and very beatable by a number of HW's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I think Brock is a no good cheat who used his fame to get a title shot, fought 2 bums - Frank Mir and Heath Herring, a Grandad, and a rookie. He then basically lost his last fight but used his influence to keep the referees whistle is his pocket and basically capitalised on it in the second round

This entire section here is why it really shows that you are not thinking objectively, you are using your hate toward Lesnar and everything he stands for to make silly statements.

It's funny, you'd think someone with the Username of a Pro Wrestler would appreciate Brock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Overall Brock is due respect for pulling through, but he looked decidedly human and very beatable by a number of HW's

Pretty much on the money there. Dont know how anyone can argue with those points.
    Cue brock nuthuggers:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Summed up the fight perfectly! I couldnt beleive how much Brock back peddled and covered up after taking a few hits from Shane, he could of easily been rocked though he was very lucky the fight wasnt stopped but very good refereeing at the same time.

His standup was not as good as i originally thought, he can definately take a punch much better than i thought, my initial fears was that he was getting KO'd in the first round and it came so so close to being true. He pulled out a huge win, fully deserved. I do think he needs to work on his standup a bit more, for someone so powerful and strong he doesnt seem to utilise it in his standup like Carwin does.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    This entire section here is why it really shows that you are not thinking objectively, you are using your hate toward Lesnar and everything he stands for to make silly statements.

It's funny, you'd think someone with the Username of a Pro Wrestler would appreciate Brock!

When Sid Justice was fighting pro wrestling in Japan it's a little known fact it was actually MMA he was fighting. There were no works. People on this forum don't want to beleive it, but Pro Wrestling was actually a lot closer to MMA than you'd think.

• Advertisement

Is anyone else having trouble with the UFC 116 Post Fight Conference not loading passed Leben talking? The only source i can find is on the UFC website and it wont load passed that point for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭gimme5minutes

You seem very sure of yourself, for someone admits they haven't a clue.

As I said, Im not a fanboy but I've watched UFC/MMA for the last 6 years, I've seen hunderds of fights. I have never seen anyone take so much punishment for so long in that kind of situation without the fight being stopped. Please show me some UFC videos of a comparable situation where the ref lets it go on for as long as he did with Brock.

You completely missed my point.

Shane Carwin obviously does not have the name value of Lesnar. That's a given.

However if Shane Carwin knocked Lesnar out in 2 minutes like he nearly did, it would have made Carwin a super star instantly.

So to suggest like someone earlier that the ref didn't stop it because the UFC wanted to protect it's cash cow in Lesnar is ridiculous

How did I miss your point? Your point was - "If Carwin had finished the fight in the first, he would have been a gigantic money making star for the UFC too." That is absolute nonsense. You say yourself Carwin doesn't have the name value of Lesnar. Carwin is a nobody outside of MMA, Lesnar is a household name and has been for years. Lesnar has something of a Tyson cult of personality about him and would be a big draw even if he wasn't the champ. Personality = cash. I, like the rest of the general public, have never even heard Carwin speak.

The UFC would definitely be taking a substantial hit in revenue if Lesnar had've lost that fight. Mir beat Lesnar and he remains a nobody outside UFC, if Couture beat him he would've remained a nobody/z-list celebrity outside UFC too. Brock has brought a sh*tload of viewers to UFC.

MarkJD wrote: »
    Summed up the fight perfectly! I couldnt beleive how much Brock back peddled and covered up after taking a few hits from Shane, he could of easily been rocked though he was very lucky the fight wasnt stopped but very good refereeing at the same time.

His standup was not as good as i originally thought, he can definately take a punch much better than i thought, my initial fears was that he was getting KO'd in the first round and it came so so close to being true. He pulled out a huge win, fully deserved. I do think he needs to work on his standup a bit more, for someone so powerful and strong he doesnt seem to utilise it in his standup like Carwin does.

Id like to add:
    • Lesnars wrestling is, as suspected, all based around size advantage.

When Sid Justice was fighting pro wrestling in Japan it's a little known fact it was actually MMA he was fighting. There were no works. People on this forum don't want to beleive it, but Pro Wrestling was actually a lot closer to MMA than you'd think.

I like how you didn't argue with the fact that you're not thinking objectively, only about the fact i called Sid Justice a Pro Wrestler! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

obviously some of the guys can't tell when something was said in jest. sheeze guys, your brock lesnar nut huggery is clouding your vision. even rovert has called in back up from the pro wrestling forum to boost his street cred!

i don't know about anybody else but i find it strange that a guy with a username "sid justice" has a problem with rovert and others on here because they are pro-wrestling fans :confused:

Who is Rovert though? Never seen him at an Irish MMA event. Would you let him drive the train to Cork? Then why would you let him give you a sermon on MMA?

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i don't know about anybody else but i find it strange that a guy with a username "sid justice" has a problem with rovert and others on here because they are pro-wrestling fans :confused:
    Because theres so much in a name. Its not brock fans he has a problem with. Its all nuthuggers. Brock onew s are just a bit more stubborn than most.

Who is Rovert though? Never seen him at an Irish MMA event. Would you let him drive the train to Cork? Then why would you let him give you a sermon on MMA?

So you're back on your "I know more about MMA than all you" bus?

Do you know me? Have you seen me an Irish MMA events? Do you even know my opinions on Brock Lesnar?

Stuffins who?

rovert wrote: »
    Someone at the press conference made mention of Heyman getting emotional about Brock's win. Here is an interview:

Bless

I bleedin hate Paul Haymen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Because theres so much in a name. Its not brock fans he has a problem with. Its all nuthuggers. Brock onew s are just a bit more stubborn than most.

and yet most of his posts mention the name fedor, seems to me he is as much as nuthugger as the ones he hates

Stuffins who?

:confused:

and yet most of his posts mention the name fedor, seems to me he is as much as nuthugger as the ones he hates

you got a problem with fedor?

Pretty much on the money there. Dont know how anyone can argue with those points.
    Cue brock nuthuggers:rolleyes:

Nice name calling lets just selectively forget that Carwin is the strongest puncher and latitude is given to main events more often than not.

Fedor has earned his nuthugger fans in mma,
    Not pro wrestling.

Nice name calling lets just selectively forget that Carwin is the strongest puncher and latitude is given to main events more often than not.

Translation:

**Clasps hand over ears**

"la la la la la la, im not listening, im not listening, brock is the greatest ever la la la la la"

Translation:

**Clasps hand over ears**

"la la la la la la, im not listening, im not listening, brock is the greatest ever la la la la la"

Sure mate lets not discuss facts here.

Could you explain what you mean by latitude is given to main events?

Sure mate lets not discuss facts here.

Im trying man, im trying.

The fact is; that fight should have been stopped in the 1st.

• Advertisement

You didn't watch the Post-Fight presser!

Facts would have evidence, do I really have to rehash the points I made earlier that people had little or no answer for?

or

Heymans account of the exchange between the Lesnar and the referee.

No I didnt. What did I miss?

If that fight was fought under pride rules as it should be, Brock would not have got a break after 5 mins and CArwin could have soccer kicked his head off or kneed his head in.

Why should it hae been stopped? Considering i agreed with most the points you made about the fight that is a retarded statement to make?

He never stopped defending himself, he got Carwin off him twice yet you declare it should be stopped? Seems you need to go rewatch the fight there buddy!

PS- Has anyone watched the post conference video?

No I didnt. What did I miss?

An entire and in-depth explanation as to why the fight wasn't stopped in the 1st!

• Advertisement

Why should it hae been stopped?
    Can you at least admit that fights have been stopped for less and not considered controversial?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Sherdog called. They want their thread back.

It was a title match. What if the fight had of been stopped within the first couple of minutes? People would be complaining about how it was stopped too soon, especially since there was a title on the line. To me at least it seemed that Brock was defending himself sufficiently on the ground during the first round. He came out in the second and scored with a takedown and showed good ground game. He won. Carwin put up a good fight but just couldn't get it done in the first and was overpowered on the ground during the second. He lost.

If that fight was fought under pride rules as it should be, Brock would not have got a break after 5 mins and CArwin could have soccer kicked his head off or kneed his head in.

If my Auntie had balls she'd be my Uncle

*reported for Trolling :p

PS- Has anyone watched the post conference video?

In what sense? I watched it live and it is selectable here:

http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/13960/

Can you at least admit that fights have been stopped for less and not considered controversial?

Fights also end in Bullsh1t decisions, so now every fight should?

You seem to miss thw entire point!

You should watch the Presser!

• Advertisement
Advertisement