Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 116 Discussion ****SPOILERS INSIDE****

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'm still cursing not taking that bet, after all I took the other long shots in terms of odds in that fight :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

calex71 wrote: »
    I'm still cursing not taking that bet, after all I took the other long shots in terms of odds in that fight :(

I was half eying that one myself.Although the odds were phenomenal, I made myself believe that there was no way in hell that Lesnar would submit Carwin.Dammit!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

This thread actually makes me sad and makes me never want to read this forum again. I love the way anyone who wants to give Lesnar his due is dismissed as a 'fanboy'. He won fair and square. He showed that he is not one-dimensional. He responded every time the referee instructed him to move/defend himself, he weathered the storm and emerged victorious. If this was any other fighter, any other fighter, the reaction would be completely different.

The only 'nut-huggery' going on is anti-Lesnar nut-huggery and ye just show yereselves up to be incredibly biased, petty and incapable of looking at this fight and this fighter objectively or intelligently. For a moderator of this forum to come out with some of the stuff he has come out with is jaw-droppingly ignorant.

It was a fantastic card and a fantastic fight with a main event where one man seemed to be on the verge of victory only for the fighter who seemed down and out to come back from the brink and dramatically emerge victorious. The beauty of MMA and sport in general. Who gives a f*ck what one of them did for a living. Get over it lads. Brock Lesnar has proved himself as a fighter and no one can objectively deny him his claim as the No.1 Heavyweight in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Just watched it all again there, some great battles! Really enjoyed it.
    I'm Very p*ssed off with the title fight (I've actually watched it 3 times now). Fight should have been stopped by Rosenthal no ifs or buts about it. Brock took more unanswered shots than I've seen in a long time and no stoppage, he was f*cked. Unfortunately the terrible refereeing (sp?) decisions in the past few events have everything to do with this. Well done to brock for the sub though, imagine having them arms choke you out, he'd burst my head off like a pimple!
    Think Carwin was too nice in defeat, no problem with him congratulating brock but he was robbed and when he sees the tape he'll know it. PS I don't have anything against brock, I actually like the way he still plays the heel role in the real world :)

Cain doesn't have much of a chance against brock, Brock - Carwin rematch asap please ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

lafors wrote: »
    Just watched it all again there, some great battles! Really enjoyed it.
    I'm Very p*ssed off with the title fight (I've actually watched it 3 times now). Fight should have been stopped by Rosenthal no ifs or buts about it. Brock took more unanswered shots than I've seen in a long time and no stoppage, he was f*cked. Unfortunately the terrible refereeing (sp?) decisions in the past few events have everything to do with this. Well done to brock for the sub though, imagine having them arms choke you out, he'd burst my head off like a pimple!
    Think Carwin was too nice in defeat, no problem with him congratulating brock but he was robbed and when he sees the tape he'll know it. PS I don't have anything against brock, I actually like the way he still plays the heel role in the real world :)

Cain doesn't have much of a chance against brock, Brock - Carwin rematch asap please ;)
    How??He was covering,moving,answering back with punches,creating space,answering the ref and as carwin tired he was controlling posture and eventually scrambled to his feet.He was hurt but he weathered the storm.

This thread is an absolute clusterfcuk of people repeating themselves and being ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

cowzerp wrote: »
    Watched it there, but as i said-i've no hate for Lesnar-he done what he had to do, i just feel the ref done a bad job and thats my opinion on the matter, and by that reasoning there should have been no 2nd round.

If they rematched next week who would you pick to win? honestly

To me Carwin knows he can beat Brock now and Brock also knows that he needs to bring carwin into the 2nd, 3rd round to win.

Carwin's gotta work on stuff like cardio and his ground skills before a rematch. It's been said that wrestlers don't like being on their backs and in Carwin it showed as he did feck all or didn't know what to do. When Lesnar was hit with that uppercut he backed off, stumbled and hid like a little girl. A TKO ground n pound victory over Brock I think is there for the taking imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

New to the sport here. I know nothing about the history of both fighters, or any other fighter for that matter.

Just a question. Why do people hate Brock Lesnar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

tc2010 wrote: »
    New to the sport here. I know nothing about the history of both fighters, or any other fighter for that matter.

i dont, i personally think he's great!

Some dont like that his WWE fame put him higher then a lot of fighters who worked up from lower circuits.
    Some find him loud mouth and arrogant.
    Some even say hes destroying the sport.

All I know is I like him and hes called the Lesnar :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

A TKO ground n pound victory over Brock I think is there for the taking imo.
    Did you see the fight?How do you make that out when he took all the g'n'p Carwin had to give?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

He came into the UFC on a 250K salary after having one pro mma fight. He then got a title shot after beating Heath Herring who is a very tough fighter. Also alot of people hate him because of his antics after he beat Frank Mir at UFC 100

TechnoPool wrote: »
    i dont, i personally think he's great!

Ill agree with you there but why all the booing during the match? What did he do?

edit - you all answered while i replied

unknown13 wrote: »
    He came into the UFC on a 250K salary after having one pro mma fight. He then got a title shot after beating Heath Herring who is a very tough fighter. Also alot of people hate him because of his antics after he beat Frank Mir at UFC 100
    People also forget that theres a very good chance Herring would have been in title contention if he won that fight.He was coming off a victory over Kongo and the only HWs above him then woulda been Nog and Mir since Couture was still awol

How??He was covering,moving,answering back with punches,creating space,answering the ref and as carwin tired he was controlling posture and eventually scrambled to his feet.He was hurt but he weathered the storm.

This thread is an absolute clusterfcuk of people repeating themselves and being ignored.

How am I repeating myself (my first post in the thread....of my opinions btw) and how are people being ignored? Do you think that when I read someones opinion then I should therefore 100% accept it and not post what I thought of it?? If anyone is making a "clusterfcuk" of the thread its people posting the usual tripe of "I don't agree with you and you're wrong and I'm going to keep posting it again and again until you agree with me"

Just for your information I would say that 97 shots (that I could count with cameras switching etc. so may have missed a few) from 4:05 to 2:26 without an answer from lesner (his answer was eventually 3 short rights from his back) would merit a stoppage. And I didn't even count the pummelling he got after that until the end of the round.

Anyway most people here don't have a problem with any particular fighter winning...thats for the WWE forum ;) ...people have a problem with reffing decisions!

Can't wait for the fightstats on that first round!

How am I repeating myself (my first post in the thread....of my opinions btw) and how are people being ignored? Do you think that when I read someones opinion then I should therefore 100% accept it and not post what I thought of it?? If anyone is making a "clusterfcuk" of the thread its people posting the usual tripe of "I don't agree with you and you're wrong and I'm going to keep posting it again and again until you agree with me"

Just for your information I would say that 97 shots (that I could count with cameras switching etc. so may have missed a few) from 4:05 to 2:26 without an answer from lesner (his answer was eventually 3 short rights from his back) would merit a stoppage. And I didn't even count the pummelling he got after that until the end of the round.

Anyway most people here don't have a problem with any particular fighter winning...thats for the WWE forum ;) ...people have a problem with reffing decisions!

Can't wait for the fightstats on that first round!
    How many of those 97 actually got through his guard or around his arms?
    Id guess 12 at the most

EDIT: Fightmetrics report is up.According to that carwin landed 61 strikes in round 1.No chance did the majority of them get through though.(These only measure if impact was made.Not if they actually got through the guard)

People also forget that theres a very good chance Herring would have been in title contention if he won that fight.He was coming off a victory over Kongo and the only HWs above him then woulda been Nog and Mir since Couture was still awol

They couldn't have gave Herring a title shot. Though having said that Werdum and Lesnar were the only two who could have got the shot. They gave Werdum Junior Dos Santos and this happened.

FULLSPEEDDosSantosKOsWerdum.gif

Never watched it before but when i seen a preview saying your man had destroyed everyone in the first round then seen the size of leznar i knew it was gonna be epic :D

It was like 2 gorrillas beating the **** out of each other :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Never watched it before but when i seen a preview saying your man had destroyed everyone in the first round then seen the size of leznar i knew it was gonna be epic :D

Hahahaha, that's awesome man!

You should watch more, it really is the best sport in the world! Once you watch a few shows i guarantee you'll start getting into it!

They couldn't have gave Herring a title shot. Though having said that Werdum and Lesnar were the only two who could have got the shot. They gave Werdum Junior Dos Santos and this happened.
    If herring beat lesnar in that fight they could have.Werdum was the only other one but Dos Santos ended that.If couture didnt come back nobody there was nobody else on a win streak

If your only getting used to MMA. I would strongly recommend you watch the Korean Zombie / Leonard Garcia fight at 3 on ESPN if you have it because that fight is fantastic.

Also, Reminder to others that that fight will be shown at 3 on ESPN. If you haven't seen it, try to.

• Advertisement

How many of those 97 hit anywhere besides his arms?

Well if you go by his previous 65% strike accuracy then 65%, but I'd say more like 20-25% but we'll see when the fight stats come out ;)

BTW I'm not disagreeing with you, everyone is entitled to their opinions, I just don't agree with you thinking everyone who thought it should be stopped is a lesnar hater and the like, this isn't the WWE. Any man/woman who steps up in an MMA fight has my full respect.

I'm just pointing out that there was a very valid case for a ref stoppage and I don't think many would have complained if it was stopped.

Carwin will win a rematch no doubt in my mind. And whomever was questioning his cardio?? You try throwing about 150 punches in 5 mins and see how you get on in the next round ;) His gameplan might be at question not his cardio.

BTW I'm not disagreeing with you, everyone is entitled to their opinions, I just don't agree with you thinking everyone who thought it should be stopped is a lesnar hater and the like, this isn't the WWE. Any man/woman who steps up in an MMA fight has my full respect.

I have discovered in the last 24 hours, from this thread, that there are a lot of people who don't share your seniment!

EDIT: Fightmetrics report is up.According to that carwin landed 61 strikes in round 1.No chance did the majority of them get through though.(These only measure if impact was made.Not if they actually got through the guard)

Sweet thanks.
    So that 61 is 61 landed not thrown so that 12 landed is way off ;) only messin

I wish fight metrics could show me Carwins gas tank going into the second. He probably had 5% left and wait who are his coaches again.

There was a shot of Brock before the fight when bruce buffer was doing his stuff and I could have sworn he was a big silverback gorilla! :)

If your only getting used to MMA. I would strongly recommend you watch the Korean Zombie / Leonard Garcia fight at 3 on ESPN if you have it because that fight is fantastic.

Also, Reminder to others that that fight will be shown at 3 on ESPN. If you haven't seen it, try to.

Do you mean theres more fights tonight\this morning? Or was that fight with the other fight?

Do you mean theres more fights tonight\this morning? Or was that fight with the other fight?

This is a fight from WEC (zuffa's other MMA promotion) but this fight is a fantastic fight.

This is a fight from WEC (zuffa's other MMA promotion) but this fight is a fantastic fight.

One of the best of all time!

Cheers. Ill have a look for that

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    One of the best of all time!

It has already won fight of the year IMO. I seriously doubt nothing will match that. The closet to it imo was the Leben / Akiyama fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Neberkenezer

josh rosenthal is the best referee ever :D:D

steve maz,big john,Mario .....all would have stopped that fight in the 1st .... josh is a legend

brock is going strenght to strenght ...velasquez will fail too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

josh rosenthal is the best referee ever :D:D

steve maz,big john,Mario .....all would have stopped that fight in the 1st .... josh is a legend

brock is going strenght to strenght ...velasquez will fail too

Brock nuthuggers are all well and good, and I admit myself to being one...but:confused::confused::confused: what are you, 12??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Neberkenezer

what about my boy leben .... he's sick... what a brawler,has some skills too,happy days ... and the american psycho and george sotiropoulos ... all my boys done well.

116 was a good night for me ;)
    callaway92 wrote: »
    Brock nuthuggers are all well and good, and I admit myself to being one...but:confused::confused::confused: what are you, 12??

???? it was great refereeing ... most of the senior refs would have stopped the fight,it was a great decision to let it continue.

oh i get it ... pick on the lad with 60 odd posts ... get off my sack.i'll voice my opinion whatever way i like,within the rules ofcourse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

This wee chestnut fans disliked Brock before he stepped into the cage for UFC and before they knew the details of his contract. I ****ing love the logic of he should of tested himself against Justin McCully and Eddie Sanchez before actually winning the title

I can believe you can write this if:
    You have at least one working eye
    Realise that 97 unanswered shots would have killed Brock
    Brock defended most of them
    Maybe 4/5 actually connected
    Each strike had less and less power
    Brock looked better after the "pummelling" than Carwin
    The MMA media has lauded it as the best ref job of the year/for a long time
    Of yeah Brock won you know

They do they are always looking for an excuse not to give Brock credit i.e. the fight should have been stopped.
    I'm just pointing out that there was a very valid case for a ref stoppage and I don't think many would have complained if it was stopped.

No you are completely wronf there is no evidence to back it up besides Rogan screaming like a girl "it's over, it's over" again and again.

Another Heyman interview with two MMA/Pro Wrestling journalists:

It is a long one in a noisy hotel room with some Pro Wrestling talk at the end. But he breaks down the fight and explains the referee's actions. It should address some of the conspiracy theories out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Screaming Monkey

Leben/Akiyama was my fav fight of the night, always been a fan of Leben, has certainly come a long way since the crying in TUF, the ultimate underdog, he was always a psycho, but now he's a thinking psycho.

As for the Lesnar fight, that elbow Carwin hit him with, thought his head was gonna explode like a melon, don't think Carwin is gonna mentally recover any time soon, it was his to lose, when i saw fresh as daisy Lesnar smile at Carwin the second round, mentally it was all over..

SM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

jaysus wat a night of fights...

american psycho rules...absolutely no regard for his own body. i re-watched himself and griffin this morning at work and it still holds up..

leben is a maniac...short notice and a hell of a fight !

and brock ? holy jaysus on a bycicle...he took the best carwin had and came back, he had it turned around by the end of the first round even after havin his brain rattled....another great promo after...

i need a week to get over that event...best one in a long long time...

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

All hail Brock !!!

to quote Joe Rogan -

"If he were alive 2000 years ago we would be sacraficing Virgins to him"

Brock looked great, he fought well and he even seemed to me to have learned some respect for his fellow fighters....no matter what people say all in all I think Brock came away from 116 looking better than ever !!

Cant see anyone currently in the HW devision giving him any problems..

All in all 116 was one of the best UFC to date imo, at least 3 fights worthy of the fight of the night!!

:pac:

Yo Mamma wrote: »
    Brock looked great, he fought well and he even seemed to me to have learned some respect for his fellow fighters....no matter what people say all in all I think Brock came away from 116 looking better than ever !!

Learned?

I guess you never saw his fight with Randy Couture. Brock was only ever disrespectful when other fighters or their camps were disrespectful to him. Sorry to keep jumping to Brock's defence but lets be factual here.

rovert wrote: »
    Learned?

I guess you never saw his fight with Randy Couture. Brock was only ever disrespectful when other fighters or their camps were disrespectful to him. Sorry to keep jumping to Brock's defence but lets be factual here.
    He said he was disrespectful to Mir cause he had previously beaten him.
    What has he done to deserve respect?
    Lets get factual here,he wins cause he is the most juiced person in MMA,not the most skilled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Brock was only ever disrespectful when other fighters or their camps were disrespectful to him. Sorry to keep jumping to Brock's defence but lets be factual here.

Very true. In fairness alot of peopel would react badly to all the bullsh*t Mir was talking. You have to admit that Lesnars reaction after the fight was far too much. Most "grudges" get settled during the fight eg. Hughes and Serra. Then to have a go at the sponsors was one of the most retarded things i've heard.
    baaaa wrote: »
    Lets get factual here,he wins cause he is the most juiced person in MMA,not the most skilled.

There's no evidence to support that. Unless you can provide evidence then your simply talking sh*t.

Shazbot wrote: »
    Very true. In fairness alot of peopel would react badly to all the bullsh*t Mir was talking. You have to admit that Lesnars reaction after the fight was far too much. Most "grudges" get settled during the fight eg. Hughes and Serra. Then to have a go at the sponsors was one of the most retarded things i've heard.

+1 on the sponsers but Brock has more than made for it since to the UFC.

I still find it funny that some people who probably got into the UFC via the Ortiz-Shamrock trilogy claimed the Mir-Lesnar post fight was the most disrepectful thing ever and theyve never seen anything like that before.
    He said he was disrespectful to Mir cause he had previously beaten him.

Im surprised you havent been banned after all this time.

+1 on the sponsers but Brock has more than made for it since to the UFC.

True, as evident in the 116 post fight press conference when asked what he was going to do to celebrate his win. :D

Well he got thrown into the deep end of MMA after just 1 pro fight. That alone merits respect in my book.

The only reason I didn't like him was his over the top activities following UFC 100. He seems much humbler now and that can only be a good thing. He was even funny and respectful to Carwin during the post fight press conference.

Hes gone up in my books (for what that's worth).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

His game is based on size and strength alone.

Yeah, the amateur wrestling background, NCAA title, 2+ years of MMA training, and natural athleticism & training ethic have nothing to do with his control & domination of opponents on the ground - it's all just size & strength...:rolleyes:
    By your [retarded] logic, a big bodybuilder could just come in & sit on people. Are you done embarrassing yourself yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Ok ive just been watching all the post fight interviews and have done a complete 180 here.

I though that the ref should have stopped it in the first but only Brock kicked out and showed he was ok it would have been.

But after reviewing it I think it was a great call from the ref. I was dying for Brock to lose but I think he would if there is a rematch.

Anyway I think it was a excelent PPV! was well worth staying up for ... Every fight was great.

And it was good fun sitting on here chatting about it trying to keep awake :)

Anyway see ya 117!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

Brock passes drug tests, thats all i need, i dont give a flying fck if he took drugs before mma, i dont mind if hes taking HGH now, hes passing the tests,
    also, hes freaking heavyweight, hes still making weight the same as everyone else, so if people want to stop him only using his "size" to win fights, maybe they should gain some weight and stop bitching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

haters.jpg

Yeah, the amateur wrestling background, NCAA title, 2+ years of MMA training, and natural athleticism & training ethic have nothing to do with his control & domination of opponents on the ground - it's all just size & strength...:rolleyes:
    " I wasn't the best technician in amateur wrestling. But I was strong" - Brock on his college wrestling days

" I wasn't the best technician in amateur wrestling. But I was strong" - Brock on his college wrestling days

You missed the rest of the quote.

More weak sauce posting

• Advertisement
Advertisement