Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 116 Discussion ****SPOILERS INSIDE****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

When we say someone doesn't like getting hit in the face, we dont mean literally
    Thanks so much for clearing this up, i was so confused :pac:,i actually thought that some fighters enjoy it, yawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTW8JHKOB5I

This clown seems to like it, from 2.40 on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

-is very lucky that shanes body shut up shop coming in to the second round as he could not take him down.

So anyone who has ever won a fight has been lucky that their opponent was inferior to them in some way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

JJayoo wrote: »
    Has there ever been a fighter who likes getting punched in the face :rolleyes:

Chris Leben maybe. It's a short list though.

Still think people using "he doesn't like getting punched hard in the face" as a criticism of Lesnar is hilarious. His stand-up obviously needs some work on a technical level but he can take a punch just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

Clearly no one likes getting punched in the face,especially off Carwin.
    It is fair to say though that Brock ran away like a little bitch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

baaaa wrote: »
    Clearly no one likes getting punched in the face,especially off Carwin.
    It is fair to say though that Brock ran away like a little bitch though.

Wow, what a reasoned, non-objective, well informed, considered, thoughful and analytical conclusion you have come to. Do you have a blog I could subscribe to? As I really think that being exposed to more of your pearls of wisdom could really educate me on the intricaties of, not only Mixed Martial Arts, but quite frankly, life in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

"f shane had 5 rounds in him, which i expect him to have in the rematch when it comes up, brock is/would have been in ALOT OF TROUBLE"

Gonna be a huge jump from having a half round in him to having 5 rounds in him.

You don't go from having 1 round cardio to 5 round cardio in a few months, that takes a lifetime to work up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭MarkFairman

As much as I dont like Brock, you have to admit he did somthing that no-one else has been able to do.....last a round with Carwin.

He took everything Carwin had to give (who cares if he covered up for the round), then came out in the second and won. People say Carwin would of won if he didnt gas.......well guess what he did! In most combat sports cardio is even more important than the power of your punch. Cardio in my opinion is the worst and hardest part of training, and Brock is a deserved champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Lets see can we get 100 pages of the exact same arguement back and forth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Chris Leben maybe. It's a short list though.

Still think people using "he doesn't like getting punched hard in the face" as a criticism of Lesnar is hilarious. His stand-up obviously needs some work on a technical level but he can take a punch just fine.

Not being able to take a punch is not the same as not liking getting hit.
    I actually think Brock showed he has a fairly good chin in the fight against Carwin and that he can take some punishment. He took some heavy shots early in the flurry but he didn't get knocked out and always had his covering his head.
    Brocks problem, though, is that he panicked when he got hit, and by cowering up and running away after the first shots while standing, he ended up in a situation where he got dominated on the ground and took more punches than he should have. If he can learn to stay calm when getting hit, or at least counter/defend more effectively, he will be a major problem for anyone to beat.

• Advertisement

Cardio in my opinion is the worst and hardest part of training, and Brock is a deserved champion.
    This is true,although a lot of people are trying to suggest that he's worlds No 1 cause he had better cardio than Carwin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This is true,although a lot of people are trying to suggest that he's worlds No 1 cause he had better cardio than Carwin.

He is currently the No.1 HW in the World. Whether you like it or not!

You can continue calling him a "B*tch" (what are you, 12?) and let your hatred for Brock blind you, but at the end of the day, he's the No.1!

He beat Carwin, deal with it!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    He is currently the No.1 HW in the World. Whether you like it or not!

You can continue calling him a "B*tch" (what are you, 12?) and let your hatred for Brock blind you, but at the end of the day, he's the No.1!

He beat Carwin, deal with it!
    My age is irrelevant,as is my wording, that you're getting so excited about,you know what I meant.
    He's the No 1 draw,I'll give him that much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Pay no attention to baaa, seriously. Look at the posts he made Sunday and Monday.

rovert wrote: »
    Pay no attention to baaa, seriously. Look at the posts he made Sunday and Monday.

As i was typing i was actually thinking "This is the same guy from Sunday and Monday, why am i rising?"

My fault!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Id rather not put myself through that again tbh

This is the funniest,Id say trevor has just made the changeover from watching wrestling.
    You diss Brock you diss him:D

I rewatched the whole card on my Sky+, i've said it before but i'll say it again! What an incredible card.

In fact, i think i'll put on Leben v Sexiyama right now :pac:

I rewatched the whole card on my Sky+, i've said it before but i'll say it again! What an incredible card.

In fact, i think i'll put on Leben v Sexiyama right now :pac:
    Great card alright,brought over a lot of fans from many different types of entertainment.

• Advertisement

This is the funniest,Id say trevor has just made the changeover from watching wrestling.
    You diss Brock you diss him:D

Please stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭hisholinessnb

I see whats happening here, you defend Brock against the regulars who don't like him, and are labelled a wrestling fan or recent convert from wrestling as if this is somehow meant to make your opinion less credible.

Some quality debating techniques on here :cool:

Great card alright,brought over a lot of fans from many different types of entertainment.

Of course. After all, everyone likes to be entertained. Why would it be weird that people who like other forms of entertainment would like MMA?

In fact, i watched a movie once and i thought it was entertaining......... but that was a long time ago!

Please stop.
    No.
    He has 6 fights and 1 loss and an extremely limited skillset.
    He is not No 1.

Of course. After all, everyone likes to be entertained. Why would it be weird that people who like other forms of entertainment would like MMA?

In fact, i watched a movie once and i thought it was entertaining......... but that was a long time ago!
    That's nice.
    I don't know why it would be weird,did I say it would?

He is very important to the troll demographic it seems.

• Advertisement

seadnamac wrote: »
    Have a read back over this thread and tell me it's better than anything you would see on Sherdog. 'Looked like a fix', 'ref must have been influenced', 'Brock ran away like a bitch', ' ran crying to his mommy', 'he may be a champion but he's no fighter', 'he only won because Carwin didn't have better cardio' etc. etc. etc.

FFS.

Hey, Brock did run away, panic and completely cover up in the first round, and I sincerely doubt he would have won if Carwin hadn't gassed (its not like he could take down Carwin in the first round), so its not like some of these arent valid points.
    Now I dont think the fight was fixed, or the ref was influenced, but while he won the fight and is still heavyweight champion, Brock has yet to impress me like GSP or Anderson Silva does.

Hey, Brock did run away, panic and completely cover up in the first round, and I sincerely doubt he would have won if Carwin hadn't gassed (its not like he could take down Carwin in the first round), so its not like some of these arent valid points.
    Now I dont think the fight was fixed, or the ref was influenced, but while he won the fight and is still heavyweight champion, Brock has yet to impress me like GSP or Anderson Silva does.

But he did! And that's that!

If my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle! An MMA fight is a massive collection of "ifs". If that punch had landed, it would've been over, if that punch hadn't have landed, this guy would've won on points!

Step away from the "ifs" and get with the facts!

Once again selectively leaving out anything in reference to Carwins punching power.

No.
    He has 6 fights and 1 loss and an extremely limited skillset.
    He is not No 1.

Wow! You put forward a compelling argument, revealing many points in which i was previously unaware!

May i subscribe to your newsletter?

If my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle! An MMA fight is a massive collection of "ifs". If that punch had landed, it would've been over, if that punch hadn't have landed, this guy would've won on points!

Yes,the facts are Carwin gassed and DUE TO THIS Brock won.

• Advertisement

Please stop with low grade posting

Due to the gassing and other factors, but yes, Brock's victory had a lot to do with Carwin gassing.

You say this as if it should take anything away from Brock's victory. Why not just say "Leben only won because he made Akiyama tap"?

If you really don't think having cardio and a proper gas-tank in MMA is more or just as important as your striking, grappling etc then you really don't have any clue about MMA!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Good God.

And GSP wouldn't have won if (insert opponents name here) hadn't been unable to defend a takedown.

Good God.

And GSP wouldn't have won if (insert opponents name here) hadn't been unable to defend a takedown.

You know that Anderson Silva would've never beat anyone had his opponents been better than him in every way?

Ok sorry,I'll try raise the grade of my posts for you.

Ok sorry,I'll try raise the grade of my posts for you.

About time!

Due to the gassing and other factors, but yes, Brock's victory had a lot to do with Carwin gassing.

You say this as if it should take anything away from Brock's victory. Why not just say "Leben only won because he made Akiyama tap"?

If you really don't think having cardio and a proper gas-tank in MMA is more or just as important as your striking, grappling etc then you really don't have any clue about MMA!
    Look,are you saying that Brock has a good gas tank?Because that is what you're thinking.The problem is it hasn't been tested.Carwin isn't a gas tank test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭hisholinessnb

I think its just time some lads agreed to disagree on here and let this go rather than continuously clamour for the last word.

The ifs are part of the facts. Brock didn't win because of any skill he brought to the fight. He won because Carwin completely gassed. I'm not saying he shouldn't have won, or didn't deserve to win, but to say that the fight shows how good Brocks game is (as opposed to how bad Carwins is) is naive. He has still to impress me and is not number 1 heavyweight for me.

The ifs are part of the facts. Brock didn't win because of any skill he brought to the fight. He won because Carwin completely gassed. I'm not saying he shouldn't have won, or didn't deserve to win, but to say that the fight shows how good Brocks game is (as opposed to how bad Carwins is) is naive. He has still to impress me and is not number 1 heavyweight for me.
    Exactly,there are more negatives to be taken from Brock's performance than positives.

• Advertisement

Look,are you saying that Brock has a good gas tank?Because that is what you're thinking.The problem is it hasn't been tested.Carwin isn't a gas tank test.

Seriously give it a break

Once again selectively leaving out anything in reference to Carwins punching power.

Punching power that just Brock in the arms, like you claimed?
    Do you think getting hit hard is a good excuse for Brock running away and curling up in a ball? Do you think that was an impressive way for Brock to react (considereing at one point, halfway through the stand up flurry, Brock caught Carwin with a knee and could have stepped in for double unders)?
    Carwins punching power is irrelevent because Brock could obvious take it (he survived to the second round without gassing too much because of it). He panicked when hit and that is not and impressive reaction from someone people here are lauding as number one heavyweight in the world.

Do you thin Brock would have won if Carwin hadn't gassed?

Punching power that just Brock in the arms, like you claimed?

I didnt claim that.

You are asking for me to simulate a fight where Carwin has effectively unlimited cardio. Sorry but Id prefer to leave that stuff to UFC Undisputed. :pac: I would prefer to deal with reality here.

Brock didn't win because of any skill he brought to the fight.

Yeah, his wrestling isn't a skill, an Arm-Triangle isn't a skill!

And you can write another long-winded post trying to pick holes in this and that, but you're being ridiculous! Why aren't you analysing any other fights so closely?

Why aren't you telling us how Gerald Harris would never have won had it not been for a giant slam?

Tha fact is, it was a fight, and Brock won the fight!
    Exactly,there are more negatives to be taken from Brock's performance than positives.

This is just your opinion, a severely clouded one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Rovert Baaa's opinion is just as relevant of yours and in my opinion is more realistic anyway so lay off him for disagreeing with you, It's clear you like fighters who run and fold up and he does not, thats fine and your perogative, If you feel Lesnar won due to anything other than Carwin gassing thats fine but you wont convince me otherwise, your fine to disagree with me and baaaa and anyone else but dont keep telling people to give it breaks etc because they don't share your opinion.

it's not like he's on his own in the beliefs or is saying anything crazy or unrealistic.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Fwiw, and I am not a massive UFC fan, but I seen the fight and Brock won it fair and square. I think how he won it is irrelevant, you can only beat whats in front of you and he did. He may not be the best heavy weight in the world in some peoples opinions, but somebody has to come along and beat him to prove that he isnt.
    It was an enthralling fight none the less, and a great card over all.

He paniced and got lucky with Carwin's sloppiness.
    There are fighters that can do what Carwin did but they can finish it also and have cardio.

• Advertisement

Good God.

GSP wins because he is better at takedowns than (insert opponents name here) is better at defending takedowns.
    Brock won because Carwin gassed.
    How can anyone claim to be a serious fan of the sport and try to equate these totally different situations? Its very simple:
    GSP wins because of something he brings to the cage (his skill in takedowns). He is lauded because no other fighter wins like him and beats the opponents he does.
    Brock won because of something his opponent didn't have. He doesn't deserve the praise he is getting because anyone could have beaten Carwin in the second, he did nothing to defend.

Advertisement