Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 116 Discussion ****SPOILERS INSIDE****

1212223242527»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Drphilg, The lack of stand up is not the problem-it;s the fear of getting hit and ya cant train that-some people are just soft when it comes to getting punched, 1 of the lads i train can do all parts of the game but as soon as he is hit, he mentally breaks, it's not his chin thats lacking just like Brock-it's his heart and his fear of getting hit.

Genuinely when they say some people like getting hit, it's almost true-for some people this just sharpens them up and brings out there warrior spirit!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

cowzerp wrote: »
    Drphilg, The lack of stand up is not the problem-it;s the fear of getting hit and ya cant train that-some people are just soft when it comes to getting punched, 1 of the lads i train can do all parts of the game but as soon as he is hit, he mentally breaks, it's not his chin thats lacking just like Brock-it's his heart and his fear of getting hit.

Genuinely when they say some people like getting hit, it's almost true-for some people this just sharpens them up and brings out there warrior spirit!

or maybe you just hate lesnar with a passion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭MarkFairman

There is a big difference between getting hit in the gym and taking a punch from Shane Carwin!

The man finished all his fights in the 1st round. The heaviest hitter ever in the UFC, I think anyone would be gun shy after getting clipped by him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭YamaMotoYama

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Just catching up with this as I've been away for 2 weeks, (including going to 116). Here's my brief summary/thoughts.

Brock only won because Carwin gassed, blah blah blah. How about "Carwin only came close because Brock has poor standup". Next time Carwin will work on his cardio and Brock will work on his striking. Carwin's gas tank is no better an excuse than Brock's crappy standup.

Brock has no chin? Crap. People wondered why Carwin finished Gonzaga with what looked like a weak shot? Because he hits like a train. He caught Brock with hard shots standing and on the ground and Brock was never wobbled. He nearly shat himself and defended horribly, but his knees didn't go nor his eyes roll. He has taken solid shots from Mir, Couture and Herring but none as hard as Carwin, which is why he reacted so badly.

The ref should have stopped it. Read Rosenthal's own thoughts on the fight and Brock's comments. Both fighters were told before the fight that if the situation ended up exactly like it did, he would give a fair chance and would give 3 warnings before stepping in. He did just that and IMO it was an excellent reffing performance. When Brock just covered his head he was warned. When he was warned he responded immediately which proved that he had his wits about him and was aware of what he was doing.

Brock couldn't take Carwin down. Watching it on the night, I'd agree. I was supporting Lesnar but when Carwin escaped that first attempt I started to worry. But I watched it quickly again last night and unless I'm mistaken, did Carwin not catch hijm with a good punch as he shot? Rogan even said as he rushed that Brock got clipped. Not taking anything away from Carwin by the way, just poiinting out that Brock didn't fail in the takedown as such, he got a slap in the ear as he tried it.

For me, positives and negatives for Lesnar. But after gettign his ground game exposed by Mir first time, he went on to improve leaps and bounds. His standup was exposed by Shane Carwin this time and I expect a similar improvement by the time he faces Velasquez. However I don't think that Cain hits anywhere near as hard as Carwin and is a lot smaller so I expect Brock's size, strength and wrestling to come in again.

That is some serius Brock luvin'! :)
    Carwin should have finished it... tis a shame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

That is some serius Brock luvin'! :)
    Carwin should have finished it... tis a shame!

Why does looking at a fight as it went mean "Brock luvin"?

or maybe you just hate lesnar with a passion?

Do i also hate my clubmate that i train?!

I've stated so many times i dont hate Brock so lay of the stupid comments that have no basis-i'm not his biggest fan and will be rooting for Cain but i certainly dont hate Lesnar, after his performance against mir part 2 i thought he was great at doing what he does and feel he can do that to anyone, he's still very 1 dimensional and now the fact he's scared to be hit shows a whole new area of potential problems for him in future.

it just happens his 1 dimension is suited to been like a silver back gorilla and is very effective in the octagon..

So to set the record straight i dont hate Brock lesnar and as embarrising as i think it is adults following WWE which is great for kids (2 of my fighters are big fans and the banter is fun about it)
    i dont look at Brock as a pro wrestler, i look at him as an amateur wrestler turned MMA fighter. ps, 1 of my favourite programs is Handy Manny which i watch most mornings so maybe it's unfair me judging adults following wwe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

True, his standup has never been good, but I don't think anyone has hit him nearly as hard as Carwin did. That shock is what made him lose his composure so badly. I don't think anyone else in the UFC HW division hits that hard and certainly nobody has as good a combination of power and high level wrestling. I felt that Carwin had probably the best shot at beating Lesnar and I still think that's true.

I freely admit to being a fan of Lesnar because of the pure potential he has if he continues to improve at the same rate. Cowzerp you may not hate Lesnar because of his WWE past but a vast majority do. I spoke to loads of people last year at 100 and this year at 11 and I'd say about 90% of the hardcore fans can't stand Lesnar because of;

His WWE past - I never liked my teachers, should I hate Rich Franklin then?

His early title shot - How is that his fault? Blame DW or Joe Silva.

His attitude - I admit he acts like a child sometimes, but only when his oppobnent has disrespected him. Against Couture and Carwin he was perfectly respectful post fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

What a ridiculous statement. Once again you are completely ignoring/disregarding the power of the man he was getting hit by and have jumped to the conclusion that Brock Lesnar is afraid of getting hit. 2+2 = 1000 I would imagine.

Do i also hate my clubmate that i train?!

I've stated so many times i dont hate Brock so lay of the stupid comments that have no basis-i'm not his biggest fan and will be rooting for Cain but i certainly dont hate Lesnar, after his performance against mir part 2 i thought he was great at doing what he does and feel he can do that to anyone, he's still very 1 dimensional and now the fact he's scared to be hit shows a whole new area of potential problems for him in future.

it just happens his 1 dimension is suited to been like a silver back gorilla and is very effective in the octagon..

So to set the record straight i dont hate Brock lesnar and as embarrising as i think it is adults following WWE which is great for kids (2 of my fighters are big fans and the banter is fun about it)
    i dont look at Brock as a pro wrestler, i look at him as an amateur wrestler turned MMA fighter. ps, 1 of my favourite programs is Handy Manny which i watch most mornings so maybe it's unfair me judging adults following wwe.

What the hell does your opinion on adults watching the WWE got to do with anything? How is that related to this thread? If you really saw Lesnar as an amature wrestler turned MMA fighter then why would you bring that up? You clearly have a severe dislike towards the man arising from what he previously did for a living and a chip on your shoulder about Pro Wrestling. Who cares? He's an MMA fighter now, get over it.

seadnamac wrote: »
    What a ridiculous statement. Once again you are completely ignoring/disregarding the power of the man he was getting hit by and have jumped to the conclusion that Brock Lesnar is afraid of getting hit. 2+2 = 1000 I would imagine.

There is better ways of not getting hit than running and turning away and then eventually jumping on the floor, Mike tyson would have punched much harder and with better technique than Carwin and his opponents where not running away so your point means zero, he will do the same when cain throws the hands at him also..

seadnamac wrote: »
    What the hell does your opinion on adults watching the WWE got to do with anything? How is that related to this thread? If you really saw Lesnar as an amature wrestler turned MMA fighter then why would you bring that up? You clearly have a severe dislike towards the man arising from what he previously did for a living and a chip on your shoulder about Pro Wrestling.

Who cares? He's an MMA fighter now, get over it.

If you actually read what i said you would realise i made the point as his pro wrestling means zero to me and has'nt since i was about 10 and the Ultimate Warrior was the best! most people who dont like him, dont because he was a pro wrestler so i'm putting the record straight that i dont care about his WWE life, i never watched him on it so it means nothing to me, the only relevance it had to MMA is that it made him a name

That's what i was saying-so i would reccomend you get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

There is better ways of not getting hit than running and turning away and then eventually jumping on the floor, Mike tyson would have punched much harder and with better technique than Carwin and his opponents where not running away so your point means zero, he will do the same when cain throws the hands at him also..

Maybe they should have they might not have got knocked out so much...In all seriousness, if he reacts the same way against Cain then you may have a point. For the moment though, your basing this on sweet f*ck all and comparing Brock Lesnar to some young lad in your gym.

If you actually read what i said you would realise i made the point as his pro wrestling means zero to me and has'nt since i was about 10 and the Ultimate Warrior was the best! most people who dont like him, dont because he was a pro wrestler so i'm putting the record straight that i dont care about his WWE life, i never watched him on it so it means nothing to me, the only relevance it had to MMA is that it made him a name

That's what i was saying-so i would reccomend you get over it.

Well I don't believe you as it's the impression I (and many others I would suspect) have gotten while reading this forum the last couple of years. But hey I guess I'll just have to leave it here in case I get banned for trolling or something....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I honestly think Carwin had a better chance than Velasquez does. Vain is a great striker but after seeing him fail so miserably to finish Kongo despite spending about 13 minutes GnP-ing him, I don't think he has the power to trouble Lesnar or the size and strength to counter Brock's wrestling.

Regarding Lesnar's reaction to being hit by Carwin, while it was embarrasing, I don't think it's the norm. He has been tagged to some extent in all his UFC fights, (so it's no surprise to me that his standup sucks) but only Carwin has brought that reaction. I think he knew Carwin could KO him and his plan was to get to the ground first so when he failed in the TD and then Carwin caught him, he panicked.

Advertisement