Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyres - Any comeback?

• 02-07-2010 10:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

I recently bought new wheels, and they came as a wheel and tyre package.

Now, the type of tyre was never discussed, but I ended up getting "Triangles", and to be honest, the may as well be triangles.

I've driven on bald tyres, half bald, over inflated, under inflated, burst tyres, bulged out tyres. I've driven on sand, snow, grass etc. etc. etc. but my god nothing prepared me for what these tyres are like in the wet :eek:

Straight line - grand.

Going around a roundabout at a normal speed (with myself and two other friends on board) I lightly pressed the pedal (as you would coming off the roundabout) and it was like being on a air hockey table, it was like the car lifted and started going for the kirb. I caught it before I hit anything. Now, the car is RWD, but the back did not go out, the whole car just went left. I can't imagine what these tyres would be like come the winter months or if I had to stop quickly in the wet.

My question - Have I ANY right to go back and complain about the tyres? They are E marked, but they must be the cheapest of the cheap, and they're clearly not suitable for Irish weather.

Any advice appreciated...

Comments

I would think you have no chance to be honest, a buddy has these on his 2005 Passat. As an aside your Merc looks overwheeled anyway which wouldn't help the handling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

RoverJames wrote: »
    I would think you have no chance to be honest, I buddy has these on his 2005 Passat. As an aside your Merc looks overwheeled anyway which wouldn't help the handling.

This isn't about handling, I've 18" wheels on my other car (A Golf) and it couldn't handle better.

These tyres are just genuinely ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

This isn't about handling, I've 18" wheels on my other car (A Golf) and it couldn't handle better.

These tyres are just genuinely ****e

You've nothing to lose going back. If they are unsafe, and you can prove it, it would be in they tyre centres best interest to swap them. You can't possibly be expected to keep them on the car and if they were any good they'd do it without any quibbles...

They are E marked, but they must be the cheapest of the cheap, and they're clearly not suitable for Irish weather.

They are! I must look into it more, what that E actually means.

Edit: A post went missing there :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

they are just budget tyres, perfectly legal and getting more popular as you can put a full set of new tyres(205/55 R16, very popular size) on your car for under €200! think you would be pissin into the wind goin back TBH

• Advertisement

they are just budget tyres, perfectly legal and getting more popular as you can put a full set of new tyres(205/55 R16, very popular size) on your car for under €200! think you would be pissin into the wind goin back TBH

I've bought budget tyres before, and I know how cheap tyres can be got. These are just shockingly bad. I'll go back for a chat anyway, I could of got them for €150 cheaper on t-internet, but I paid a premium for a good service (which I'm starting to believe in this country it isn't worth it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I've bought budget tyres before, and I know how cheap tyres can be got. These are just shockingly bad. I'll go back for a chat anyway, I could of got them for €150 cheaper on t-internet, but I paid a premium for a good service (which I'm starting to believe in this country it isn't worth it).
    i no yeah some of the budget tyres are really bad but they are still legal, no harm in goin back i would do the same myself but i reckon it'll be a waist of time unfortunatly! let us no how ya get on with him tho it'll be interesting

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Check out some tyre reviews before purchase is what I'd always recommend. I have seen triangles online as the cheapest of the cheap, so I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole to be honest.

Hankook are doing some very good budget tyres I've heard.

MarkR wrote: »
    Check out some tyre reviews before purchase is what I'd always recommend. I have seen triangles online as the cheapest of the cheap, so I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole to be honest.

Hankook are doing some very good budget tyres I've heard.

He didn't tell me what tyres I was getting, and in my own foolishness, I didn't ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'd imagine if they are that bad you may have some come back under sale of goods and supply of services act.

Obviously not fit for purpose...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Unfortunately they are all legal and above board so I don't think you'll have any joy taking them back. Maybe see if the guy you got them off will p/x them against something which will hold the road?

I had the misfortune of driving on triangles, in the wet, in a 150bhp FWD diesel. Fcuk me, roundabouts were scary and I'm very glad I went in easy as the whole car started sliding off towards the railings on the edge of the footpath.

How they are E-Marked and legal to sell I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Ive a set of them on the rear of the Supra (on it when i bought it)I have to say I have fallen in love with big open roundabouts, but scared of bends.

Advertisement