Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often does a dog need to be flead and wormed ??

Options
  • 02-07-2010 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi all im confused about this i have Ruby 6 and half months i fleaded and wormed her back in january,then again last month when i was at the vet last month she said that this dose will last a month..and with this weather it is necessary to flea them more often so i went in yesterday and the other vet said it only needs to be done twice a year because Ruby is 2 years old ?????Im confused how often do other ppl flea and worm der pets :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I think they say to worm them every 3-6 months, and flea every month.

I only deflea my pets if they actually get fleas, which is hardly ever. They mostly sleep outdoors though, so maybe the fleas don't thrive aswell outdoors. They only get fleas about every 5 years! The last time I deflea'd them was 4 years ago when I got a new kitten who had fleas, and I thought the others might have caught them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Adult dogs should be wormed every 3 months.

The spot on flea treatments can last up to 6 weeks but you can use them every month if a dog is getting re-infested quickly. Personally I only use these flea treatments if I find fleas on my dog as I don't like using too many chemicals on her. She hasn't had any fleas this year yet so I haven't had to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Yep, worm every 3 months and de-flea as required or every 2 months or so. If your dog does have fleas, make sure you clean the bedding area as that's where the fleas lay their eggs- they only hop on the dog to bite it, then hop off and lay LOADS of eggs. So give bedding a good wash and hoover the area really well, or use something like jeyes fluid if it's a cement outdoor run.
    I also only use flea/mite treatment if I know one of mine has them, otherwise I wouldn't bother. If you're going to be in an area with ticks in spring, it might be worth using the likes of Frontline as a preventative, but otherwise I wouldn't be too worried about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You worm adult dogs every 3 months.

I have never deflea'd my dog and hes 3 and half and hes never had fleas:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I worm my dog every 3 months, and use the Stronghold every month during the summer. I don't use it in the winter, as he won't have fleas then, and I like to give his skin a break from the chemicals.

The cat's basically a house cat, so I only do him twice a year.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sassychick

Dats interesting i got Ruby from a rescue so dat why i fleaded her in january and again last month i have never seen fleas on her i was tinkin i was doing it as a preventive measure:Danyway ill leave her so and worm her in september tanx guys...she is my first dog and im new to all this i just want to do wots gud 4 her love her to bits:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Flea only if there are fleas and rarely worm; home fed dogs do not need all these chemicals as often as this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Just watch out for fleas, flea dirt (specs of black in the coat, run your fingers through it every now and again) and scratching, and you'll probably notice if she gets them bad enough to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭lisar201

i just use a flea and thick replent shampoo for dogs when i bath my 7 month old rottie pup.I bath her about once a month.or if she rolls in something unpleasant!! lol its great leaves her with a really shiny coat, smells good and is a bargain at €2 a bottle, she luvs getting a bath!!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

I use advocate every month.dont know if thats over the top but its what my vet told me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement