Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contention Ratio Question?

• 02-07-2010 10:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just wanted to know about the contention ratio that affects broadband,
    If I have vodafone home broadband and my neighbour has eircom broadband, are we affecting each others broadband when we are both online?
    Or do you just affect the broadband of users from the same company?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Correct me if I wrong here, but my understanding is that if you are on an unbundled exchange then your only sharing with customers from the same company, whereas if you are on an exchange that must use eircoms bitstream product then you are sharing with all the other ISPs customers.

I'm fairly sure about this in the case of the bitstream exchanges and my reasoning for the unbundled exchange is because Magnet wouldn't be able to offer an uncontended line if they had no control over the way Eircom bundles them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭lazyman

Sorry mods, can this be moved to the broadband board please?
    Just realised its in the wrong forum,
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply Knasher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Moved from Nets & Comms

Advertisement