Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mastering

Options
  • 02-07-2010 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Anyone recommend someone to Master 8 tracks. Pop/Rock kind of stuff, looking for someone possibly in the UK?

J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

why uk?

in ireland i would recommend fergal davis down in suite studios.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

I second Fergal.
    I send him lots of stuff and am always really happy with the results.
    I see you are in Blanchardstown. My studio is in Clonsilla
    PM if you want to call to the studio and check the mixes before you get them mastered.
    Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tweeky

Why go to the UK? sure they will take the cash off you no prob and tell you your band are hot siht. After using mastering engineers for over 25 years in UK, US, Denmark, Belgium, Ireland etc. there is easily the talent/ears/gear here in Ireland and at a resonable price also. I use Richard in WAV, but Fergal Davis and Aidan Foley are good also. If you want the trip to England and to tell your mates you were in Abbey Road, go ahead.

Maybe this should be on a sticky with "mixers" "clocking" and "what are the best headphones?" as it's all we seem to talk about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tweeky

Grrrr. Sorry about the rant, if you need advice PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭BSOM

I've had some stuff done by Fergal and im looking for something maybe a little different. I know Aidan is really good at Rock stuff.

i was leaning towards the UK, because there seemed to be more options but if there was someone here id be happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

BSOM wrote: »
    I've had some stuff done by Fergal and im looking for something maybe a little different. I know Aidan is really good at Rock stuff.

i was leaning towards the UK, because there seemed to be more options but if there was someone here id be happy with it.

I think there are engineers with studios for pretty much all genres on the boards here from folk to hard full on dance music and everything between.

I'm English myself (at least that's what my mum says), and wouldn't bother going abroad to do something like until you're very sure that what you need isn't right under your nose.

Post some samples and then people can cite references etc... and point you in the right direction (to at least have a look)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

BSOM wrote: »
    Anyone recommend someone to Master 8 tracks. Pop/Rock kind of stuff, looking for someone possibly in the UK?

J

There a few in either Ireland or the Uk who have made more hits in the last 18 years that Richard in Wav Mastering, Limerick.

FACT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭bedbugs

I know a few folk here who've used Golden in California. All done over the web and a wonderful result. The list of clients kinda speaks for itself.

I'll be using them myself later this year. Very reasonable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭lazyatom

stephen quinn at analog heart is a dab hand at the oul' mixing alchemy.

stunning results and genuinely nice guy as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Richard at Wav is the boy for the job :)

quick, will give ya a few options, well priced, great sounding.... :)

our track is on radio in top30 and sounds great against everything else out there and its done by him :)

will use him everytime :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Richard Dowling, he cares and doesn't rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Bluebirdstudios

Richard at Wav just mastered an album I've finished for Bat Kinane ( also from the band Glyder ) The album has a very organic feel using no pitch correction or samples or time correction tools etc....
    So the first sign of heavy brick wall limiting and squashed dynamics would have been a huge NO NO...

The album had some serious guest players on it - Rob Strong, Pat McManas, Dave Roe ( Johnny Cash's Bass player ) etc . So it was important to Bat and I to get the vibe of the album right from start to finish. We went with Richard at Wav Mastering simply because he had done a track for Bat before with Glyder ( heavy rock ) which worked well.

We gave him no notes per say and just let him at it..
    The results - I think he got it spot on, it had all the balances and dynamics perserved from the pre masters bringing that glued sound and polished eq work and compression that had no distortion artifacts and not being too grabby.

I know there are other great mastering engineers in Ireland but in my view Richard deserves serious consideration when choosing.
    Declan Lonergan - Bluebird Studios

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭drumdrum

bumping an old thread, but just to say / warn people:

Be wary of using Fergal Davis.

I have had 2 clients and a friend both go to him within the last few months and his results had clipping on them.

Personally, I wouldn't trust a mastering engineer that either can not hear clipping or does not have the right listening environment that masks the clipping.

I honestly hate speaking badly of people, but with just too many bad experiences from myself and from people I know, I feel it only fair to warn people of his services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GerryHDrums

If not Fergal who would you recommend? I'm looking at Aiden Foley at the moment. Does anyone know if it'll be himself doing it or could it be another engineer on the studio?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭drumdrum

I really do hate speaking badly about people, so maybe try Fergal if you want. Perhaps he is better suited to certain genres.

Well, my 2 clients went to JJ Golden mastering in the US. Granted they are rock bands, but they were happy enough with the results.
    My friend went to Jon Astley (no relation to Rick Astley!) in the UK. He was very good. That was for indie-folk-rock type music.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Echoplex

Advertisement