Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info (including) photos) on ancestors - Inishkeel area

Options
  • 04-06-2010 6:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I posted last night but didn't use this thread, so thought I'd redo it here. If anyone goes back to St. Crone's and sees a headstone for my g-g-g-g grandfather, Rev. Thomas Stewart, I would love a copy even if it is not fully legible. Would he be at this church or the one in Dungloe, if he was with the church from 1779 to 1803? Anyone know? He lived on Rutland Island and I don't have a picture of that yet except for 2 of the old fishery of the net. If anyone travels that direction, I would really appreciate a nice photo. I should explain that I am from Vancouver Island, off the west coast of Canada and looking at the photos that you people post really gives me an idea of how beautiful Donegal is. Thanks, and sorry for posting in the wrong place yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Termonator

Victorian wrote: »
    I posted last night but didn't use this thread, so thought I'd redo it here. If anyone goes back to St. Crone's and sees a headstone for my g-g-g-g grandfather, Rev. Thomas Stewart, I would love a copy even if it is not fully legible. Would he be at this church or the one in Dungloe, if he was with the church from 1779 to 1803? Anyone know? He lived on Rutland Island and I don't have a picture of that yet except for 2 of the old fishery of the net. If anyone travels that direction, I would really appreciate a nice photo. I should explain that I am from Vancouver Island, off the west coast of Canada and looking at the photos that you people post really gives me an idea of how beautiful Donegal is. Thanks, and sorry for posting in the wrong place yesterday.

I will be back there in the next few weeks so will have a look and take pictures if I see the headstone. I will be out around Rutland also so can forward you on a few pictures of there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Victorian

Thanks ever so much for your help. I look forward to seeing your photos. Would you happen to know anything about the location of the old C of I parish church of Inniskeel? It would have been prior to the one at Narin/Portnoo that was built in 1825. I'm curious about 1740 -1760. I was wondering if it was the ruins on Inniskeel Island or if there was a different site of ruins somewhere nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Gosh, I know that area, Portnoo/Inishkeel quite well. I shall consult my books. Off the top of my head, the present church may be on the site of the old C o I church. Back shortly.

right, it seems that from 1662 the (Anglican) parish church moved from Inishkeel island (unfit due to " great arm of the sea" making it inaccessible much of the month) to a now ruined chapel of ease at Kiltoorish. That ruin is still there, surrounded now by fields of bluebells.

Service continued there till 1723 when the select vestry built something, now completely gone, near the north end of the car park at Narin Strand, Portnoo. This place is remembered by the name Churchtown. I think this still appears on the 1840's ordnance survey maps. This Churchtown building must then have been replaced by the existing beautifully sited St Conall and St Mark's church.
    I hope I have paraphrased Lochlann McGill's words in
    "In Conall's Footsteps" , 1992, accurately.

This church is now linked to the Lettermacaward, Glenties and Ardara rectory. The rector for all those churches is John Deane who has just completed a sponsored cycle tour of his scattered parish.

That's of great interest and help to me. The only info I previously had on my g-g-g-g-g grandfather, Rev. Walter Stewart was that he was Rector of Inniskeel around that time period. A snippet from "Tour in Ireland 1752" mentions ..."passed under an old church called Kilkenny, a chapel of Ease to Enniskeel, a mile farther I came to a village called Balyaristan: and having a letter to Mr. Stewart the Minister of Inniskeel I came in two miles to his house, the first half on the Strand and the remainder within the Sand banks; opposite to it is a small island called Keel or Inniskell (Island Red) in which there are two churches, about one the Protestants bury and at the other the Papists".
    I had read about the present Reverend and this cycle tour. I hope he is fully recovered from this venture and pleased with his results.
    Thanks so much for answering my questions and, I hate to ask, but if you have some photos of this area, I would love to see them sometime.

• Advertisement

SheskinNaransand.jpg

This is the view from the front of the present church, Naran Strand is below. I must have better ones.

Thank you Durnish for the photo from the church. It certainly is a beautiful coastline. Can you explain to me the difference between the spelling of Inniskeel and Inishkeel? Is one the island and the other the old parish? Or is Inniskeel just an obsolete use now?

Can't explain that. I just think that the spelling varies. I was just reading O'Donovan's writings of his attempts to set the names down in English. Sometimes he puts the "h" in and sometimes he doesn't. I am not even sure if the C of I Parish still exists or if it is now part of Ardara Parish. I forgot to mention that the rector's duties now extend to G'columkille. I think he has to shift from Lettermac to Glenck pretty quick on Sundays in August.

Not sure about this as we are not church goers. However, some visiting grannies wanted to go to the service in Portnoo(Iniskeel/Narin) a couple of weeks back and ended up in the wrong church at the wrong time.

Thanks for getting back to me on that Durnish. I just wanted to make sure our family tree info wasn't incorrect. It would appear that they are interchangeable. I see that Naran is sometimes Narin or even Nairn. Then there is the Irish translation as well. It is a bit confusing to a Canadian. Thanks again for all your help in this matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 discovery 2

Hi, Just wondering did you manage to obtain any photos of Rutland Island? I be there often on Duck st. and may be able to forward photos if you wish.

• Advertisement

I have not recieved any photos of Rutland yet. I would appreciate any you could send. Thanks.

Hi there,
    I took these photos myself about two years ago.
    1st a photo of Duck st as it is today. Most are used as holiday homes.
    2nd photo shows a fireplace all that is left of an old ruins.
    3rd photo is of some cattle grazing on Rutland Island with the village of Burtonport in the background.
    4th photo is of part of the beach on Rutland Island known as the back strand.
    Rutland Island is a very beautiful place!!

Hope you enjoy the photos!

Many thanks for sending the great pictures of Rutland Island. I hadn't realized it was still utilized at all. And you're right - it looks beautiful. Thanks again for your help.

You are very welcome. Glad you enjoyed them.If you ever need more info on Rutland please feel free to contact me anytime. Slan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 early

Here's another descendant of Thomas Orpen Stewart! This one is in England & through his son Walter George. Many thanks for some new information about him - I've researched other family lines but have just started on the Stewarts from an inherited family tree. Loved the view. It seems that he went to Jamaica under a bit of a cloud.

Thomas Orpen Stewart was actually my ancestor's nephew and you are right about his reputation. Unusual for a man of the cloth. His grandfather was my ggggg grandfather, Walter. I have searched your branch in Jamaica.

Someone else has also mentioned 'In Connall's Footsteps' and provided me with some valuable info from it. I hadn't previously considered buying but I will now take a look for it, as I am also looking for 'Clergy from Derry and Raphoe'. Thanks for the suggestion.

That was me.

I would also recommend the Glenties book, Inishkeel and Glenties, which I mentioned somewhere. The beautiful little church at Lettermac is included in the parish and I think it had a Stewart rector/curate listed, either there or in Glenties.

I am looking through my photo collection for Kilkenny, Lettermac and Churchtown (Narin) photos if you are still around.

Also, I seem to remember an article in the local Ardara annual, Dearcha, about the Churchtown/Naran site. Must look out for it next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭ardara1

Thomas Orpen Stewart was actually my ancestor's nephew and you are right about his reputation. Unusual for a man of the cloth. His grandfather was my ggggg grandfather, Walter. I have searched your branch in Jamaica.

Someone else has also mentioned 'In Connall's Footsteps' and provided me with some valuable info from it. I hadn't previously considered buying but I will now take a look for it, as I am also looking for 'Clergy from Derry and Raphoe'. Thanks for the suggestion.

I looked on Amazon and it was available at over 100Euro! - they're on sale in Nancy's bar in Ardara for about 15.

Durnish wrote: »
    That was me.

I would also recommend the Glenties book, Inishkeel and Glenties, which I mentioned somewhere. The beautiful little church at Lettermac is included in the parish and I think it had a Stewart rector/curate listed, either there or in Glenties.

I am looking through my photo collection for Kilkenny, Lettermac and Churchtown (Narin) photos if you are still around.

I would appreciate any photos you have of Churchtown area and the Lettermac Church and area. You can contact me by private message if you have any additional info, as I don't want to upset the applecart by talking about irrelavent topics on this thread. I'm new at this forum business and have an inquiring mind. My apologies.

• Advertisement

I have found the Kilkenny old church and graveyard photos and am enjoying the slideshow over breakfast. Also pics of Lettermac, the cashel and the Glebe House behind. The Lettermac Glebe house is in such a spectacular setting. We were following the Conall's Footsteps book when we eventually found the old Kilkenny site.

The Lettermac church/graveyard pics are in a different album.

This is the photo requests thread, so that's what I am doing. I am an old hand at board stuff. It's very interesting to "meet" anyone connected to the old rectors as we have often wondered what their lives were like with so few parishioners and in such isolated spots.

Right, off to Photobucket.

This is the C of I Glebe house at Lettermacaward, now in private hands. Centre of pic. Photo taken from inside the cashel (stone ring fort) You can see the walled garden and the outbuildings as well as the chimneys. Side view.
    LetMglebe.jpg

This is the site of the old ford, below the Glebe and cashel, mentioned in many travel books before the Gweebarra bridges were built.
    blubag1-1.jpg

This is on the south bank of the Gweebarra, at the ruins of the old Kilkenny church. Above and to the left of the cloth capped man's head is the Glebe house.

P1060246.jpg

That was me.

Those are great photos. I feel like I'm starting to get my bearings. Would you happen to have a photo of the cashel? I'm curious about it. Also, you mentioned the ruined chapel of ease at Kiltoorish with bluebells. Do you have one of that? I read about the castle on the island there which the Spanish visited. Great history.
    Do you have the author's name of the Glenties book, I can't find anything on line about it. I should be able to get the Loghlann McGill book on Amazon. Thanks again for the photos.

Ford4000 wrote: »
    Thought it showed some good scenes of the very small (uninhabited) islands surrounding aranmore as well as the island itself, which if someone wanted could be extracted to generate a photo. sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you for the video. I watched it twice, but now it seems to have disappeared. Was it on a you tube site? I wouldn't mind catching it again.

The sites are all marked on the Ordnance Survey historical view maps, if you have investigated that resource yet. The best way to think of the old parish is to connect it by sea and river crossings as that was the way to get about.
    The Lettermac cashel is spectacular. Here is the view from the cashel towards the sea at Dooey strand. Portnoo is visible, Dunmore Head, towards the left of the horizon.
    cashel1-2.jpg

Also, I am going up to Portnoo this evening so will try and get some pics of the Churchtown and Kiltoorish sites.

Glenties and Inishkeel, Liam Briody, 1986, seems to have been a private publication of the Donegal Democrat. It does get a mention in Wikipedantia.

Here is the view back up the ridge towards the cashel and the Glebe house, clearly visible in a dip in the centre, from the end of Dooey strand.

desk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I have moved a lot of the posts from the "photo request" thread to here.

Hi Durnish. We meet again on this new thread. I think the photo from the cashel in incredible. Also, your screen saver showing the glebe house above the picturesque village. Is the village called Cullion?
    I was reading about the Gweebarra ford and how the people crossed it at low tide carrying items on their heads. Must have been scary.
    I have now figured out the ordnance maps and they are a great help.
    Thanks for the photos and info. Victorian

• Advertisement

That was me.

Durnish - I'm curious how you knew that Thomas Stewart was curate of Lettermac (in 1760). He was Rev. Walter's (of Inishkeel) son and ended up as Rector of Templecrone in Dungloe. Did you find that out from "Clergy of Derry & Raphoe"? or do you have another source? Thomas was also curate of Clondevaddock in Rosnakill.

Advertisement