Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to put in an Employers Reference

Options
  • 02-07-2010 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭

Ok, Long Story Short, an employee needs a ref from me today, and there don't seem to be any blank one's on the system and no one else around that's written one.
    She has quite poor English and doesn't seem to know if there's any specific details needed.
    Basically, if you guys could tell me what I need to write for her, you'd be doing me a huge favour.
    What's been in references you've sought from Employers before? Is it just "Jimmy is of good character and I won't be firing him any time soon." or what?

Cheers guys and gals.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

"John Smith has been a permanent fulltime employee at XYZ Corp. for the past N years/months." is all that's required.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"John Smith has been a permanent fulltime employee at XYZ Corp. for the past N years/months." is all that's required.
    Correct.

However, if you want to praise the employee then that's entirely at your own discretion.

Do not say anything negative if it cannot be backed up by facts. So "XX is a great worker but I find can be a little lazy at times if I don't kick him up the arse" is a no-no. You are best to avoid saying anything negative at all and just avoid talking about the topic - so if they're always late, just don't say anything in regards to timekeeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Alright, cheers all!
    Much obliged.

Advertisement