Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broody Quackers

Options
  • 02-07-2010 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hey Everyone,

Not sure if anyone can help me but just thought I would give it a shot.. I have 5 ducks, Im sure they are all female, almost 100% positive but not quite. Up until a couple of days ago, when I open the coup in the morning they all come shuffling out straight away leaving 5 duck eggs in the nest for me. For the past couple of days one or more will sit on nest all day, If I go over towards them they hiss so I just back away.

Is there anyway to stop them being broody? Should I take the eggs out of the nest as I really dont think they are fertilised,

Any advice appreciated :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Bearpup wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

Not sure if anyone can help me but just thought I would give it a shot.. I have 5 ducks, Im sure they are all female, almost 100% positive but not quite. Up until a couple of days ago, when I open the coup in the morning they all come shuffling out straight away leaving 5 duck eggs in the nest for me. For the past couple of days one or more will sit on nest all day, If I go over towards them they hiss so I just back away.

Is there anyway to stop them being broody? Should I take the eggs out of the nest as I really dont think they are fertilised,

Any advice appreciated :-)

Be brave and take the eggs! A broom is a great help for holding duck at bay..

They will probably break into a sound like maniacal laughter and the whole clan wil; come running.

Just be strong! Fast and easy.

Do you have a drake?

They will share the sitting anyway; ducks have a close social structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bearpup

Thanks for the reply Graces7,

I think they are all female, nearly 100% sure.. They are friendly enough so would easily be able to get the eggs... is that the best thing to do?

Quite cute this morning, went into the coup & two of them were squashed into the best together :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Bearpup wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Graces7,

I think they are all female, nearly 100% sure.. They are friendly enough so would easily be able to get the eggs... is that the best thing to do?

Quite cute this morning, went into the coup & two of them were squashed into the best together :-)

Er.. you cannot tell a duck from a drake? ;) Easy to do; drakes have a wee curly feather atop their tail. Very distinctive indeed. The old American hairstyle a "duck's a*se" comes from that.

Well the eggs will be wasted else. Mine used to lay under the portacabin we had then and I did not want them to sit there so I winkled the eggs out with the brush.

They lay prodigiously but the nest sharing does not always work well.
    I once had three doing that on a huge set of eggs.

It won;t harm them to take the eggs away if that is the worry? They will lay on until that time is past.

And bear no grudges..

I enjoyed keeping ducks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Graces7 wrote: »
    Er.. you cannot tell a duck from a drake? ;) Easy to do; drakes have a wee curly feather atop their tail. Very distinctive indeed. The old American hairstyle a "duck's a*se" comes from that.

Well the eggs will be wasted else. Mine used to lay under the portacabin we had then and I did not want them to sit there so I winkled the eggs out with the brush.

They lay prodigiously but the nest sharing does not always work well.
    I once had three doing that on a huge set of eggs.

It won;t harm them to take the eggs away if that is the worry? They will lay on until that time is past.

And bear no grudges..

I enjoyed keeping ducks!

thats not a certain way of telling the difference, usually the feet are a give away, i had a duck that had a curl i was sure was a drake, until it laid an egg

Advertisement