Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serie A Superthread 2011/2012

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

flahavaj wrote: »
    Would like very much but highly unlikely.

I still harbor ambitions of Liverpool signing him truth be told... sure I can dream :p

I'm sure Inter, Chelsea, Real(heard Mourinho is keen on him) and possibly City will be very interested in him. He'll move for a pretty sum that's most clear.

Amuri's fantastic backheel goal vs Roma today -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Roma :facepalm:

Love watching Udinese. They have to be one of the top exponents of the 4-3-3 system, Di Natale and Sanchez are absolutely superb throughout.

Udinese didn't play 4-3-3 today, did they?

I didn't see the match but going on the players who played for them they must have played 3 and the back (Benatia, Zapata, Domizzi) and wingbacks (Isla and Armero). And Sanchez playing off Di Natale up front.

Lovely goal by Ghezzal today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Samp v Inter kicks off in a few mins, line ups are:

Sampdoria: 85 Curci; 26 Volta, 28 Gastaldello, 6 Lucchini; 7 Mannini, 4 Dessena, 16 Poli, 17 Palombo, 3 Ziegler; 8 Guberti, 32 Maccarone
    Sampdoria bench: 1 Da Costa, 11 Koman, 18 Laczko, 25 Martinez, 27 Biabiany, 41 Macheda, 78 Zauri

Inter: 1 Julio Cesar; 55 Nagatomo, 6 Lucio, 15 Ranocchia, 26 Chivu; 14 Kharja, 4 Zanetti, 5 Stankovic; 10 Sneijder; 7 Pazzini, 9 Eto'o
    Inter bench: 12 Castellazzi, 8 Thiago Motta, 17 Mariga, 20 Obi, 23 Materazzi, 27 Pandev, 29 Coutinho

• Advertisement

Udinese didn't play 4-3-3 today, did they?

I didn't see the match but going on the players who played for them they must have played 3 and the back (Benatia, Zapata, Domizzi) and wingbacks (Isla and Armero). And Sanchez playing off Di Natale up front.

They play 3-5-2 at times yes, I know 3-5-2 was their set formation a few years back(when Dossena used to play for them) but today it looked like 4-3-3 and it looked liked that the couple of times this season I've watched them(Isla looked much more advanced than a wing back position).

Perhaps I'm wrong here at least in regards today as I had half an eye on it due to watching the Liverpool match at the time. Fairly sure it was a 4-3-3 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Cant wait for tonights match

Line ups are:

MILAN: Abbiati; Abate, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Jankulovski; Gattuso, Van Bommel, Flamini; Robinho; Ibrahimovic, Pato.
    Milan subs: Amelia, Legrottaglie, Yepes, Flamini, Emanuelson, Seedorf, Cassano.

NAPOLI: De Sanctis; Campagnaro, Cannavaro, Aronica; Maggio, Pazienza, Gargano, Dossena; Mascara, Hamsik; Cavani.
    Napoli subs: Iezzo, Santacroce, Ruiz, Zuniga, Yebda, Sosa, Lucarelli.

Should be a good game tonight, a draw would probably be the best result but I like Napoli and would like to see them win, I'd also prefer them to win the Scudetto than Milan and I think if they lose tonight it will put them out of it.

really looking forward to this game now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

so weird to see Janku start. Hope he doesnt have a stinker...

• Advertisement

also. Amazing that Flamini is on the pitch and the bench :-P

the commentator for these serie a games annoys me no end

why was the pen given :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Handball. Stupid tackle by Aronica.

Not sure if it actually touched his hand but it was stupid and you're asking for trouble doing that.

Seaneh wrote: »
    why was the pen given :confused:
    Can only be handball, not sure if it was but he did raise the arm and that makes it hard for the ref.

patos really burst into life in the second half

Good to see KPB comming on again. Hopefully he can add some livelyness to the attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Gattusso in the wars again.

hes having a great game!

Also, well done KPB. Good finish.

Lad is built like a middleweight boxer! Id say he'd be well able to look after himself!

pato you sexy bastard

• Advertisement

and 3:..

Great goal from the duck!

Sublime from Pato. Begging to be hit.

playing like champions this half. Well done to everyone on the pitch. Lets see if we can end with a clean sheet!

playing like champions this half. Well done to everyone on the pitch. Lets see if we can end with a clean sheet!
    They are playing well 2nd half but Napoli have been bad, I think Napoli tried to play too defensive which they are not good at.

dor83 wrote: »
    They are playing well 2nd half but Napoli have been bad, I think Napoli tried to play too defensive which they are not good at.

Valid observation, but Milan still had to take advantage. Last year, i dont think it would have happened, this year it does, hence me saying 'playing like champions'.

anyone else think Urby looks like Dr. Dre?

Valid observation, but Milan still had to take advantage. Last year, i dont think it would have happened, this year it does, hence me saying 'playing like champions'.
    Oh, I agree and I've said a few times this season that Milan are playing like Champions but I am disappointed with Napoli tonight, as I was when they played Inter in January, because they are a very good attacking side and they didn't play to their strengths. Good win for Milan though, and a great strike from Pato.

thing that struck me most about tonight was gattauso's game and the respect he gets on the pitch. Even after leveling a few napoli players in 50-50's they shoock his hand, he helped them up, lots of them did that weird one armed hug thing.
    For a player somany on here were labeling a scumbag he seems to have the respect of his peers in serie a.

Had a fantastic game tonight.

thing that struck me most about tonight was gattauso's game and the respect he gets on the pitch. Even after leveling a few napoli players in 50-50's they shoock his hand, he helped them up, lots of them did that weird one armed hug thing.
    For a player somany on here were labeling a scumbag he seems to have the respect of his peers in serie a.

Had a fantastic game tonight.

He got a nice elbow in the snout as well during the second half - not much respect shown there!

• Advertisement

He got a nice elbow in the snout as well during the second half - not much respect shown there!

and he got up and played on without acting like a little bitch and then shaked the hand of every Napoli player the the end of the game.

The exchanges between himself and Dossena tonight were pretty heavey and both players walked away chatting and hugged eachother.

He was shown, and showed, immense respect over the 90 minutes tonight.

and he got up and played on without acting like a little bitch and then shaked the hand of every Napoli player the the end of the game.

The exchanges between himself and Dossena tonight were pretty heavey and both players walked away chatting and hugged eachother.

He was shown, and showed, immense respect over the 90 minutes tonight.

He still went to ground. BIG JOE took the nut to the nose like a rayle man.

He still went to ground. BIG JOE took the nut to the nose like a rayle man.

Go troll somewhere else. There's a liverpool circlejerk down a member because you're in here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

Napoli were very poor tonight, don't think they will mount a title chance. This was a game to prove they were mentally strong enough to contend until the end of the season and they failed miserably.

Two horse race IMO, Milan are favorites but I still hold hope of Inter pipping them.

Football Italia had a great piece on Gatusso after the Spurs game written by Serafino Ingardia.
    Now that Gennaro Gattuso has been handed a four-match ban by UEFA following his spat with Joe Jordan, there will be those who believe justice has been done.

Gattuso’s suspension, plus the additional one-match ban that he was due to serve for his booking during the first leg of the Tottenham tie, means he will be out for five European matches – but could theoretically feature in the Wembley Final were Milan to go all the way. Listening to what some had to say the punishment should have been even heavier than that, while both the player and his agent believe the sentence was excessive.

One thing is for sure, Gattuso’s behaviour as a player and most importantly as a captain of Milan was out of order and the Italy international fully deserves to pay for it. There is no excuse, whatsoever, for what Ringhio did on that infamous Tuesday night at San Siro.

That said the portrait made of Gattuso by the English media is unacceptable and blatantly bias. A night of madness cannot erase what the Rossoneri midfielder really is – he’s no caveman, he’s one of the most honourable players in the game. Those who know Ringhio personally, but also the majority of his national and international rivals, can confirm that Gattuso is one of the fairest players in today’s game despite his role of midfield pit-bull.

He is no villain nor Mafioso and he is not the dirty player he was made out to be. With only one red card in 104 European matches and one yellow card every three games, his record speaks louder than accusations and stereotypes.

Ringhio made a mistake and is ready to pay for it without appealing against the UEFA decision. His head-butt on Jordan was perhaps the ugliest episode in his entire career. But talking about head-butts, it is difficult not to compare the Gattuso-Jordan clash with the Zinedine Zidane-Marco Materazzi confrontation.

The retiring French star was only given a three-match ban for his mistake in the 2006 World Cup Final. And unlike Gattuso, almost five years after the incident, Zizou is yet to apologise for his actions. Furthermore, Zidane was quickly forgiven in the name of his immense talent while Materazzi inexplicably became the culprit. Even more shockingly the Italian defender was banned for two games and fined after being found guilty of provoking Zidane.

Lo Squalo Jordan smoothly escaped similar punishment and may be a harder man than Gattuso, as he was grotesquely described, but he was undoubtedly involved in provoking the player’s anger. Following the final whistle, Gattuso, who played the second half with a deep cut to his knee which needed 12 stitches, shook hands with Harry Redknapp and was about to talk to Jordan when he inexplicably went mental again.

Whatever was said by Jordan during and after the match does not justify Gattuso’s reaction though. As a captain and a veteran Ringhio should have known better. But what does that make of Jordan, an ex-Milan player, who returns to San Siro to allegedly abuse the captain of his former team?

It wasn’t really a class act from an old man and a Coach, not even if you compare it to the foolish reaction of a young-ish player. Jordan should have treated the Rossoneri player with respect, also considering that his achievements as a footballer are peanuts compared to Gattuso’s glorious career.

Regardless of who is the most successful and who would have the better in a potential ring fight, it has to be said that both men didn’t look good on the night. Gattuso, though, is the only one suffering the consequences even if one bad day at the office will not overshadow the fact that he is and always will be a calcio and Milan legend.

Napoli were very poor tonight, don't think they will mount a title chance. This was a game to prove they were mentally strong enough to contend until the end of the season and they failed miserably.

Two horse race IMO, Milan are favorites but I still hold hope of Inter pipping them.

Thats a fair enough assisment is my opinion.

But obviously I am hoping Inter don't catch them :-)

The next Derby could decide it.

• Advertisement

Thats a fair enough assisment is my opinion.

But obviously I am hoping Inter don't catch them :-)

We need other teams to do us a favour too, Juve could take points next week if they play well but I doubt it with the way they are playing. Should be a good battle for the Scudetto though and hopefully it will go to the last game again.

Go troll somewhere else. There's a liverpool circlejerk down a member because you're in here.

So much wrong with this post I'm laughing too hard to say anymore.

Yeah its going to be one of the most important derby games in a long while. Milan have the better team this year but Inter have the experience of winning leagues. Its going to be a very exciting finish to the season, which hopefully ends with 6 in a row for us.

dor83 wrote: »
    Football Italia had a great piece on Gatusso after the Spurs game written by Serafino Ingardia.

Great article, and very accurate.
    The fact that an Inter fan posted it adds weight to it imho.

Very few players get as much respect from rivals fans as Gattauso does!

Yeah its going to be one of the most important derby games in a long while. Milan have the better team this year but Inter have the experience of winning leagues. Its going to be a very exciting finish to the season, which hopefully ends with 6 in a row for us.

I dunno, i think inter have a better keeper and midfield, and probably a better back 4. That said I think Nesta and thiago silva are good as Lucio and the wall.

Both teams are pretty even but i actually think inter are stronger on paper!

This might run until the last day.

• Advertisement

I dunno, i think inter have a better keeper and midfield, and probably a better back 4. That said I think Nesta and thiago silva are good as Lucio and the wall.

When all our player are fit we probably have a better back four, don't trust Cordoba and Chivu though. Ranocchia has been a good edition to the team but he's playing with someone different each week hard for him to settle.

Midfield is even enough I think. Milan's strike force is better.

Very little between the teams, would not be at all surprised if it does go to the last day.

Our defence has been very bad lately and I put a lot of that down to missing Samuel who I would be very surprised to see playing again this season. I think we probably have a better squad but Milan are playing better and a lot of our players need to up their game if we are to win the Scudetto imo.

Hopefully it ends the same way as last season, Inter winning it on the last day with a few twists along the way.

yeah. Samuel is probably your most important defender. Like Nesta for us. Instills a sense of calm in those beside him and makes it seem very easy. Reads the game very well,

Its going to be an intheristing 11 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Truly truly awful from Naploi tonight. Much the same as when we played Inter away. Sitting back and showing too much respect to the big teams instead of bringing it to them. Napoli are not a good side at soaking up pressure so why invite it? Barely a shot on goal and 90 mins of hoofing long hopeful balls up to Edison. Without Lavezzi things don't tend to click up there regardless, but even if he had of been there tonight it looks like Matzarri sent them out with the same backs to the wall gameplan that fails them against the really big teams.

Credit to Milan, you can only beat what is in front of you and they did it without much of a fuss. Thought the penalty was a bad decision but it would not have mattered a jot. Outclassed, outthought and outplayed tonight.

Well done Milan

Inter's defence is definitely better than Milan's when everyone is fit. When Samuel and Lucio aren't playing, Milan's is better.

Gattuso- "Juve's right to want their Scudetti back. After 4 years, I realized those who weren't doing well took justice in their own hands. So the fact that Juve want their titles back doesn't seem so scandalous to me."

I dunno about all that but they shouldn't have been given to Inter, who were just as involved as any other team in what was going and somehow got off scot free and were rewarded. The evidence against inter is probably a lot stronger than the evidence against Moggi.

Speaking of Moggi, he'll be attending his first Juve match since 2006 today.

how long until he's back in the board room :pac:

Inter never wanted the cardboard Scudetto in the first place, Mancini and Moratti said at the time they would prefer to win it on the pitch but they decided to award it to Inter anyway and it would be no big loss if it was taken back anyway. Juve were treated unfairly in Calciopoli, but they were by no means innocent and Moggi was a huge part of that in my opinion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement