Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serie A Superthread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Storari was MOM. Two, maybe three saves that anyone else would probably have let in.

Pepe is poor as usual.

Krasic needs to look up and pick out a colleague once in a while.

I agree about Storari. It's a pity that one of him and Gigi will leave in the summer.

Pepe has to be sent back to Udine.

I agree about Krasic too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

There couldn't have been any better cure for a hangover than watching Napoli-Lazio. Absolutely epic and such an important win. I really didn't see a way back into it at 2-0, and then I thought we'd blown it after the OG but there's some spirit in that team.

Cavani is God. Twenty years after Diego left, Napoli once again have one of the very best strikers in the world in their ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Despite liking Lazio that was an amazing game, from both sides.
    Lazio can feel hard done by because of the red card, but it must be an absolute dream to be a Napoli-fan these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Mexes: 'I'm leaving Roma'
    From here

Philippe Mexes underwent knee surgery and confirmed he is “leaving Roma after seven unforgettable years. Milan? I haven’t decided yet.”
    The defender tore the anterior cruciate ligament during the 2-0 home defeat to Juventus on Sunday and went under the knife yesterday.

The operation will keep him out of action for four to six months, so he has played his final game with the Giallorossi.

“I am leaving Roma after seven unforgettable years. That decision has been made, I am making a lifestyle choice and will leave at the end of the season,” declared Mexes.

“I had my life at Roma, but I also have other personal issues that prompt me to make a decision. Even if I am very close to a club, I have to think about other aspects.

“The change of management has nothing to do with it, as I get along very well with Vincenzo Montella.”

He has been heavily linked with Milan for many months and would join on a free transfer, as his contract expires in June.

“Milan? I don’t know, I haven’t decided yet. There is so much talk about it, so probably yes. I do know I’ll never find another club like Roma, whether in Italy or abroad.

“This is football and life at times leads you to other decisions.”

Mexes played 258 games with the Giallorossi jersey over seven seasons.

Mexes and Thiago Silva would be a good partnership is Nesta decides to retire. Free too :)

looks like nesta is staying as well
    AC Milan defender Alessandro Nesta has dismissed suggestions that he could be set to retire at the end of the season.

Nesta appeared to hint last month that he could be set to hang up his boots this summer, after being quoted as saying that his career was 'almost at an end'.

However, the 35-year-old has now insisted that he has every intention to play on next term after enjoying a run of games in the first team.

Nesta: No retirement plans

"Last time I was misunderstood," he told the Milan Channel.

"I have not said I wanted to quit football at the end of the season. They asked me at what point I was and I replied I'm 35 years old and that I'm almost at the end, but not absolutely at the end.
    Satisfied

"I hope to play again, even if maybe I couldn't do all the games like this season."

Nesta added. "I'm satisfied because this year I've played a lot, but maybe I'm unable to play every three days. We will see what will happen.

"I'm always at the coach's disposal, and I'll always do my best, until one day, like everyone, I'll quit.

"But not at the end of the season."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11863_6856316,00.html

Tears of joy :')

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Inter v Chievo just kicked off on ESPN, line ups are:

Inter: 1 Julio Cesar; 13 Maicon, 6 Lucio, 15 Ranocchia, 55 Nagatomo; 4 Zanetti, 19 Cambiasso, 5 Stankovic; 14 Kharja; 7 Pazzini, 9 Eto'o
    Inter bench: 12 Castellazzi, 2 Cordoba, 8 Thiago Motta, 10 Sneijder, 22 Milito, 23 Materazzi, 27 Pandev

Chievo: 28 Sorrentino; 20 Sardo, 5 Mandelli, 3 Andreolli, 17 Jokic; 6 Fernandes, 16 Rigoni, 23 Costant; 26 Bogliacino; 80 Moscardelli, 31 Pellissier.
    Chievo bench: 18 Squizzi, 4 Mantovani, 7 Marcolini, 12 Cesar, 77 Thereau, 84 Pulzetti, 90 Uribe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

carlop wrote: »
    There couldn't have been any better cure for a hangover than watching Napoli-Lazio. Absolutely epic and such an important win. I really didn't see a way back into it at 2-0, and then I thought we'd blown it after the OG but there's some spirit in that team.

Cavani is God. Twenty years after Diego left, Napoli once again have one of the very best strikers in the world in their ranks.

And Cavani has outscored Diego at this point. Incredible season and DeLaurentis will do well to hold onto him. BTW was in the Distinti for this and the whole experience was just biblical. The upper sections that are technically condemned for health and safety reasons were overflowing with people. Adds to the atmosphere, particularly for us Curve A fearing folk:D, but on a serious note I hope there is no incidents where a fan could get hurt due to stewards not doing their job. When I went through the turnstiles, 2 lads crammed through with me. Usually its just one:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

Juventus 3 - 2 Genoa

The scoreline perhaps betrays the genera standard of play of both teams. Juventus wasted so many set-piece opportunities and defended poorly as usual (with a back four of Traore-Barzagli-Bonnucci-Motta this is unsurprising) but there is no doubt that on the balance of play Juve deserved the win. The goals by Matri and Toni and OG by Rossi (I think?) haven given us a faint hope of reaching 4th if Parma could do us a huge favour against Lazio today (1-0 atm). As it stands at the end of today Juve will be either 5 or 6 points of the last champions league spot with 18 points left to play for with Lazio in two weeks time. We can win our next 5 games if we recover Giorgio mid-april.

Juventus-Napoli for CL/Serie A would be a great fixture

Does the dream indeed live!? :)

I still don't think Juve have any chance of reaching 4th. Decent performance this morning though.

Genoa's first goal was comical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Napoli doing the business without God this morning too. I really have faith in them to stay in it until the end. Hopefully Fiorentina can get a result tonight (no offence Seaneh!) :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Napoli doing the business without God this morning too. I really have faith in them to stay in it until the end. Hopefully Fiorentina can get a result tonight (no offence Seaneh!) :P

If Fiorentina can get something out of Milan tonight we really have a cracking title race on our hands! I might have to have a root around for any purple items of clothing I have!

Napoli have a slightly tougher run-in than Milan and they have quite a double-whammy to finish - Inter at home and Juve away!

It's not going to be easy, but there seems to be a great spirit and momentum behind the team, not to mention absolutely awesome support. 15k were at the match today and I imagine there'll be similar at most remaining away games. There must be an awesome vibe in the city.

For the next few hours - Forza Viola! The next few weeks and always - Forza Napoli!

If we win tonight we give ourselves a massive chance of staying on top.

Forza Milan!

yey :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Milan have yet to lose any game they take the lead in this season in Serie A,please god it stays that way!

Good start but a few wasted chances. The Fiorentina center backs are a bit leaky looking tonight.

As for Seedorf,he must think he's 23 years of age tonight,great work rate!

PATO!!!!! Great goal!!!

2-0 Milan!

15.000 Napoli-fans in Bologna :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdfUamrCWQM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yeh, Seedorf has been awesome on and off the ball. Played a lovely through ball too into Pato which should've been scored.

That ref is a retard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Seaneh wrote: »
    That ref is a retard...

What happened?

• Advertisement

I still don't think Juve have any chance of reaching 4th. Decent performance this morning though.

Genoa's first goal was comical.

Until Fiorentina beat us, there's still hope.

Le King wrote: »
    What happened?

straigh red card for Ibra.

Ibra claimed after the match that he looked at his feet and muttered something along the lines of "you ****ing idiot" to himself because he lost the ball easily and was annoyed with himself, the assistant or 4th official heard it and called the ref over, ext hing he's pulling out a red card.

Ibra just walked off, didn't even protest, just walked away shaking his head.

Seaneh wrote: »
    straigh red card for Ibra.

Ibra claimed after the match that he looked at his feet and muttered something along the lines of "you ****ing idiot" to himself because he lost the ball easily and was annoyed with himself, the assistant or 4th official heard it and called the ref over, ext hing he's pulling out a red card.

Ibra just walked off, didn't even protest, just walked away shaking his head.
    And he gets a 3 game ban for that but they reduced his ban for punching to 2, makes no sense to me at all.

997305988.jpg

expectedstadiumrevenues.jpg

Milan v Samp and Parma v Inter both kick off in about 20mins, line ups are:

Milan: Abbiati; Abate, Yepes, Thiago Silva, Zambrotta; Gattuso, Van Bommel, Seedorf; Boateng; Pato, Robinho
    Sampdoria: Curci; Volta, Gastaldello, Martinez; Dessena, Tissone, Palombo, Koman, Laczko; Pozzi, Maccarone

Parma: Mirante; Zaccardo, Paletta, Lucarelli, Gobbi; Morrone, Dzemaili, Modesto; Candreva, Giovinco; Amauri
    Inter: Julio Cesar; Nagatomo, Lucio, Ranocchia, Chivu; Zanetti, Cambiasso, Kharja; Stankovic; Pazzini, Eto’o

I'm glad Leonardo finally dropped Maicon, he has been useless lately and has cost us a few goals and Nagatomo has been much better so Maicon needed to be dropped imo. Motta also dropped and both Sneijder and Milito are benched. Hopefully they put in a better performance tonight, they can't really play any worse than they have recently anyway. Milan should get a very easy win, Samp haven't been any good since January.

Samp will probably fall into the relegation zone this weekend. Once that happens, I can't see them getting back out of it. An amazing turn around considering they were in the CL at the start of the season. Garrone really fúcked it up for them.

• Advertisement

Parma have taken the lead against Inter, Giovinco with the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Criminal from Cambiasso in the lead up to that goal. Parma just have so much more hunger for this game.

Pato off injured, not good for Milan with Ibra out too.

Half time - no idea what Inter can do to turn this around.

Half time - no idea what Inter can do to turn this around.
    I'd take Cambiasso and Pazzini off and put Milito and Sneijder on, I actually think we have been playing better than recently, but still not good enough though.

• Advertisement

Sneijder on.

Why Sneijder didn't start is beyond me.

2-0 Parma, that is 2nd place gone now too.

Terrible performance.

Giovinco and Amauri with the goals. :o

Gio was outstanding.

Should be 3-0, Crespo.

Nice to see Giovinco doing well, Amauri can take a running jump.

Depending on results Juve could be 3 points of 4th by close of business tomorrow :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Will Leonardo see out the season? It looks like he has lost the respect of the players - they can't be bothered.

Inter deserve a humbling season IMO :D I hope Leo stays

• Advertisement

Coppa Italia semi-final first leg between Roma and Inter kicks off in about 15 mins, line ups are:

Roma: 32 Doni; 77 Cassetti, 29 N Burdisso, 4 Juan, 17 Riise; 7 Pizarro, 16 De Rossi; 11 Taddei, 20 Perrotta, 9 Vucinic; 22 Borriello
    Roma bench: 1 Lobont, 3 Castellini, 15 Loria, 30 Simplicio, 33 Brighi, 87 Rosi, 94 Menez

Inter: 1 Julio Cesar; 13 Maicon, 6 Lucio, 15 Ranocchia, 55 Nagatomo; 4 Zanetti, 19 Cambiasso, 5 Stankovic; 10 Sneijder; 27 Pandev, 22 Milito
    Inter bench: 12 Castellazzi, 7 Pazzini, 14 Kharja, 17 Mariga, 20 Obi, 23 Materazzi, 26 Chivu

This is both Inter and Roma's last chance of silverware this season so I would expect a better performance than recent games, the only surprise in the Inter line up is that Pandev is playing ahead of Pazzini. I'm hoping for a good game but it's hard to tell with the form of both teams, it could be a great game but I'm expecting a Roma win with the recent form of Inter carrying on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

dor83 wrote: »
    This is both Inter and Roma's last chance of silverware this season

You're forgetting we already won the Club World Cup this season.

You're forgetting we already won the Club World Cup this season.
    I meant last as in it's the only competition left that we can win, technically we can still win the scudetto but it would take Milan throwing it away and that won't happen. Finished 1-0 to Inter.

All of this weeks games are on today with it being Easter, fixtures are:
    11:30 Roma v Chievo (Live on ESPN)
    14:00 Bologna v Cesena
    14:00 Cagliari v Fiorentina
    14:00 Inter v Lazio
    14:00 Genoa v Lecce
    14:00 Palermo v Napoli
    14:00 Udinese v Parma
    14:00 Bari v Sampdoria
    18:00 Brescia v Milan (Live on Setanta Ireland)
    20:00 Juventus v Catania (Live on ESPN & Setanta)
    Some good games today, Inter v Lazio should be a good game with both fighting for 3rd spot and an automatic CL place, Palermo v Napoli has the potential to be a good game to and it will be interesting to see how Milan do without Ibra and Pato but they shouldn't have any trouble beating Brescia anyway.

Milan Squad for tonight.

Abbiati, Amelia, Roma, Abate, Antonini, Bonera, Legrottaglie, Papastathopoulos, Thiago Silva, Yepes, Zambrotta, Ambrosini, Boateng, Emanuelson, Flamini, Gattuso, Pirlo, Seedorf, Van Bommel, Cassano, Robinho, Giacomo Beretta (no.51).

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Baretta started with either Robson or Cassano beside him and KPB behind them.

Cassano and Robinho as a pair just won't work, Giacomo isn't small and how shy of challenging in the air, so I'd imagine he'll lead the line tonight.

Also, Pirli might start his first game in what seems like the duration of a length.

GK: Abbiati

RB: Abate
    CB: Yepes
    CB: Thiago Silva
    LB: Zambrotta

RMC: Gattauso
    MC: Van Bommel
    LMC: Pirlo

AMC: KPG

SS: Cassano
    CF: Baretta

Yeah I'd agree that Cassano and Robinho aren't suited to playing as a partnership but I'd be surprised if Allegri starts Beretta, I think he'll prefer the experience of Robinho and Cassano and bring Beretta on for about a half an hour to change things up. Having said that I've not seen Beretta and you'd have a much better knowledge about Milan than me Seaneh, so I'm probably wrong.

Line ups for Inter v Lazio:
    Inter: 1 Julio Cesar; 13 Maicon, 6 Lucio, 15 Ranocchia, 55 Nagatomo; 4 Zanetti, 19 Cambiasso, 5 Stankovic; 10 Sneijder; 22 Milito, 9 Eto'o.
    Bench: 12 Castellazzi, 7 Pazzini, 17 Mariga, 20 Obi, 23 Materazzi, 26 Chivu, 27 Pandev

Lazio: 86 Muslera; 2 Lichtsteiner, 3 Dias, 20 Biava, 14 Garrido; 23 Bresciano, 24 Ledesma; 6 Mauri; 8 Hernanes; 10 Zarate, 22 Floccari
    Bench: 12 Berni, 5 Scaloni, 13 Stendardo, 15 Gonzalez, 18 Kozak, 19 Meghni, 32 Brocchi

and Palermo v Napoli:
    Palermo: 46 Sirigu; 16 Cassani, 6 Munoz, 5 Bovo, 42 Balzaretti; 8 Migliaccio, 21 Bacinovic, 23 Nocerino; 27 Pastore, 72 Ilicic; 9 Hernandez
    Bench: 99 Benussi, 36 Darmian, 80 Carrozzieri, 29 Garcia, 94 Acquah, 77 Kurtic, 4 Kasami.

Napoli: 26 De Sanctis; 14 Campagnaro, 25 Cribari, 4 Ruiz; 11 Maggio, 5 Pazienza, 23 Gargano, 8 Dossena; 17 Hamsik, 9 Mascara; 7 Cavani
    Bench: 1 Iezzo, 6 Aronica, 13 Santacroce, 21 Yebda, 18 Zuniga, 77 Sosa, 99 Lucarelli

Cavani put Napoli 1-0 up early on with a pen. Julio Cesar has been sent off and Lazio lead 1-0, not sure because the stream I'm watching isn't great but it looked like Cesar got the ball and shouldn't have been off, not sure though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sneijder is such a class act, what a player

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    Sneijder is such a class act, what a player
    It was a good free alright. Palermo just went 2-1 against Napoli too.

Advertisement