Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serie A Superthread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Half-time scores:
    Roma 1-0 Chievo(Full-time)
    Bari 0-0 Sampdoria
    Bologna 0-0 Cesena
    Cagliari 0-1 Fiorentina
    Genoa 2-2 Lecce
    Inter 1-1 Lazio
    Palermo 2-1 Napoli
    Udinese 0-1 Parma

2-1 Inter, Eto'o with the goal was a bit lucky because the defender slipped.

Mauri off for Lazio for a kick out at Nagatomo, Lazio were putting Inter under pressure so it could cost them.

Full-time scores:
    AS Roma 1-0 Chievo
    Bari 0-1 Sampdoria
    Bologna 0-2 Cesena
    Cagliari 1-2 Fiorentina
    Genoa 4-2 Lecce
    Inter 2-1 Lazio
    Palermo 2-1 Napoli
    Udinese 0-2 Parma
    Inter go back 2nd and looked better, Roma now have a real chance of getting a top 4 finish and both Samp and Cesena got important wins in their fight against relegation.

Line ups for Brescia v Milan are:
    Brescia: Arcari; Zambelli, Zebina, Bega; Berardi, Vass, Zanetti, Hetemaj; Diamanti; Eder, Carracciolo

Milan: Abbiati; Abate, Thiago Silva, Yepes, Zambrotta; Gattuso, Van Bommel, Seedorf; Boateng; Cassano, Robinho

I reckon Brescia can get something from the game, Milan shouldn't have any trouble beating them but without Ibra and Pato I think it'll be hard work for because I don't think Cassano and Roninho are a great partnership. Milan can afford to drop points anyway, Inter and Napoli are too far back with too liitle time left to trouble them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,660 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I presume Seedorf will be in an attacking role?

Headshot wrote: »
    I presume Seedorf will be in an attacking role?
    Boateng will sit behind the front 2 and Seedorf will be in the midfield 3, he'll have a lot of freedom to go forward though with Van Bommel and Gattuso there to cover when he gets forward.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

About flippin' time...

Robinho has just put Milan 1-0 up after a very good counter from Milan. Brescia have been good and could have scored themselves, Hit the bar a few mins ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Crazy game, Milan definitely out of jail there.

• Advertisement

Catania fielding 10 Argentinians :D

Motta nearly sent off after 30 seconds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Del Piero can never be allowed to retire!

What a fcking shambles.

You must feel sick - but that goal was coming.

Juve were completely incapable of seeing out the game even though it should have been wrapped up before half time. Krasic was useless in the whole game. He messed up both of our best chances in the second half, and was at fault for the first of the two free kicks at the end by giving away the ball when he didn't have to. Felipe Melo also shouldn't have hand-balled in the wall. It shouldn't have come down to a last minute free kick though when we were so comfortable at half time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

Playing 2 Second Strikers, or at the very least two players of almost identical attributes up front in a 4-4-2 was the first mistake. Well hiring Delneri was the first mistake but you get my point.

Juve have no balls, it's been that way since Pavel left. I don't think I've ever seen such useless wide play. We play narrow, we suck, we try to play wide we fail. We starting playing reasonably well in the 4-3-3 4-5-1 system and the coach goes and changes the system...

Typical BS from our mid table club.

dizzywizlw wrote: »
    Playing 2 Second Strikers, or at the very least two players of almost identical attributes up front in a 4-4-2 was the first mistake. Well hiring Delneri was the first mistake but you get my point.

Juve have no balls, it's been that way since Pavel left. I don't think I've ever seen such useless wide play. We play narrow, we suck, we try to play wide we fail. We starting playing reasonably well in the 4-3-3 4-5-1 system and the coach goes and changes the system...

Typical BS from our mid table club.

That part was because Del Piero was back and it was justified by him scoring the two goals.

This weekends fixtures:
    SATURDAY, APRIL 30, 2011
    17:00 Cesena v Inter(Live on ESPN)
    19:45 Napoli v Genoa(Live on ESPN & Setanta)
    SUNDAY, MAY 1, 2011
    14:00 Milan v Bologna(Live on Espn)
    14:00 Catania v Cagliari
    14:00 Chievo v Lecce
    14:00 Fiorentina v Udinese
    14:00 Parma v Palermo
    14:00 Sampdoria v Brescia
    19:45 Bari v AS Roma(Live on ESPN)
    MONDAY, MAY 2, 2011
    19:45 Lazio v Juventus(Live on ESPN & Setanta)
    Milan can win the scudetto on Sunday and Napoli can go back 2nd if Inter fail to beat Cesena so this should be a good game, hopefully Inter win and Bologna can get a result so Milan have to wait another week or 2. Lazio v Juve should be a good game, Lazio need a win to stay in 4th spot but if they lose Juve might just have an outside chance of getting 4th themselves, and Samp v Brescia is a very big game at the bottom, a win for Samp would go a long way to helping them avoid relegation and make it very difficult for Brescia to stay up.

Line-ups for Cesena v Inter:
    Cesena: 1 Antonioli; 46 Santon, 25 Von Bergen, 3 Pellegrino, 6 Lauro; 24 Sammarco, 8 Caserta, 18 Parolo; 23 Giaccherini, 10 Jimenez; 11 Budan.
    Bench: 33 Calderoni, 15 Benalouane, 17 Malonga, 19 Gorobsov, 44 Piangerelli, 70 Bogdani, 77 Ceccarelli.

Inter: 12 Castellazzi; 13 Maicon, 6 Lucio, 15 Ranocchia, 55 Nagatomo; 4 Zanetti, 19 Cambiasso; 27 Pandev, 8 Thiago Motta, 9 Eto'o; 22 Milito.
    Bench: 21 Orlandoni, 7 Pazzini, 14 Kharja, 17 Mariga, 20 Obi, 23 Materazzi, 26 Chivu.

I'm not sure about that line-up, I'd prefer if Kharja was starting instead of Motta and I'd also like to see Coutinho on the bench.

Budan puts Cesena ahead with a very good finish, although he was left in a lot of space in the Inter box.

• Advertisement

Get in, Pazzini just scored 2 goals in stoppage time to make it 2-1 Inter, undeserved but a win for Inter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

dor83 wrote: »
    Get in, Pazzini just scored 2 goals in stoppage time to make it 2-1 Inter, undeserved but a win for Inter.

Loving it. Milan have to put away that champagne for another week at least.

Loving it. Milan have to put away that champagne for another week at least.
    Yeah and Bologna have a decent chance of getting something tomorrow imo and Milan have to go to Roma next week too so they could have to wait until the last day. 2 good goals from Pazzini by the way, the first was an excellent finish.

You have to love the end of the season for Italian football, you get superb opportunies to win some money for nothing. Tomorrow's fixed match is Catania v. Cagliari, Catania are available at 4/11. Shouldn't be surprised that Catania are involved in a fixed match considering it's a mafia capital.

Line-ups for Milan v Bologna:
    Milan: Abbiati, Abate, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Zambrotta, Flamini, Ambrosini, Seedorf, Boateng, Robinho, Cassano

Bologna: Viviano, Moras, Portanova, Britos, Cherubin, Mutarelli, Mudingayi, Meggiorini, Ekdal, Rubin, Di Vaio

I think Bologna can get something from this game, I'm not convinced by Robinho and Cassano as a front two and think they might struggle to score.

Half time scores:
    Milan 1-0 Bologna
    Catania 0-0 Cagliari
    Chievo 0-0 Lecce
    Fiorentina 2-1 Udinese
    Parma 2-0 Palermo
    Sampdoria 0-0 Brescia

Full time scores:
    Milan 1-0 Bologna
    Catania 2-0 Cagliari
    Chievo 1-0 Lecce
    Fiorentina 5-2 Udinese
    Parma 3-1 Palermo
    Sampdoria 3-3 Brescia

The relegation battle is going to be spectacular for the last few games!

The relegation battle is going to be spectacular for the last few games!
    Yeah, unfortunately I think Samps late goal will make it very difficult for Brescia but Samp, Lecce and Cesena should keep it interesting, although Lecce have very difficult fixtures against Napoli and Lazio to come. I expect the bottom 3 to stay as it is, but there will be some good games like the Cesena v Brescia game in a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

It basically comes down to Samp and Lecce really.

Genoa vs Sampdoria
    Sampdoria vs Palermo
    Roma vs Sampdoria

Lecce vs Napoli
    Bari vs Lecce
    Lecce vs Lazio

You have to love the end of the season for Italian football, you get superb opportunies to win some money for nothing. Tomorrow's fixed match is Catania v. Cagliari, Catania are available at 4/11. Shouldn't be surprised that Catania are involved in a fixed match considering it's a mafia capital.
    Surprise surprise, Catania won. A few of the bookies even stopped taking bets on this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Nobody told the Cagliari players that the match was fixed.
    Cossu and Astori fought like animals to claw back a goal and Catania needed a fantastic finish by Maxi Lopez to put them ahead AND had a man sent off.

Another generally poor performance by Juve, but they got three points in the end :)

4 Points in it, one of the worst Juve teams of recent years, an average manager, it probably won't happen but if it does, it would be immense. A fight until the end mentality is appearing, I like that, it's very un-Italian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Another generally poor performance by Juve, but they got three points in the end :)

4 Points in it, one of the worst Juve teams of recent years, an average manager, it probably won't happen but if it does, it would be immense. A fight until the end mentality is appearing, I like that, it's very un-Italian.

I thought I saw a bit of Juve of old last night, didn't play at all well but still got the win.

Melo had some crazy tackles in that game.

Krasic just seems to want one touch too many every time he has the ball, very frustrating.

I'm actually starting to see some potential in this team.

I still don't think we'll make the CL this season though.

• Advertisement

I'm actually starting to see some potential in this team.

I still don't think we'll make the CL this season though.

Where there's Brazzo there's hope.

Where there's Brazzo there's hope.

You gotta love him. He can go months without playing but when he does he usually makes an impact. He popped up with a couple of goals last season when we really needed them. He can play anywhere too. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

You gotta love him. He can go months without playing but when he does he usually makes an impact. He popped up with a couple of goals last season when we really needed them. He can play anywhere too. :D

I wish he'd go and play in Germany

He'll either retire or head back to Germany/Bosnia at the end of this season.

Line ups for Roma v Milan:

Roma: Doni; Cassetti, Burdisso, Juan, Riise; Pizarro, Brighi; Taddei, Simplicio, Vucinic; Totti.

Milan: Abbiati; Abate, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Zambrotta; Gattuso, Van Bommel, Seedorf; Boateng; Robinho, Ibrahimovic

Kick off in about 25 mins and Milan only need a point tonight to secure the scudetto but Roma battling for 4th with Udinese, Lazio and Juve need a win or it will be very difficult if Lazio or Udinese get a win. Should be a good game, I'm expecting a draw myself, going to go with 2-2.

• Advertisement

With that, the black and blue curse has been lifted.

Well done Milan, well deserved as they were the best team in Serie A this season, had a feeling it was going to be their season from the moment Ibra joined them.

My thoughts.

Serie A has turned out a bit like the Premiership. Like United soon to be, Milan were able to win without really being too impressive. Still, whatever you say about Ibrahimovic, at Serie A level, he just seems to be a goal machine and was a huge part in getting Milan the title. Best players for Milan this season have been Thiago Silva and Nesta; I cannot think of a centre back pairing that have been as good as these guys this season in any league. Biggest disappointment of the season has to be Juventus. I thought with the likes of Krasic and Aquilani playing for them, they would make the push to Europe. Unfortunately, it looks like the problems run much deeper there, the likes of Melo and Marchisio are just so far off the level where they need to be. Without a doubt though, Napoli have to be the team of the season and Cavani the player of the season. Great to see a team who can not only play, but have bottle and guts.

Next season could be the most competitive season we ever have in Serie A. Milan, Inter, Roma, Lazio, Napoli, Juventus will all feel they like they're in with a shout; even the likes of Udinese, Fiorentina and Genoa could have a chance if they're shrewd in the transfer market.

Felipe Melo has regularly been outstanding this season and his rapport with Aquilani is top quality, Marchisio is turning out a bit like Carrick I will admit.

We have no fullbacks discounting the boy Sorenson, who is average. Krasic has been a one trick pony (beat man for pace) Pepe and Martinez are utter crap although Pepe has his moments. No line leading strikers, three excellent Second Strikers in Quag,Matri and DelPiero but nobody for them to play off.

4 positions without quality players, we never were going to challenge for anything.

Had we players like Elia,Beck,Clichy and Doyle (hold up merchant that actually moves about when needed) we could have achieved what we should achieve.

Felipe Melo has regularly been outstanding this season and his rapport with Aquilani is top quality, Marchisio is turning out a bit like Carrick I will admit.

We have no fullbacks discounting the boy Sorenson, who is average. Krasic has been a one trick pony (beat man for pace) Pepe and Martinez are utter crap although Pepe has his moments. No line leading strikers, three excellent Second Strikers in Quag,Matri and DelPiero but nobody for them to play off.

4 positions without quality players, we never were going to challenge for anything.

Had we players like Elia,Beck,Clichy and Doyle (hold up merchant that actually moves about when needed) we could have achieved what we should achieve.

I agree, criticising Felipe Melo for his performances this season is strange.

Sorensen is way above average for someone who just turned 19 and has been playing out of position!

Doyle? What?

Sorensen is way above average for someone who just turned 19 and has been playing out of position!

Doyle? What?

If we're playing 4-4-2 a Doyle type player is what we need, not Doyle, a Doyle type. I can't think of any players that are like him that aren't €€€. Dzeko would have been perfect :(

Player like Rossi and Aguero are similar to what we have atm, We'll probably have to settle for Boriello

For a player who plays in a relatively deep lying role, he gives the ball away far too much. Don't think he has the consistency either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Congrats to Milan, well deserved and hopefully they'll be better in europe next season.

Here's hoping Napoli can snatch second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

A fully deserved Scudetto. They have been top of the table all season and dispatched their closest rivals with ease on the big match occasions. Happy for Allegri as he has brought a fresher approach to the is Milan side. Hope that Napoli can finish strongly enough to gain 2nd, but 3rd would be no small accomplishment. Again though well done Milan

Line ups for Udinese v Lazio:
    Udinese: 1 Handanovic; 17 Benatia, 2 Zapata, 45 Angella; 3 Isla, 19 Badu, 66 Pinzi, 20 Asamoah, 27 Armero; 7 Sanchez, 10 Di Natale

Lazio: 86 Muslera; 2 Lichtsteiner, 20 Biava, 3 Dias, 14 Garrido; 32 Brocchi, 11 Matuzalem; 15 Gonzalez, 8 Hernanes, 22 Floccari; 10 Zarate

And Inter v Fiorentina:
    Inter: 1 Julio Cesar; 13 Maicon, 15 Ranocchia, 23 Materazzi, 26 Chivu; 4 Zanetti, 19 Cambiasso, 14 Kharja; 29 Coutinho; 7 Pazzini, 9 Eto'o.

Fiorentina: 84 Boruc; 29 De Silvestri, 5 Gamberini, 14 Natali, 23 Pasqual; 85 Behrami, 21 D'Agostino, 18 Montolivo; 24 Cerci, 11 Gilardino, 6 Vargas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement