Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serie A Superthread 2011/2012

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

So yesterday was kind of nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Results so far this weekend:
    Sat 07/05/11
    Palermo 2 - 1 Bari
    Roma 0 - 0 Milan
    Sun 08/05/11
    Brescia 1 - 2 Catania
    Cagliari 0 - 2 Cesena
    Udinese 2 - 1 Lazio
    Bologna 0 - 0 Parma
    Inter 3 - 1 Fiorentina
    Lecce 2 - 1 Napoli
    Brescia have been relegated leaving only one more team to join them and Bari in Serie B next season but Lecce and Cesena got very important wins today meaning Samp really need a win tonight in the derby against Genoa because they have two difficult games against Palermo and Roma while Lecce should get a win against Bari next week. Udinese's win against Lazio puts them in 4th meaning if Juve win tomorrow night there will only be 3 points 4th and 7th and there should be a real battle for the final CL position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

This Juve team isn't ready for Champions League at present, I'd settle for Winning the Europa League next season:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Feck the Europa League. I'd rather go out in the first round of it and finish third in Serie A.

I think we'll be a 3rd place team for the next 3-5 years anyway, we have to go out and try to win every competition that we enter. No point in having a defeatist attitude when we do realistically have a chance of winning the EL.

We need a trophy ASAP.

dizzywizlw wrote: »
    I think we'll be a 3rd place team for the next 3-5 years anyway, we have to go out and try to win every competition that we enter. No point in having a defeatist attitude when we do realistically have a chance of winning the EL.

We need a trophy ASAP.

There's so many matches in the EL that if you're going to get to the final, it's like playing two season in one. There's no way we'll have a good enough squad next season to do that and improve on this season in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Pants result for Lazio today but im happy with the season in general.

I'd be inclined to disagree about the squad until the transfer window closes but even with just 3 or 4 signings the team should be able to both Finnish 3rd and win the EL. Of course this depends on injuries and smart management, if we gave youth players more of a chance in the early stages things could be better.

I'm glad Udinese are back up to fourth. If Juve can't make it, I want Udinese to have a go at the CL.

I was cursing at the tv when Genoa scored their 97th minute winner against Sampdoria. Samp look to be down and out now. Garrone really fúcked up by selling Pazzini and Cassano in January. There'll be some decent players up for grabs who won't want to play in Serie B. Ziegler, Poli, Guberti, Curci.

• Advertisement

I'm glad Udinese are back up to fourth. If Juve can't make it, I want Udinese to have a go at the CL.
    To be honest I think Roma or Juve would be better off getting 4th because they have the experience of playing in Europe and have bigger squads than Lazio or Udinese who I think will struggle in the league next season if they get CL football.
    I was cursing at the tv when Genoa scored their 97th minute winner against Sampdoria. Samp look to be down and out now. Garrone really fúcked up by selling Pazzini and Cassano in January. There'll be some decent players up for grabs who won't want to play in Serie B. Ziegler, Poli, Guberti, Curci.
    I was the same myself, I like Samp and want them to stay up but it will be very difficult from the position they are in now. I wouldn't be opposed to Inter signing Zeigler(is he available on a Bosman anyway?) who would be a decent option at left back considering we need one anyway and Poli, we need to get a couple of young midfielders in and he has looked decent whenever I've seen him.

Speaking of transfers it looks like Milan have Mexes and Taiwo signed up for next season, Good signings especially when you consider they are both free.

Yeah, Ziegler is on a Bosman.

Juve just surrendered a 2 goal lead to Chievo in the space of 60 seconds, a mixture of poor positioning and complacency that is the hallmarks of Delneri's Juventus. Motta is crap

Bunch of Bottlers

I would like to see DelNeri stay but dammit if he hasn't signed his own death warrant, no really his fault tonight but in front of a capacity crowd and the club president he showed A) his lack of leadership skills and B) how poor his positional drilling is.

Should have started Brazzo at right back

I knew the equaliser was coming as soon as Chievo scored their first. Juve's defence is unbelievebly fcuking bad. Krasic, Pepe and Aquilani useless as usual.

Well at least you won't have to worry about Juve over-exerting themselves in europe :D

Yeah, if Palermo make it to the cup final, Juve could well be out of Europe altogether. Embarrassing, but it could help our league form next season... maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The only thing more embarrassing than Juve last night was the Chievo player who panicked his shot for 2-3.

The Juventus GM has commented (I think, I don't speak Italian) about what went wrong, in short;

The team lacks balance and character - AKA the players are rubbish and bottlers

We will address this in the transfer market- We won't do anything in the transfer market

We have our ideas on training and preparing which we will look to for the future- Delneri is probably sacked, but we can't sack him until we find somebody worse

tl;dr
    Poor players,poor coach,poor tactics and preperation

I think a few million Juventus fans could have told him thank about 9 months ago.:rolleyes:

The Coppa Italia semi-final 2nd leg between Inter and Roma kicks off in about 25 mins, line ups are:
    Inter: 1 Julio Cesar; 13 Maicon, 6 Lucio, 26 Chivu, 55 Nagatomo; 19 Cambiasso, 17 Mariga; 4 Zanetti, 14 Kharja, 9 Eto'o; 7 Pazzini
    Bench: 12 Castellazzi, 8 Thiago Motta, 20 Obi, 22 Milito, 23 Materazzi, 27 Pandev, 29 Coutinho

Roma: 32 Doni; 77 Cassetti, 29 N. Burdisso, 4 Juan, 17 Riise; 7 Pizarro, 16 De Rossi; 20 Perrotta, 30 Simplicio, 94 Menez; 22 Borriello
    Bench: 1 Lobont, 3 Castellini, 9 Vucinic, 15 Loria, 23 Greco, 47 Caprari, 87 Rosi

Just finished 1-1 on the night with Inter going through to the final 2-1 on aggregate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Atalanta Bergamo promoted to Serie A.
    Congrats :D

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Atalanta Bergamo promoted to Serie A.
    Congrats :D

Apparently Cristiano Doni is still playing for them? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Has Pirlo joined Juventus?

Paully D wrote: »
    Has Pirlo joined Juventus?

No, and I hope he doesn't. Juve should be building for the future, not signing an injury prone 33 year old master of the square ball. If he signs for no transfer fee his wages will be 3-4m per year - madness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭CharlesHaughey

IMO Cavani should move to Real Madrid, £30,000,000 would be enough IMO.

No, and I hope he doesn't. Juve should be building for the future, not signing an injury prone 33 year old master of the square ball. If he signs for no transfer fee his wages will be 3-4m per year - madness!

Pirlo is head a shoulders above anyone on the current Juve midfield and one of the best passers of the ball on the planet, he is one of the most creative players in europe and would be a massive step up in class over Aqualani, he also doesn't turn 32 until the 19th of this month.

His wages wouldn't be nearly as much as you think, he is willing to take a wagecut at Milan but Max want's to play a holding midfielder infront of the back 4 and wants to play KPB on the left of the mid 3 with Lmela, Ganso or Cassano behind th front two next season, with 1 of Flamini, Gattauso, Ambrosini, Strasser or Ambrosini playing the other midfield position.

Milan will play a more diamond formation next year, like when Carlo first took over.

Like this, with the fullbacks providing width, like Cafu and Serginho/Jnaku used to.

Abbiati

Abate----Nesta/Mexes----Thaigo Silva
    Taiwo

Ambrosini/Flamin/Gattausoi

Gattauso/Strasser/Ambrosini----KPB

Cassano/XXX

Ibra
    Robinho/Pato

IMO Cavani should move to Real Madrid, £30,000,000 would be enough IMO.

I would bet you a million euros that Cavanni will not leave Napoli this summer.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Pirlo is head a shoulders above anyone on the current Juve midfield and one of the best passers of the ball on the planet, he is one of the most creative players in europe and would be a massive step up in class over Aqualani, he also doesn't turn 32 until the 19th of this month.

His wages wouldn't be nearly as much as you think, he is willing to take a wagecut at Milan but Max want's to play a holding midfielder infront of the back 4 and wan't to play KPB on the left of the mid 3 with LLmala, Ganso or Cassano behind th front two next season, with 1 of Flamini, Gattauso, Ambrosini, Strasser or Ambrosini playing the other midfield position.

-

I stand corrected on his age :o I still maintain he would be money wasted at Juventus - though I agree he is superior to Aquillani, Pepe and co, but that's not to say much. 3m a year for 4 years would buy another Martinez ;)

He has played what, 10 games in the last season? What's his injury?

I stand corrected on his age :o I still maintain he would be money wasted at Juventus - though I agree he is superior to Aquillani, Pepe and co, but that's not to say much. 3m a year for 4 years would buy another Martinez ;)

He has played what, 10 games in the last season? What's his injury?

knee, and then ankle and then some muscular problems in a row, his worst season injury wise ever I think.

the 6 full league games he did play, he was quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

knee, and then ankle and then some muscular problems in a row, his worst season injury wise ever I think.

the 6 full league games he did play, he was quite good.

And his injuries are most likely just going to get longer and more frequent. I'd take him on a season loan max.

• Advertisement

Pirlo would be a step in the wrong direction for Juve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

The only thing more embarrassing than Juve last night was the Chievo player who panicked his shot for 2-3.
    Is the miss on Youtube? It was absolutely incredible. Yer man who managed to square the ball must be completely furious that the chance was missed.

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    And his injuries are most likely just going to get longer and more frequent. I'd take him on a season loan max.

Or, maybe a 2 year contract, seeing as he's free...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Apparently Cristiano Doni is still playing for them? :eek:

Yep, 38 now.
    He's the captain :eek:

edit: Siena also promoted, third spot will go between Novara and Varese.

Considering that Juves financial position has dropped over €50,000,000 in the space of a year signing another geriatric is the least of our concerns. Keeping Zanetti would have been so much easier, just as injury prone, but cheaper.

Michel Bastos has said that he wants to join Juve but what the christ is the point if the team needs 3 new defenders and by the looks of it two new strikers and a few squad players, I mean just look and the players that aren't good enough at all;

Grosso,Motta,Grygera,Barzagli,Martinez,Pepe (squad player maybe), Aquilani (good enough but not at that price),Toni,Amauri,Iaquinta.

Ten players. Ten. Admittedly only two or three first team players need to be brought in but none of the above save Aquilani and Pepe should ever be allowed on the pitch again.

Team is screwed on the pitch and in the bank, somehow I think that Pirlo signing won't be too big of an issue.

Don't worry though, Tiago is coming back :)

Juve really aren't "screwed in the bank". The new stadium will pay for itself.

Gives you lot a massive advantage over the rest of the league.

Given what we need to spend and what we can conceivably spend, we are indeed.

The new stadium will at best offset the T.V. rights money that was lost recently, we need to spend big, without help from the parent company we won't be able too. Needing a bailout to support your business functioning is pretty much being screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Ledesma pulling the strings for Lazio against Genoa.. Has made three wonderful assists. If they do miss out on the final CL spot, Im sure there will be a few clubs sniffing around the likes of Hernanes and Ledesma..

• Advertisement

Gives you lot a massive advantage over the rest of the league.
    In the long run, yeah definitely.
    dizzywizlw wrote: »
    Given what we need to spend and what we can conceivably spend, we are indeed.

The new stadium will at best offset the T.V. rights money that was lost recently, we need to spend big, without help from the parent company we won't be able too. Needing a bailout to support your business functioning is pretty much being screwed.
    It's a football club, not a regular business. Juve's in a much healthier position than a lot of clubs.
    Fowler87 wrote: »
    Ledesma pulling the strings for Lazio against Genoa.. Has made three wonderful assists. If they do miss out on the final CL spot, Im sure there will be a few clubs sniffing around the likes of Hernanes and Ledesma..
    I'd rather sign Ledesma than Pirlo.

Football clubs operate along the same financial rules as every other business, some firms get massive amount of funding from their owners independent of the nature of the business, the Exorr recapitalisation would be evidence to the fact that Juventus, in order to operate according to the long term business plan needed a lot of money.

I'm not saying we're in danger of bankruptcy but it has to be considered the effect such continuing failure will have on the business and Serie A as a whole.

EDIT: Giovinco comes back to haunt Juve, poetic justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

Sampdoria: from Champions League to Serie B all in the space of 9 months.

Couldnt have happened to a nicer team :D

Easily the best squad to ever be relegated from Serie A on the field.

Hope they bounce back.
    Selling Pazzo in january was madness.

Giorgio Chiellini telling it like it is:

"We have never been a team. At most between November and December we’d found a balance, but then something broke in our home defeat to Parma and we were unable to fix it. Today we took completely the wrong approach. We can look at individual incidents, but the truth is that Parma thoroughly deserved their victory."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

What's wrong with Samp?? :confused:

Huge mistake selling Pazzini when they did especially right after Cassano. But even then their collapse was shocking.

Hope they come straight back up. I wonder will Palombo still be there, as loyal as he is and all.

• Advertisement

no chance of any of their big names staying.

Palombo will be elsewhere come august 31st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

Corholio wrote: »
    What's wrong with Samp?? :confused:

Ah Samp have it with Bologna cos we scored a last minute penalty against them in 1999 to send them down to B. They were upset that we didnt let them win. Since then there was been lots of animosity between the tifoserie.

They got revenge when they pretty much sent us down (along with Moggi) in the last match of 2005. So now Bologna are quite content that they went back down.

Pavel Nedved laying the verbal smackdown :cool:

I'm as angry as all the supporters are. I'm very angry because the teams results are really disappointing. We must work hard for a better future for this football club.
    I think Juventus wasn't a team this season. We lacked the mentality of a team. We were a team more in the newspapers than we were on the pitch. We lacked the unity.
    There were many young and new players this season and a lot of old ones who lost what once was a Juventus characteristic. The new players haven't understood what it means to play for Juventus and the old ones forgot what it means, so at the end we all know the results,
    I know it was his (Conte's) fate to become a manager because, if I remember well, he always was a great player. He was the pillar of the Juventus I played for, we always counted on him. Becoming a great manager was his fate and I wish him a great career.

God Bless that man :o

Conte has done absolutely nothing as a manager to warrant getting the Juve job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Conte has done absolutely nothing as a manager to warrant getting the Juve job.

I hope Nedved isn't implying that. It'll be another Ferrara episode.

• Advertisement
Advertisement