Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serie A Superthread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Half time now, Inter got the equalizer from an awful bit of play at the back from Roma which left Pandev with an easy goal. It has been a good game so far and I would say that 1-1 is fair at the moment. Hopefully we get to see Adriano and Coutinho in the second half.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

1-1 half time in the SuperCoppa Italia.

Riise put Roma in front. Pandev equalised for Inter, a truly terrible pass by Juan back to his keeper, quite a stupid goal to concede.

It has finished 3-1 to Inter, Eto'o getting 2 with the 3rd Inter goal coming from more bad defending by Roma. It was a good game, both teams had a lot of good chances and there could have been more goals in it, Inter also had a goal wrongfully disallowed. Can't wait for the season to start next week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

Another trophy for Inter and Rafa's 1st in Italy, hopefully there will be many more to come this season for Inter.

Forza Inter!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Stream of the Berlusconi Trophy here

Starting lineups.

MILAN: Abbiati; Bonera, Papastathopoulos, Thiago Silva, Antonini; Ambrosini, Pirlo, Seedorf, Oduamadi, Borriello, Ronaldinho.

JUVENTUS: Manninger; Grygera, Legrottaglie, Chiellini, De Ceglie; Pepe, Marchisio, Felipe Melo, Martinez; Trezeguet, Del Piero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

x610.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

Poor poor match. The worst thing is listening to the Setanta commentator banging on about the quality of the two sides! He talked about the creativity that Del Piero always brings to the team. Has he watched Juve play in the last three years??

The two teams on show tonight were really bad. I cant see either of them doing much this year.

Ronaldinho playing behind Pato and Ibro?

*dribble*

Seaneh wrote: »
    Ronaldinho playing behind Pato and Ibro?

*dribble*
    That would be quite scary actually, I would love to see Ibra back in the Serie A, I would prefer if he rejoined Inter though. Milan still have weaknesses, but with Ibra I could see them putting in a strong challenge for the title and combined with my lack of faith in Rafa, I think they would have a great chance of winning it.

After that, if we could pull a few fullback out of somewhere we'd be doing pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

With Barce's reported debt and AC Milans inability to stump up even 5mil for Boateng this season I can't see a transfer happening tbh.

sprinkles wrote: »
    With Barce's reported debt and AC Milans inability to stump up even 5mil for Boateng this season I can't see a transfer happening tbh.

Silvio Berlusconi has money. He's just being a tight fisted git.

If the vice president is saying something can happen, and Berlusconi said earlier in the summer that he was willing to spend big money on the right player, then I think there is a very good chance it will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Seaneh wrote: »
    Silvio Berlusconi has money. He's just being a tight fisted git.

If the vice president is saying something can happen, and Berlusconi said earlier in the summer that he was willing to spend big money on the right player, then I think there is a very good chance it will happen.

I'd say Milan fans are crossing their fingers for a general election. The need for a few votes would loosen up Silvio's wallet :D

carlop wrote: »
    I'd say Milan fans are crossing their fingers for a general election. The need for a few votes would loosen up Silvio's wallet :D

In the past elections have gotten us Rui Costa and Nesta (among others). One can only pray!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

Can we have predictions for top 4 and bottom 4 this season? My picks are:

1. Inter
    2. Roma
    3. Juve
    4. Genoa

17. Chievo
    18. Brescia
    19. Lecce
    20. Cesena

What say you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

1. Milan
    2. Inter
    3. Roma
    4. Juve

17. Chievo
    18. Bologna
    19. Lecce
    20. Cesena

My top 4 would be as things stand transfer wise and would change if Milan sign Ibra and Roma sing Burdisso as I feel these would significantly improve the respective teams chances.

1. Inter
    2. Milan
    3. Juve
    4. Napoli

17. Bologna
    18. Lecce
    19. Brescia
    20. Cesena

Rumours in Italy say the Diego to Wolfsburg deal practically done (offer is
    rumoured to be around €20 million) and Trezeguet very close to joining Hercules Alicante.

The latest reports are that Marotta has reached an agreement with Udinese for the transfer of ANTONIO DI NATALE to Juventus for €7 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

rumoured to be around €20 million)
    My first thought when the Aquilani move was confirmed was that Diego would be out the door.

• Advertisement

The rumour with Ibrahimovic is that Barcelona will cover 3/5th of his wages in an attempt to get rid of him.

rumoured to be around €20 million) and Trezeguet very close to joining Hercules Alicante.

The latest reports are that Marotta has reached an agreement with Udinese for the transfer of ANTONIO DI NATALE to Juventus for €7 million.

The Di Natale deal is off (if it was ever on, that is).

Jonathan Zebina has turned down Ligue 1 new boys AC Arles-Avignon.

The Di Natale deal is off (if it was ever on, that is).

Thank goodness for that. €7m for a 33 year old. Nuts.

Strong rumours tonight - Milan

Ibra

Strong rumours in Italy tonight.

Milan, Ibra (€40m), Robinho (unknown), to be announced tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Gazzetta reporting Quagliarella to Juve as nearly a done deal. As a Napoli fan I ain't a happy camper.

• Advertisement

carlop wrote: »
    Gazzetta reporting Quagliarella to Juve as nearly a done deal. As a Napoli fan I ain't a happy camper.

As a Juve fan I ain't happy either.

Del Piero goal from last night. It's like going back to 1997!

This weekends fixtures:
    Saturday, August 28
    17:00 Udinese v Genoa
    19:45 AS Roma v Cesena(Live on ESPN)
    Sunday, August 29
    17:00 Bari v Juventus
    19:45 Milan v Lecce
    19:45 Chievo v Catania
    19:45 Fiorentina v Napoli (Live on ESPN)
    19:45 Palermo v Cagliari
    19:45 Parma v Brescia
    19:45 Sampdoria v Lazio
    Monday, August 30
    19:45 Bologna v Internazionale(Live on ESPN)
    It's great to have calcio back and there should be some good games in there, Udinese v Genoa and Fiorentina v Napoli being the pick of the week in my opinion. I can't see anything but wins for Roma and Milan but I think Juve could drop points at Bari and can see Inter having a tough time against Bologna.

Really looking forward to Fiorentina v Napoli.

It'll be interesting to see how Juve's new team does in a tough away match.

Milan and Inter should win comfortably.

Roma finally stump up the money for Burdisso.
    It is now official that Roma have signed Nicolas Burdisso from Inter for €8m, ending one of the summer transfer sagas.
    The defender spent last season on loan at the Olimpico and made it abundantly clear he wanted to make the move permanent.

However, the Nerazzurri would not lower their price-tag and attempted to sell him to Juventus.

The turning point came this week when Roma pledged to match Juve’s bid, so Burdisso’s own wishes had to be taken into consideration.

This morning Roma officially announced the arrival of Burdisso for €8m, to be paid in three instalments.

He signed a four-year contract worth €3.8m for this season and €4.5m for every term after that.

Burdisso is therefore reunited at Roma with little brother Guillermo, who was signed from Rosario Central over the summer.
    He was one of their most important players last year imo, so I think it is a very important signing for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

dor83 wrote: »
    Roma finally stump up the money for Burdisso.He was one of their most important players last year imo, so I think it is a very important signing for them.

Absolutely delighted that Nicolás has finally been signed.

We're back on tonight! Roma vs Cesena. 2-0 win will do me perfectly fine.

• Advertisement

Hercules Alicante has made official the signing of David TREZEGUET. The player will join on a two-year contract (he had just one year left
    at Juve) on a €1.5 million a year contract. He had a €4.5 million net wage at Juve .... and for this season Juve will pay Trezeguet the €3 million difference

RichTea wrote: »
    Absolutely delighted that Nicolás has finally been signed.

We're back on tonight! Roma vs Cesena. 2-0 win will do me perfectly fine.

At a reported 4.5m per annum he is vastly overpaid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Anyone see this ?
    Benitez: Changing Mourinho's ways will take time

August 28, 2010

Rafa Benitez insisted he needs more time to make his mark on Inter Milan after the reigning European champions slumped to a 2-0 defeat against Atletico Madrid in the UEFA Super Cup.

The former Liverpool manager admitted Inter were below par against the Europa League winners, who triumphed through goals by former Arsenal forward Jose Antonio Reyes and Argentina striker Sergio Aguero.

Benitez said he wants to change some of the things put in place by his predecessor Jose Mourinho but needs time to do so.

"Some things we will need to do in the same way as we did before and change the way we do some other things,'' said Benitez. "It's clear we will need some time but how long you never know. We have not had much time since the World Cup with the players. We were not at the level we needed to be against a team that was physically stronger and very good tactically.''

Benitez added that Inter's Champions League group with Tottenham, Werder Bremen and FC Twente was potentially dangerous.

"It's a really difficult group,'' he said after the match in Monaco's Stade Louis II. "There is not a big difference between the teams and that can be dangerous. This will be very tough.''

Reyes was named man of the match and expressed his delight at being the matchwinner.

"It was a tremendous joy,'' he said. "To score a goal in the final is every player's dream.''

Thoughts ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

new manager at the club, needs a bit of time to get things ticking like he'd want after a busy summer for the majority of his players. i don't get what there is to have 'thoughts' on? nice to see you're keeping abreast of the rafa situation though.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    new manager at the club, needs a bit of time to get things ticking like he'd want after a busy summer for the majority of his players. i don't get what there is to have 'thoughts' on?
    Completely agree, I don't like Rafa and think he will be gone before next season but there is nothing wrong with what he said, any new manager needs time to get the team playing the way he wants and the world cup hasn't helped that.

new manager at the club, needs a bit of time to get things ticking like he'd want after a busy summer for the majority of his players. i don't get what there is to have 'thoughts' on? nice to see you're keeping abreast of the rafa situation though.

I would think that given the fact that Inter won the treble last year they were probably doing something right. Trying to change a lot will inevitably lead to failure.

did he say he was planning on radically changing the way things were being run at the club? that there was a lot of changes to be made? Or are you just carrying on with your pettiness toward the man?

did he say he was planning on radically changing the way things were being run at the club? that there was a lot of changes to be made? Or are you just carrying on with your pettiness toward the man?

Did you read the article ?

He'll be found out this year Alan, and you'll have to destroy the shrine in your bedroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

You should be glad he'll spend most of his time in here doing his party piece than in the Liverpool thread this season anyway.

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    Did you read the article ?

He'll be found out this year Alan, and you'll have to destroy the shrine in your bedroom.
    Course i did. I'd worry you didn't if you think there's anything worthy of discussion in it. Carry on wit your Rafa voodoo doll though

• Advertisement

Course i did. I'd worry you didn't if you think there's anything worthy of discussion in it. Carry on wit your Rafa voodoo doll though

I don't need to wish him bad luck. The man is his own worst enemy.

ok Rosco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

30 minutes in and Cesena holding their own at Roma. Pizzaro is such a tidy player. Very Scholes/Xavi-esque.

Roma would want to wake up. This is one of those must win games.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

0-0 in the Roma game.

A lot of possession and getting themselves into decent positions for Roma but not many clearcut chances so far.

The deal should be officially announced in the next few minutes - hours at the most - on the websites of both clubs, but for all intents and
    purposes, ZLATAN IBRAHIMOVIC IS A MILAN PLAYER.

The player will reportedly get somewhere between €8.5-€9 million a year for 4 years. Milan will reportedly pay around €40 million for the player,
    but this is not confirmed yet. Still to be seen is whether Milan will buy him straight away (so they start paying the first installment straight away) or whether they get him with the latest trend of "loan with option to buy".

Making space for Ibra will be Huntelaar who will
    then join Schalke for around €12 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

That was an enjoyable first half. I like the look of Cesena's full backs Nagatomo & Schelotto. They're getting forward a lot and making good, quick counter attacks when a Roma attack breaks down. Giaccherini showing some good footwork as well.

Cesena look like they could score tonight. Will be interesting now to see how this one develops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The deal should be officially announced in the next few minutes - hours at the most - on the websites of both clubs, but for all intents and
    purposes, ZLATAN IBRAHIMOVIC IS A MILAN PLAYER.

The player will reportedly get somewhere between €8.5-€9 million a year for 4 years. Milan will reportedly pay around €40 million for the player,
    but this is not confirmed yet. Still to be seen is whether Milan will buy him straight away (so they start paying the first installment straight away) or whether they get him with the latest trend of "loan with option to buy".

Making space for Ibra will be Huntelaar who will
    then join Schalke for around €12 million

24 mill euro according to RTE, just announced it on the Premiership show there.

Shame Stephen Appiah is made of glass, he shows genuine class at times.

• Advertisement

Ibra to Milan is official.
    Milan have officially signed Zlatan Ibrahimovic on a free loan from Barcelona with an option to buy for €24m. "I'm very happy."
    “A.C. Milan announce the signing from F.C. Barcelona of Zlatan Ibrahimovic, on a free loan with the option to buy for €24m,” read a statement.

“The Swedish champion will undergo his medical on Monday morning, after which he’ll sign the contract tying him to the Rossoneri for four years.”

It is quite a coup for Milan to have captured Ibrahimovic on a free loan deal just 12 months after Barcelona paid effectively €66m to take him from Inter.

The Spaniards reportedly paid €46m cash plus Samuel Eto’o, who was valued at €20m.

“I’m very happy and the situation wasn’t easy,” said Ibra. “Why did I choose Milan? Because they are one of the strongest clubs in the world, with a great tradition.

“Ronaldinho and Alexandre Pato represent a fantastic strike force, now it is up to us. The Milan fans will certainly have fun.”

However, the return to San Siro will not sit well with the Inter supporters he walked out on a year ago, missing the Treble campaign.

“I don’t think they care about me now that they have won everything. As for me, I want to win the Champions League, the Scudetto and everything it’s possible to win with Milan.”

The former Juventus striker had a deal to join Milan in 2006, but hesitated when the Calciopoli scandal forced them to reach the Champions League via the preliminary round. He eventually chose rivals Inter instead.

“It is unusual that it took Ibrahimovic until the age of 28 to reach the club that for many years has been perfectly suited to his talents,” read the official Milan website.

“That summer of 2006. Without going back over the shocking injustice and terrible bitterness of that time, the night of August 9 made the difference.

“That evening after a 1-0 victory over Red Star Belgrade in the Champions League preliminary round, Milan were ready to make the final push for Ibra.

“But Gabriele Oriali did very well in getting there before anyone else. Now we’re up to date with today. Welcome world class striker! We’d been waiting for you a long time.”

Advertisement