Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serie A Superthread 2011/2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Calcio is bunched if this round of matches is anything to go by.

The one thing that Italy excelled at down the years has disappeared. Defending used to be a wonderful art in Italian football, now it's a calamity, an exercise in ineptitude, as the coaches and clubs seek to follow the English model of attacking football. Sadly, it seems the first thing they've achieved is their lack of defensive nous.

In summary, some wondeful goals, but all-round naive defending.

Oh, I am PMing a mod for a 2011/12 thread.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Very entertaining matchday 1. Both Milan games were very entertaining and end to end, just a shame it lost me a good bit of money :pac:

Watched the first 70 mins mins of the Roma game yesterday, still not clicking yet. I know a lot of new players are bedding in and that'll take some time. Sooner Lamela is fit, the better for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Oh, I am PMing a mod for a 2011/12 thread.

there already is a 2011-12 thread, it's a few pages back.

I've noticed the bad defending too but being honest i'd much rather see incisive attacking than good defending any day. Italian sides have hugely under-performed in Europe for the last decade. I would class Italian teams as better at the art of defending than English ones, yet 4 English teams have made the CL final in recent years, two of them winning it. Italian sides have clearly lacked punch up front, so i wont complain if teams are taking a more offensive minded approach to remedy this problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

ingaggiojuventus.png

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Are those the yearly salaries? Has DP got shares or what kind of deal is he on?

grenache wrote: »
    there already is a 2011-12 thread, it's a few pages back.

So why is this not locked and the other used? :confused:

Are those the yearly salaries? Has DP got shares or what kind of deal is he on?

Yes, yearly.

Del Piero has taken several pay cuts over the last 5 or 6 years. As you can see he's now earning less than several fringe players are.

It's infuriating that Amauri is on €4 million a year.

Inter Vs Roma on ESPN at 7.45.

Looking forward to it.

A defeat for Inter today and Gasperi will be under a little bit of pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Inter v Roma kicks off in about 40 mins, should be a good game and expect a few goals. Line-ups are:

Inter: 1 Julio Cesar; 6 Lucio, 25 Samuel, 23 Ranocchia, ; 55 Nagatomo, 4 Zanetti, 19 Cambiasso, 10 Sneijder, 20 Obi; 9 Forlan, 22 Milito.
    Bench: 12 Castellazzi, 42 Jonathan, 44 Bianchetti, 77 Muntari, 7 Pazzini, 28 Zarate, 30 Castaignos.

Roma: 24 Stekelenburg; 11 Taddei, 44 Kjaer, 29 Burdisso, 20 Perrotta; 16 De Rossi, 7 Pizarro, 15 Pjanic; 31 Borini, 10 Totti, 9 Osvaldo
    Bench: 1 Lobont, 5 Heinze, 14 Bojan, 19 Gago, 22 Borriello, 77 Cassetti, 87 Rosi.

grenache wrote: »
    A defeat for Inter today and Gasperi will be under a little bit of pressure.

He's already under a little bit of pressure. Lose today and it'll be a lot of pressure.

He's already under a little bit of pressure. Lose today and it'll be a lot of pressure.
    It's very unfair on Gasp to be taking all the blame and be under so much pressure so soon, he was under pressure before the season even started because of his formation. The players have not been giving their best imo and they should take a bit of the blame for the current form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

dor83 wrote: »
    It's very unfair on Gasp to be taking all the blame and be under so much pressure so soon, he was under pressure before the season even started because of his formation. The players have not been giving their best imo and they should take a bit of the blame for the current form.

Its a formation that won't necessariliy get the best out of the players at his disposal though. Even if he tweaked it from a 3-4-3 to a 3-5-2 they'd look a lot better.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Its a formation that won't necessariliy get the best out of the players at his disposal though. Even if he tweaked it from a 3-4-3 to a 3-5-2 they'd look a lot better.
    That's what he's doing tonight, and I do agree that 3 at he back doesn't suit the squad but tonight is only the second league game of the season so at least let him have a few games. He went back to 4 at the back for the CL game and that was no better, as I said, the players need to take some of the blame because they were very poor in both those games and looked like they weren't interested for most of the game on Wednesday night.

Moratti deserves a lot of the blame for hiring a manager known for using 3 at the back when that doesn't suit Inter's squad and it's not what Moratti wants. It would be different if he was patient with Gasperini and gave him time to build a squad he wanted, but Moratti is already putting pressure on Gasperini in the media.

• Advertisement

On another note, Roma are a joke. Taddei and Perotta in defence.

Finished 0-0, I think I jinxed it by saying I expected a few goals. Another poor performance from Inter, the 2nd half was particularly bad, and I expect Gasp to be rightfully criticised for bringing Muntari on for Forlan when Pazzini was on the bench and we needed a goal.

Inter are starting to look very pre-2006-ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Napoli v Milan K.O: 19:45 GMT

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Napoli:[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] De Sanctis; Campagnaro, Cannavaro, Aronica; Maggio, Inler, Gargano, Dossena; Hamsik, Lavezzi; Cavani
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Bench:[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] Rosati, Fernandez, Zuniga, Dzemaili, Santana, Mascara, Pandev

[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Milan:[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] Abbiati; Abate, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Bonera; Nocerino, Van Bommel, Seedorf; Aquilani; Pato, Cassano
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Bench:[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] Amelia, Zambrotta, Emanuelson, Yepes, Antonini, Valoti, El Shaarawy[/FONT]

• Advertisement

1-1 Aquilani and Cavani

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Cavani again 2-1.

I'm not always the biggest fan of Moggi, but this is true (and funny).

"When Inter did not win it [Serie A title], it was because they bought Hakan Sukur and Taribo West, and because they let their best players, [Clarence] Seedorf and [Andrea] Pirlo go to Milan in exchange for [Francesco] Coco.

"Juventus on the other hand bought [Gianluigi] Buffon and [Zinedine] Zidane."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

what a great goal! havent seen one like that in a while

Three brilliantly taken goals from Cavani!!!! Wonderful run from Gargano for the second. So happy for them, and to beat Milan of all teams, who's tifosi hate Napoli the most. It will be a great night in Naples tonight.

Novara v Inter kicks off at 7:45, Zanetti makes his 757th appearance for Inter tonight, overtaking Bergomi's record for most appearances. Line-ups are:

Novara: 1 Ujkani; 15 Dellafiore, 24 Paci, 4 Lisuzzo, 3 Gemiti; 17 Porcari, 23 Radovanovic, 10 Rigoni; 21 Mazzarani; 11 Morimoto, 69 Meggiorini.
    Subs: 31 Fontana, 2 Giorgi, 5 Ludi, 14 Morganella, 18 Marianini, 20 Granoche, 27 Jeda.

Inter: 1 Julio Cesar; 6 Lucio, 26 Chivu, 23 Ranocchia; 4 Zanetti, 19 Cambiasso, 10 Sneijder, 55 Nagatomo; 9 Forlan, 22 Milito, 30 Castaignos.
    Subs: 12 Castellazzi, 7 Pazzini, 20 Obi, 25 Samuel, 28 Zarate, 29 Coutinho, 42 Jonathan.

Gasp need a win tonight, a loss would probably be the last straw. I really can't understand why he isn't using Pazzini, he is probably the best forward at the club yet Gasp seems intent on not using him.

Inter will surely win tonight.

Inter will surely win tonight.
    I wouldn't be so sure, the way we've been playing lately we could lose and with Chivu in the back 3 I'm not confident of the defence improving. Like I said though, failing to win would probably be the end for Gasp.

Huge achievement for Zanetti tonight and to think he should easily play another 50-60 games over the next couple of seasons.
    152498-500.jpg

1-0 to Novara, Meggiorini with the goal and it is well deserved for Novara, Inter have been very poor again.

Ranocchia off and a pen for Novara and it's 2-0 with 5 mins to go. Gasp will surely be gone.

EDIT: Cambiasso gets one back but only 1 min left.

EDIT AGAIN: 3-1 to Novara.

• Advertisement

Baggio has been linked with taking over.

They'd be much better off going with someone like Ranieri or Delio Rossi than Figo or Baggio.

Lothar Matthaus is available at the moment too.

Gasp is surely a goner now.

Matthaus is not the way forward IMHO.

Moratti: "Gasperini doesn't have control of the team and it is obvious that we saw that tonight."

Moratti adds that Inter will let the night pass before evaluating Gasperini's position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wow! Makes Arsenals travails look like a mere hiccup. As I'm not a follower of the Italian leagues I can say I'd never even heard of Novera. I see they were lurking in the third division until 2 years back, have they got money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Meltdown at Inter. Financially they're in deep sh*t as well. Could be going back to the bad old days.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Meltdown at Inter. Financially they're in deep sh*t as well. Could be going back to the bad old days.

Yeah, but there is some real quality still in that team. They shouldn't be performing at this level. The players look like they have no confidence.

mike65 wrote: »
    Wow! Makes Arsenals travails look like a mere hiccup. As I'm not a follower of the Italian leagues I can say I'd never even heard of Novera. I see they were lurking in the third division until 2 years back, have they got money?

Don't think so. But they have in their advantage the fact they play all their home games on a plastic pitch. Only club in Seria A to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Right lads, I'm moving to Bologna next month. But will be working a lot in Cesena.

Who am I going to follow?

Don't think so. But they have in their advantage the fact they play all their home games on a plastic pitch. Only club in Seria A to do so.

It's not exactly a plastic pitch and other teams in Serie A have the same type as them.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Right lads, I'm moving to Bologna next month. But will be working a lot in Cesena.

You could fit right in and support one of the big two!

I'd say Cesena. It's likely to be more exciting.

You should try going to at least one home game of both though.

Cesena... being the obvious answer :D

On a side note, lucky bugger. You'll be nearby Rimini and San Marino*. 2 of my favourite places that I've been to when in Italy.

It's not exactly a plastic pitch and other teams in Serie A have the same type as them.

Not what I was told in the gambling forum anyways. But I'll take your word for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Cesena. Purely because Bologna's ground has a running track around it.

Not what I was told in the gambling forum anyways. But I'll take your word for it.

It's one of those modern synthetic pitches with real grass woven into a synthetic base.

Cesena and Novara both have them in Serie A. There has been talk of one being put in in San Siro (where the pitch is always rubbish).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Thanks for all your replies, looks like Cesena get the vote!

I had no idea I'd be so close to San Marino either. Must check that out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

But they have in their advantage the fact they play all their home games on a plastic pitch. Only club in Seria A to do so.

It's not plastic and many top teams around the world use it now. Its 75% grass, 25% synthetic with a synthetic base layer. The result is a much quicker draining pitch that's also a lot harder wearing.

Croke Park also has the exact same pitch as does the Juventus Arena, Ajax Arena, Stamford Bridge, Emirates etc... the SanSiro is also due to have it soon. Moscow and Drogheda now there is a completely synthetic surface.

On last night Inter were absolutely poison. You could see Wes has lost all interest playing for Gas when he was taken off.

iregk wrote: »
    Croke Park also has the exact same pitch as does the Juventus Arena, Ajax Arena, Stamford Bridge, Emirates etc... the SanSiro is also due to have it soon. Moscow and Drogheda now there is a completely synthetic surface.

It's Dundalk who have the bouncy castle pitch.

So who for Inter now?

Benitez? Does he have a job?

No top coach will want to touch the job in my opinion. Maybe Figo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

It's Dundalk who have the bouncy castle pitch.

Crap sorry you're correct. I did of course mean Dundalk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement