Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serie A Superthread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Great play by Nagatomo there. Alvarez has played well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Great play by Nagatomo there. Alvarez has played well.
    Yeah, I like both players but I think we need to sign a left back and put Naga as a winger because his defensive play is not the best. Alvarez is better playing in Sneijders position, like he did in the 2nd half tonight, but he probably won't get a look in when Sneijder comes back. I actually think we need to sell Sneijder at this stage, this is probably the last chance we have to get decent money for him and with his injuries he has missed so much time that I'd rather have Alvarez or Coutinho given time to develop than have him in and out of the team. The money saved in wages would also pay for 3 or 4 other players and with FFP coming in we don't need to be spending that much on one player who misses half the season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

6-1, 4-1 and 2-0 on a wednesday night....

Yeah, Serie A is boring...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Now that result at the San Paolo had been coming for a while. Should have done it Sunday night. Some magnificent goals, in particular Cavani's second and Gargano's rocket. Delighted that Pandev is finally beginning to blend in and find the net more regularly. Genoa were awful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

Seaneh wrote: »

Not having a go or anything...
    ...but when is the last time you heard someone say that? It's a bit cliche really

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

1mcampo1 wrote: »
    ...but when is the last time you heard someone say that? It's a bit cliche really

Not that long ago, when there was 1 weekend with very few goals scored.

1mcampo1 wrote: »

People still go on about how defensive Serie A is all the time.

Seems like Genoa's president had seen enough after the humiliation in Naples.....

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/22122011/58/serie-genoa-sack-malesani-appoint-marino.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

grenache wrote: »
    Seems like Genoa's president had seen enough after the humiliation in Naples.....

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/22122011/58/serie-genoa-sack-malesani-appoint-marino.html

I love this quote from Preziosi after the 6-1 loss
    This is football, not tennis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »
    My friend in Naples had been thinking along the same lines, it's an interesting theory, but I don't think there any substance to it. Hamsik's wife actually got her car back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

mike65 wrote: »

Funnily enough i was at the Roma v Napoli game two years ago when the away fans ransacked the train. Was really bizarre, there were about 50 away fans in the ground till about the 50th minute or so, then they poured in in their thousands (they had been held back by the poice), seemed a fairly "feisty" bunch to say the least. I wouldn't be too surprised that those high up now want a slice of the action, wonder if it could lead to some of the players who had been targeted trying to jump ship.

to be honest i don't blame them for going crazy every so often, it's in their nature, especially when the lads are doing this on the field....

Martin Caceres and Marco Borriello both look certain to sign for Juve when the window opens.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Wikipedia already has Boriello as a Juve player (loan) saying he signed in January 2012.

• Advertisement

Wikipedia already has Boriello as a Juve player (loan) saying he signed in January 2012.
    I think it will be a "loan" until the end of the season and then he'll be signed permanently.

David Pizarro is meant to be joining Juve for free. He'd be a very good sub for Pirlo.

Not a huge fan of Boriello to be honest but its only a loan deal for the moment so wait and see how he does I suppose.

Not a huge fan of Boriello to be honest but its only a loan deal for the moment so wait and see how he does I suppose.
    I'm almost certain he will be signed permanently, like the "loans" last seaon.

Inter v Parma kicks off in about 15 mins and after Lazio's loss to Siena earlier, it gives Inter the chance to close in to only 1 point behind them in 4th. Line-ups are:

Inter: 1 Julio Cesar; 13 Maicon, 6 Lucio, 25 Samuel, 55 Nagatomo; 4 Zanetti, 8 Thiago Motta, 19 Cambiasso; 11 Alvarez; 7 Pazzini, 22 Milito.
    Subs: 12 Castellazzi, 18 Poli, 23 Ranocchia, 28 Zarate, 29 Coutinho, 30 Castaignos, 37 Faraoni.

Parma: 83 Mirante; 5 Zaccardo, 29 Paletta, 13 Brandao,18 Gobbi; 7 Biabiany, 4 Morrone, 8 Galloppa, 23 Modesto; 10 Giovinco, 11 Floccari.
    Subs: 1 Pavarini, 14 Pereira, 22 Palladino, 24 Musacci, 33 Santacroce, 80 Valiani, 99 Pellè.

Parma look hopeless. Great strike by Faraoni.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Parma made Inter look good, and they could still have scored a couple themselves if they had finished their chances. Milito played well, probably his best game in over a year, and Alvarez was decent too, it's a shame he will be dropped when Sneijder comes back. It was better from Inter but we'll have to play much better next week.

That was a good strike alright, don't know how he got the dip on it.

27 goals already this weekend and Palermo Vs Napoli still to come!

Serie A is so boring!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Anyone know what's going on with Krasic?

I would hate for Juve to get rid of him. Firmly believe he can be the next Nedved.

Never really rated Boriello while Pizarro is a good rather than a great player.

Anyone know what's going on with Krasic?

I would hate for Juve to get rid of him. Firmly believe he can be the next Nedved.

Never really rated Boriello while Pizarro is a good rather than a great player.

Kracis is nothing like Neved, he has no brain, he's never going to improve.

He's just a quick player with decent ball controll.
    He can't cross though and he doesn't have to brain to pick out through balls.

He's not world class and never will be.

Agreed. Krasic doesn't seem to have a footballing brain at all. He's a one trick pony.

Kracis is nothing like Neved, he has no brain, he's never going to improve.

He's just a quick player with decent ball controll.
    He can't cross though and he doesn't have to brain to pick out through balls.

He's not world class and never will be.

^^

This.

Krasic showed encouraging signs a few seasons back, just after Juve were promoted back into Serie A. But he's never grown past that "raw potential" stage, he never developed his game like real top players do. Like seaneh said, he shows little awareness when on the ball and will often be selfish with the ball when a colleague is better placed. Good first touch and control but as has been already said, cannot deliver a good final ball.

My Juve-supporting Italian friend would be delighted should Juve decide to get rid. The only thing Krasic and Nedved have in common is their hair. And that's where the similarities end.

On a separate note, looking forward to seeing Napoli back in action. They have just signed Eduardo Vargas from Universidad de Chile - the Copa de Sudamerica's top scorer - South America's equivalent of the Champions League. Knowing Napoli's highly inconsistent form, it'll probably be a 1-0 victory for Palermo. Would be nice to be wrong.

Even Nedved's hair is way better than Krasic's!

the Copa de Sudamerica's top scorer - South America's equivalent of the Champions League.
    It's the equivalent to the Europa League. The Libertadores is the equivalent to the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

^^

On a separate note, looking forward to seeing Napoli back in action. They have just signed Eduardo Vargas from Universidad de Chile - the Copa de Sudamerica's top scorer - South America's equivalent of the Champions League. Knowing Napoli's highly inconsistent form, it'll probably be a 1-0 victory for Palermo. Would be nice to be wrong.

Good first half performance. Pandev showing that he can play an important role in this team.

I'm excited about Vargas, but much like Ferguson's refusal to sign a central midfielder, I can't help but feel it's adding to an area we're strong in and ignoring an area we're clearly weakest in, which is the centre of defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Great win in a very difficult place to go. Cavani's was a screamer!

Napoli need to make the most of the European break and gain some ground on their rivals. Our next four games are against Bologna, Siena, Genoa and Cesena. It won't be easy, but 12 points needs to be the target, giving some momentum going into the Milan game.

• Advertisement

WTF happened in the Siena - Lazio match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭edson

WTF happened in the Siena - Lazio match?

I never expected Lazio to break in properly to the top 3 or 4, so I guess this is the start of their demise....

Pato going......
    AC Milan have agreed to sell striker Alexandre Pato to Paris Saint-Germain in a deal worth €35 million, according to AFP.

The news agency claims the Ligue 1 giants will pay €28m up front, with another €7m to come in the form of bonuses for the 22-year-old.

In addition, a three-and-a-half year contract worth between €6-7m a year has been proposed to Pato, which he is expected to put pen to paper on imminently.

Pato has been heavily linked with a potential move away from Milan since appearing to question coach Massimiliano Allegri's coaching methods.

However, despite continued denials from the Rossoneri hierarchy, it now seems PSG and new trainer Carlo Ancelotti have finally persuaded Milan to part with their man.

Pato's reported arrival comes in quick succession of countryman Maxwell's move to the Parc des Princes from Barcelona.

from goal.com, gazetta dello sport carrying it as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Alexandre Pato has issued an immediate denial to reports this afternoon that suggested he had agreed a €35m transfer to Paris Saint-Germain.

http://www.football-italia.net/node/14570

Alexandre Pato has issued an immediate denial to reports this afternoon that suggested he had agreed a €35m transfer to Paris Saint-Germain.

http://www.football-italia.net/node/14570
    Milan should sell if they're getting 35m for him.

So Juve drew 1-1 with Cagliari and Udinese 3-2 lost to Genoa, this means that Milan can go 2 points clear if they win but Inter can go just 6 points behind if they win, sets tonight's match up well.

Sneijder and Forlan are fit again and should be on the bench tonight, Sneijder might start but I'd prefer if the line-up is the same as last weeks and want Alvarez to start. Should be a good game tonight, I can't wait for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

dor83 wrote: »
    So Juve drew 1-1 with Cagliari and Udinese 3-2 lost to Genoa, this means that Milan can go 2 points clear if they win but Inter can go just 6 points behind if they win, sets tonight's match up well.

Sneijder and Forlan are fit again and should be on the bench tonight, Sneijder might start but I'd prefer if the line-up is the same as last weeks and want Alvarez to start. Should be a good game tonight, I can't wait for it.

For some reason I have a feeling AC are going to do another job on Inter.. That is unless of course Inter can show the type of form that's saved them from the lower half of the table against in my opinion one of Europe's top 4 sides.

Ac have been phenomenal at times over the last 16 months + but they still lack a clinical striker IMHO. Sealing Pato would appear a backwards step, unless they have some sort of back up plan up their sleeves? ;)
    I've seen Masch and Keita linked with AC a few times on a Barcelona fan site. Possible?

Anything can happen in a derby, but I reckon Milan will get the win too, every time Inter go into it in good form we lose, so it probably won't be any different to last year.

Line-ups are:

Milan: 32 Abbiati; 20 Abate, 13 Nesta, 33 Thiago Silva, 19 Zambrotta; 27 Boateng, 4 Van Bommel, 22 Nocerino; 28 Emanuelson; 7 Pato, 11 Ibrahimovic.
    Bench: 1 Amelia, 5 Mexes, 10 Seedorf, 23 Ambrosini, 25 Bonera, 70 Robinho, 92 El Shaarawy.

Inter: 1 Julio Cesar; 13 Maicon, 6 Lucio, 25 Samuel, 55 Nagatomo; 4 Zanetti, 8 Thiago Motta, 19 Cambiasso, 11 Alvarez; 22 Milito, 7 Pazzini.
    Bench: 12 Castellazzi, 9 Forlan, 10 Sneijder, 20 Obi, 23 Ranocchia, 26 Chivu, 37 Faraoni.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Half time.Alvarez should have scored,moreso than Van Bommel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Milan lose! Woo hoo!
    Haven't seen any games or highlites, were Juve any good against Cagliari?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Disgusting banner from Inter fans:

http://milano.repubblica.it/cronaca/2012/01/15/foto/milan-inter_il_derby_degli_striscioni-28185957/1/?ref=HRERO-1

Basically, in relation to Cassano (stroke) and Gattuso (serious eye problems)

Literally,

"The heart won't hurt what the eye doesn't see"

I sincerely hope Inter are fined heavily as a result but I won't hold my breath.

Great result for Juve though.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Haven't seen any games or highlites, were Juve any good against Cagliari?
    First half very good, second half very bad.

y_c6b8bcdd.jpg

Inter fans having a cheap dig at Pato's Missus.

Merkel has gone back to Milan on loan until June.

• Advertisement

Inter v Genoa in Coppa Italia kicks off at eight, interesting line-up from Inter, says a lot that Zarate can't even get into that team, line-ups are:

Inter: 12 Castellazzi; 13 Maicon, 2 Cordoba, 23 Ranocchia, 4 Zanetti; 37 Faraoni, 19 Cambiasso, 18 Poli, 20 Obi; 10 Sneijder; 30 Castaignos
    Bench: 21 Orlandoni, 6 Lucio, 8 Thiago Motta, 11 Alvarez, 22 Milito, 28 Zarate, 55 Nagatomo

Genoa: 22 Lupatelli; 31 Sampirisi, 5 Granqvist, 24 Moretti, 7 Rossi; 33 Kucka, 14 Seymour, 10 Brisa; 19 Jorquera; 2 Pratto, 9 Ze Eduardo
    Bench: 73 Scarpi, 11 Jankovic, 20 Mesto, 27 Constant, 32 Marchiori, 81 Sculli, 88 Biondini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Stunning goal by Maicon :eek: in the Coppa Italia v Genoa, 1-0 after ten mins

the Copa de Sudamerica's top scorer - South America's equivalent of the Champions League.
    It's the equivalent to the Europa League. The Libertadores is the equivalent to the CL.
    You caught me there. I always thought it was vice versa.

Atalanta v Juve just kicked off, line-ups are:

Atalanta: Consigli; Raimondi, Ferri, Manfredini, Peluso; Schelotto, Cigarini, Padoin, Bonaventura; Moralez; Denis

Juventus: Buffon; Lichtsteiner, Barzagli, Chiellini, De Ceglie; Vidal, Pirlo, Marchisio; Pepe, Matri, Vucinic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Totti scored a brace today to make him the highest goalscorer for a single club (5th highest overall) in Serie A history with 211 goals, granted he played 200 odd games more than Nordahl who's record he broke but it still impressive for a player that was never an out and out striker, 15 more goals in his career which is certinly doable would make him the 2nd highest overall goalscorer in Serie A history.

Still a bit of a prick though

• Advertisement
Advertisement