Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serie A Superthread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

tvnutz wrote: »
    Why are these games on so early?

They're effectively Sunday afternoon fixtures. They were postponed after Morosini. edit: Also it's Liberation Day in Italy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

tvnutz wrote: »
    Why are these games on so early?

It's a holiday in Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

There would also be no point putting the on at the same time as the CL semi tonight,.

Good half from Inter, I'd like to see Poli on for Stankovic because he is looking likely to be sent off if he's not careful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Great half from Inter, some of the better stuff I've seen from them in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

A great set of results for Napoli today.

Milan and Juve both have very winnable games coming up now.

Milan: Abbiati; Abate, Nesta, Yepes, Antonini; Nocerino, Van Bommel, Muntari; Emanuelson; El Shaarawy, Ibrahimovic

Genoa: Frey; Granqvist, Kaladze, Moretti, Birsa; Kucka, Jankovic, Biondini, Belluschi; Sculli, Palacio

Cesena v Juventus is on ESPN now.

Cesena: Antonioli; Ceccarelli, Moras, Rodriguez, Benalouane; Del Nero, Colucci, Parolo, Djokovic; Santana, Rennella

Cesena bench: Ravaglia, Comotto, Rossi, Guana, Arrigoni, Lolli, Malonga

Juventus: Buffon; Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini; Caceres, Vidal, Pirlo, Marchisio, De Ceglie; Matri, Vucinic

Juventus bench: Storari, Lichtsteiner, Padoin, Marrone, Giaccherini, Borriello, Del Piero

Very pedestrian stuff from Juve so far, they need to raise the tempo in the second half. Pirlo missed his second penalty in two matches but it probably shouldn't have been given anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Of all people :pac: Borriello puts Juve in front. Big few mins in Milan now.

BOOM :D

Boetang, 1-0!

Juve lucky to win in the end. Again it took Del Piero to come on to break them down. I can't believe he only has five matches left as a Juve player.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Juve lucky to win in the end. Again it took Del Piero to come on to break them down. I can't believe he only has five matches left as a Juve player.

I think he could go on for another year with the way he's playing. What a way to go out though. If Juve go on to win the league, he's played a big role. Legend.

I think he could go on for another year with the way he's playing. What a way to go out though. If Juve go on to win the league, he's played a big role. Legend.
    I hope he gets another season but I don't see it happening. Juve are in the cup final too so he could leave after winning the double.

Juve are going to need to sign at least one top class striker this summer. Matri and Borriello can't be relied on for goals in the CL and Del Piero is still the one producing moments of magic in tight games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I don't know how, but somehow Napoli are only a point off third! It's been a real case of no team wanting it, so much so that Inter are still in with a bit of a shout.

Probably because Lazio managed to get 1/6 against Novara and Lecce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

carlop wrote: »
    I don't know how, but somehow Napoli are only a point off third! It's been a real case of no team wanting it, so much so that Inter are still in with a bit of a shout.

I looked at the results last night on my phone, when i saw them i had to check that i had the right date, i couldn't believe it! Lazio, Roma and Udinese all lost, and Napoli won! Lecce is not an easy place to go of late, so i was absolutely thrilled they got the win. After losing 3 on the spin and with Lazio being 6 points clear, i'm sure we all thought it was ciao to the champions league. It's a funny old game isn't it. Still not sure if we can claim the final spot, the run-in is not the easiest, Roma should be a tasty affair on Sunday. Lazio could still nick it.

• Advertisement

grenache wrote: »
    I looked at the results last night on my phone, when i saw them i had to check that i had the right date, i couldn't believe it! Lazio, Roma and Udinese all lost, and Napoli won! Lecce is not an easy place to go of late, so i was absolutely thrilled they got the win. After losing 3 on the spin and with Lazio being 6 points clear, i'm sure we all thought it was ciao to the champions league. It's a funny old game isn't it. Still not sure if we can claim the final spot, the run-in is not the easiest, Roma should be a tasty affair on Sunday. Lazio could still nick it.

Roma is a massive game, but apart from that the run-in is quite easy. Lazio still have to play Inter and Udinese (I think) so hopefully a few teams will take points off each other. Inter are a threat too, but they have a derby left, as well as the Lazio game.

We don't deserve to be anywhere near it, but hopefully we can seize the opportunity, and we owe Roma a beating after the game earlier this season!

Roma is a massive game, but apart from that the run-in is quite easy. Lazio still have to play Inter and Udinese (I think) so hopefully a few teams will take points off each other. Inter are a threat too, but they have a derby left, as well as the Lazio game.

We don't deserve to be anywhere near it, but hopefully we can seize the opportunity, and we owe Roma a beating after the game earlier this season!

We owe Roma a beating because they are Romans. Our biggest rivals, i think only Verona are detested more by Napolitan fans. I bloody hate Rome also, so victory would please me much!

We owe Roma a beating because they are Romans. Our biggest rivals, i think only Verona are detested more by Napolitan fans. I bloody hate Rome also, so victory would please me much!

A good point. My friend asked me the other day who would be Napoli's biggest rivals. It's actually quite hard to say. Roma and Verona as you mentioned, but Inter and Juve would hardly be bosom buddies, without even getting into the local stuff like Salernitana and Avellino.

Napoli hate Lazio, Verona, Avellino and AS Roma equal it seems :p

• Site Banned Posts: 175 ✭✭jimjimjimmy

Aquila wrote: »
    jaysus lads i have rediscovered this

That tune has been my ringtone for quite a while!

• Advertisement

Brilliant game at the Stadio Olimpico. Finished in a draw between Roma and Napoli. No team wants 3rd place seemingly.

That was a great match, really enjoyed it.

Porca puttana!! B*llox to you Romans. Two stunning strikes for Zuniga and Cavani. Really thought we'd hold on. On the balance Roma probably deserved a draw.

Don't you go beating Udinese now tomorrow Lazio.

*On a separate note i only realised now that Lavezzi has a clause in his contract, when another club offers €31m or more for him, he has permission to talk to them with the option to sign. Sneaky. Inter are apparently ready to offer us Pandev and two other mediocre chaps who's names i've forgotten + 15m - that's just insulting!

I missed the match because my sister is visiting (I don't think streaming Roma - Napoli would be her idea of a holiday!), but a draw is not a bad result. A draw tomorrow between Udinese and Lazio would make it all the sweeter!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Porca puttana!! B*llox to you Romans. Two stunning strikes for Zuniga and Cavani. Really thought we'd hold on. On the balance Roma probably deserved a draw.

Don't you go beating Udinese now tomorrow Lazio.

*On a separate note i only realised now that Lavezzi has a clause in his contract, when another club offers €31m or more for him, he has permission to talk to them with the option to sign. Sneaky. Inter are apparently ready to offer us Pandev and two other mediocre chaps who's names i've forgotten + 15m - that's just insulting!

Think the offer was 15m + Pandev + Joel OBi.

Don't think Napoli would ever take it seriously!

Cassano havign an absolute blinder today. scored one and one assist in the first half, his first start since his stroke and surgery!

Marco Boriello scoring in two games in a row... that hasn't happened in AGES!
    Conte has got him going again it would seem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Seaneh wrote: »
    Marco Boriello scoring in two games in a row... that hasn't happened in AGES!
    Conte has got him going again it would seem.

Helps that they were against the two teams at the foot of the table. I'm not his biggest fan.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Helps that they were against the two teams at the foot of the table. I'm not his biggest fan.

He's just a big lump really. His 2007-2008 season was pretty spectacular, but never built on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

He's just a big lump really. His 2007-2008 season was pretty spectacular, but never built on it.

Yup. His miss after half time was a reminder of just how agricultural he is.

• Advertisement

Cassano havign an absolute blinder today. scored one and one assist in the first half, his first start since his stroke and surgery!

Delighted for Cassano. I wonder if Juve can find some way to get him on a free in the summer :)

Anybody watch the Udinese v Lazio match? Finished 2-0 to Udinese, Lazio conceded the 2nd in stoppages after they thought they heard the whistle, but it came from the crowd not the ref. Lazio then started protesting with Dias being sent off and Lazio refusing to kick off, then after ending the game Marchetti shoved the ref in the shoulder but nothing was done. Crazy finish to the game, and the fight for 3rd is so close now with 4 teams on 55 points.

So 4 way tie for 3rd, this should be fun:)

Remaining fixtures

Udinese- (a)Cesena (h)Genoa (a)Catania

Napoli- (h)Palermo (a)Bologna (h) Siena

Lazio- (h)Siena (a)Atalanta (h)Inter

Inter- (a)Parma (h)Milan (a)Lazio

Think Napoli have the easiest run against sides who've little to play for and 2 of which are at home. Di Laurentiis might buy a few wins at half time if needs be.

Napoli have the head-to-head advantage over Inter and Udinese, but not Lazio. Am I right in saying that's what it comes down to if two teams are tied? If three are tied, I presume it's goal difference?

Either way, Napoli really should win their final three games. Palermo are awful on the road, and Siena at home shouldn't be a problem, though they are capable of an upset or two.

That leaves Bologna away. They aren't a bad team, but hopefully a motivated Napoli will get the better of them.

Also, it would be naive to ignore how games at the tail-end of Serie A between those playing for something and those playing for nothing can sometimes turn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

Napoli have the head-to-head advantage over Inter and Udinese, but not Lazio. Am I right in saying that's what it comes down to if two teams are tied? If three are tied, I presume it's goal difference?

That's what it comes down to with two teams tied, but in the case of 3 or more teams, it goes on the teams performances against each other, like a mini-league between the teams.

As it stands there's a 4-team tie with Napoli top of their 'mini-league' having 6 points from Inter, 4 from Udinese and 1 from Lazio.

The wiki-elves are usually pretty quick with this sort of thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serie_A_2011-12#League_table

574686_339110396143120_180305525356942_788826_1272754143_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Anyone watching the Chievo - Roma game? Some serious rain on the pitch, don't know how they are playing on it.

It's unlikely, but the title could be won today. If Juve beat Lecce and Milan lose to Atalanta, Juve with the scudetto.

If their heads are not right, Juve could end up with a draw. Lecce are dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TheHopeful

Juve draw 1-1 with 10 man Lecce :O and Milan win! Back to 1 point now!

I'm not even angry after that, just disappointed for Buffon. :(

What the hell was this all about? From about 20 seconds in, Rossi attacks Ljajic. Surely Rossi has to be sacked.

Ljajic sarcastically applauded Rossi for talking him off during the first half.

Rossi has been sacked.

That was way over the top of a reaction, Ljajic should have more respect but there was no need for that, Rossi should get a lengthy ban too.

dor83 wrote: »

What the hell was this all about? From about 20 seconds in, Rossi attacks Ljajic. Surely Rossi has to be sacked.
    That was amazing, hilarious, and tragic all at the same time. Solo in Italia! You'd never get it in the Septic League. It's why Serie A is so compelling.

Juve really messed up, but the little teams in Turin has been their undoing all season. My Juve buddy won't talk to me now for a week, he saw them winning the Scudetto tonight. Milan won't yield their title that easy though.

Great two days for Napoli, only an Udinese victory prevented it from being a perfect two days. Lazio has totally imploded, as i knew they eventually would. They are the Cardiff City of Serie A, always threatening year after year but never delivering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

What an idiot!

Buffon is a noted gambler. What odds would he get on a draw with Lecce? :pac:

I fancy Juve now to win the last two games. This was always going to be the tough one. The draw will sharpen their minds, and Conte now has the stick with which to beat the players into winners.

Buffon is a noted gambler. What odds would he get on a draw with Lecce? :pac:

I fancy Juve now to win the last two games. This was always going to be the tough one. The draw will sharpen their minds, and Conte now has the stick with which to beat the players into winners.

Juve are fortunate in a way to be playing two sides with so little to play for, safe from relagation but too far from European spots. Cagliari away is usually a tough place to get a result (only 3 loses there this season) but it's end of season in Serie A and when one team needs a result and the other doesn't, these things have a way of sorting themselves out. Also Milan have a little matter of the derby were it's quite likely we'll drop points anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Only a casual follower of Serie A so was amazed to read yesterday that 19 managers have lost their jobs already this season. I'm guessing that is probably not from 19 different clubs but still that's a hell of a lot of managers. Obviously patience isn't a virtue for the chairmen of Serie A.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

That's class with Rossii- not a bad barneyer for an auld lad!

Love how the little punk tried to turn his sarcastic claps into a thumbs up when he turned around!

• Advertisement
Advertisement