Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serie A Superthread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Rekop dog wrote: »
    If Juve had a clinical striker they would have walked the league. Vidal player of the year imo!

Barzagli and Pirlo are my two players of the year. 100% agree about the clinical striker. That has to be the focus for Marotta this summer.

Buffon: 'Greatest day of my life'
    By Football Italia staff

Gianluigi Buffon admits the Lecce howler left a mark, but he is celebrating this Scudetto thinking of Calciopoli and those who went into Serie B with Juventus.

“It’s pointless saying that error didn’t weigh on me or leave a mark. More than anything else, I was afraid I’d be responsible for someone getting tense or afraid in the final sprint. This is why I had a very bad time the last three days.

“They were the three most horrible days of my sporting existence. I was afraid I had thrown away the title with my own mistake. I felt a great sense of responsibility.

“So tonight, without doubt after the World Cup, this is the greatest joy of my sporting life. Finally it can give a sense to the phrase that hard work pays off. I always thought it was 20 per cent true and 80 per cent rhetoric, but now I think it’s 80 per cent true.

“I thought of many people in these moments and there are many dedications to make, first of all to Alessandro Del Piero, as finally we were able to celebrate together again. I also thought back to Camoranesi, Trezeguet and Nedved, who also deserved to be protagonists on this night. I thank my family for standing by me throughout and guiding me to the right decisions.

“At the end perhaps I was the one who had the most offers, but when winning a World Cup and going down into Serie B straight away, it’s never easy. I think the only reason we did it was our love for the club, sense of belonging at Juve, respect for the fans and friendship between us.

“I suffered a great deal, as six years are a long time, but it was worth the wait.”

This is the first post-Calciopoli Scudetto and Juventus consider it to be their 30th, although officially it is the 28th.

“The issue of how many titles we have has been going for a long time and will probably never end. I really thank the Inter lads for their efforts tonight and I sent a few messages to Javier Zanetti saying I had faith in him! He’s a good friend.

“I won five titles on the field, then they put three on my CV, but there’s not much I can do about it. I can only say what I experienced and celebrated at the time.”

“I can reveal something now. The day after the presentation of the Juventus Stadium I went to see some people who gravitate around us and told him we’re winning the Scudetto. I said the same to some of the Milan lads when we were on international duty and they laughed in my face. I didn’t take that well!

“The truth is that in August I was really struck by the new stadium, as it gave me huge motivation and refreshed me. I realised that day I belonged to a club that had made history, so we could not afford to stay on the level of the previous two years.

“I said in August I rediscovered the dream and when that happens, it’s trouble for everyone else!”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Well done to Juve. Delighted for Del Piero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Buffon article

Him and Del Piero are heroes. Wonderful role models. I really liked how he mentions trezeguet, camoranesi and Nedved. A nice touch. I am so glad his mistake did not cost juve the league.

I use to watch football italia as a kid (I assume most on this thread did) and I saw Buffon's first game for Parma live and I liked even from then. I was thrilled when he joined Juventus. He has served Juve very well. It'll be a pity if he doesn't win the Champions League.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

well done Juve but I honestly think it was a case of a much superior Milan team having a lot of injuries and dropping points against lower teams than it was a great Juve season.

Also, anyone who says Ibra doesnt do it in the big games, his penalty after Cesar's scummy behaviour and his other goal tonight easily proves otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Seaneh wrote: »
    Also, anyone who says Ibra doesnt do it in the big games, his penalty after Cesar's scummy behaviour and his other goal tonight easily proves otherwise.

He does it in the big games, just not in the really big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Completely agree, Ibra on form is still a sensational player, top 5 in world with Messi, Rocketman, Xavi and Anders. Ibra is already being linked to Real Madrid this summer.
    First year in about 9 he hasn't won the league i think? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

well done Juve but I honestly think it was a case of a much superior Milan team having a lot of injuries and dropping points against lower teams than it was a great Juve season.

Juve 2-0 Milan

Inter 1-2 Juve

Milan 1-1 Juve

Juve 2-0 Inter

Juve also beat Milan in the Coppa Italia.

Juve are unbeaten also so you're statement that Milan are vastly superior doesn't wash.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

0.5 goals a game conceded is title-winning form even if only one player scraped double figures at the other end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Juve 2-0 Milan

Inter 1-2 Juve

Milan 1-1 Juve

Juve 2-0 Inter

Juve also beat Milan in the Coppa Italia.

Juve are unbeaten also so you're statement that Milan are vastly superior doesn't wash.

Well tbf the dissallowed goal in the Juve Milan 2nd league game was a farcical which would have put Milan 2-0 up. Very fine margins in football and an unbalanced amount of decisions for one team from officials can well tip the title one way in a tight season. To say that things balance themselves out over a season is a innacurate argument.

The aura around unbeaten seasons has always and will always annoy me. Their likely points total of 84(if they win on last day) is decent but not that special at all and yet we'll never hear the end of this amazing feat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

If you take the ghost goal in isolation. Milan had 10 penalty awards, several were ghosts (last night, for example) so it seems a spurious point that this was effective in deciding the title. However:-

I never said that Juve got more decisions than Milan, just that fans draw overly definitive conclusions based on who finishes top particularly in a tight finish when there's so many variables outside of whose the actual best side that can sway the title one way or another. I don't subscribe to the line you always hear that whoever finishes with the most points *deserves* the title.

Sore loser much? if ifs and buts were candy and nuts?

I don't subscribe to the line you always hear that whoever finishes with the most points *deserves* the title.

WTF thats the definition of who wins the league :rolleyes:. If you win the most points you win the league simples.

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    I don't subscribe to the line you always hear that whoever finishes with the most points *deserves* the title.

WTF thats the definition of who wins the league :rolleyes:. If you win the most points you win the league simples.

I said the winner doesn't always deserve it, even emphasized the word deserved!

Hmmm. I am curious to know what criteria you suggest to decide the league winners if not points accumulated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Ah come on now lads, anyone who says that Juve didn't deserve the league this season is crazy, or just bitter. Milan weren't good enough against the other teams in the top 6, with only one win from 10 games. I do think that Milan at their best are a better team, but this season they haven't been at their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Stramaccioni will continue as Inter manager, totally deserved imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Yeah, he has done really well and he's the first manager since Mourinho to have the players playing with some desire, and he seems to have got Sneijder playing well again too. I'm not too sure about what Moratti said though, when asked Does Andrea Stramaccioni deserve to be confirmed as Inter coach?, he said
    "Yes, I think so. However, we took him in what seemed to him to be a crazy move. But as far as I'm concerned it was an intelligent solution, also because he's an intelligent person. Therefore, I think he can continue."
    With Moratti that isn't necessarily definitive, he said that he thought Ranieri would stay until the end of the season the day before Strama got the job, so I wouldn't take that as definite yet. Hopefully he will be kept though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

dor83 wrote: »
    It goes to head to head record and Juve would win it thata way. Looks like it will be scudetto no. 30 for Juve, they deserve it too.

fyp ;)

• Advertisement

dor83 wrote: »
    Ah come on now lads, anyone who says that Juve didn't deserve the league this season is crazy, or just bitter. Milan weren't good enough against the other teams in the top 6, with only one win from 10 games. I do think that Milan at their best are a better team, but this season they haven't been at their best.

I didn't say jive don't deserve it. You win the league by accumulating more points that the rest. They did that. But if Milan had less injury issues they would have coasted. Jive weren't actually great this season. They were just better over the whole season than the rest. If they don't spend a lot this summer they will be passes by Milan and maybe Inter.

I didn't say jive don't deserve it. You win the league by accumulating more points that the rest. They did that. But if Milan had less injury issues they would have coasted. Jive weren't actually great this season. They were just better over the whole season than the rest. If they don't spend a lot this summer they will be passes by Milan and maybe Inter.

This Juve team has recorded the longest single-season unbeaten run in Serie A history (i.e. are one game away from being the first ever team to go a 38-match season unbeaten) and have set the record for least goals conceded in a 38-match season. Saying anyone would have coasted past them is ludicrous. And I wouldn't be so confident about passing them any time soon. This team was signed without Champions League income. A couple of clever signings in the summer and I think it'll do alright in its first season back in Europe.

People are saying it's a relatively low winning points total. With one match left to play, it's one point less than the winning total from last season so that doesn't make sense.

In Italy they agree with you, sometimes awarding the title to the second-place team.

You are right. In fact, in 2005/6 they awarded it to the 3rd placed side......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

They were so good they dropped points against lower teams? That makes perfect sense. Poor old AC Milan just don't have the cash to build a squad.
    Keep up the bitterness Milan fans, it makes it all the sweeter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Well done Juventus. I honestly don't get some Milan fans claiming Juve are not worthy champions. Ok best 11 v 11 and Milan would win. Milan did suffer a lot of injuries this season and in truth that probably did them in. Juventus not having champions league football allowed them plenty of rest and as such could keep a fresher squad. All of that played a factor but guess what, stuff like that happens every season.

Even the hardest of fans cannot begrudge Juve their 28th. Any team that goes through the season unbeaten deserves respect and admiration. I fully believe that you place where you deserve. In which case well done Juve on going the season unbeaten (possibly) and well done on winning the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

22 teams face corruption charges 3 in Serie A

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/feedarticle/10233659

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Zanetti is a mad bastard, he's had some crazy, ridiculous hairstyles over the last 20 years...

http://t.co/35f1DyOx

Paparazzo wrote: »
    They were so good they dropped points against lower teams? That makes perfect sense. Poor old AC Milan just don't have the cash to build a squad.
    Keep up the bitterness Milan fans, it makes it all the sweeter!

Milan had more injuries this season than any season I have every supported them, and a lot of them are freak illness or injuries.

Pato's muscular issues, Cassano's stroke, Gatuso's 6th nerve palsy, and so on.

The squad was fine, just a freakish run of run of injuries/illness cost Milan a lot. The only area Juve are better than Milan is midfield, and even there Juve aren't a lot better. Milan's cb pairing is better than Juve's, we have a better right back and our forwards are miles ahead. Juve have a better left full, keeper and Pirlo...

• Advertisement

Accoridng to La Republica, Inzaghi and Seedorf have been told they will be released in June.

Sad but needed.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Panini stickers through the years -

AsctLbNCIAAR77h.jpg

AscpE7CCIAAyrYh.jpg

Delp looks like an Irish Chav in the 2nd pic on the top line.

The many looks of Zanetti heh, it would be disconcerting if he ever changes in future.

Accoridng to La Republica, Inzaghi and Seedorf have been told they will be released in June.

Sad but needed.

Juventus will take Pippo back and he'll score 30 goals next season :D

Juventus will take Pippo back and he'll score 30 goals next season :D

I think he's retiring tbh, or he's end up at a small club, maybe ever MLS or an Arab team... Either he will go where he will start most games or he will retire. Taking Seedorf wouldn't be a bad idea, his wages are just mental, over 100k and he's like 70million years old.

He's not being let go because of wages, he's only on about 20k a week as far as I know.

The squad was fine, just a freakish run of run of injuries/illness cost Milan a lot. The only area Juve are better than Milan is midfield, and even there Juve aren't a lot better. Milan's cb pairing is better than Juve's, we have a better right back and our forwards are miles ahead. Juve have a better left full, keeper and Pirlo...

Barzagli and Chiellini are both better than whoever Milan's second best centre half is. Lichtsteiner is much better than Abate.

• Advertisement

Barzagli and Chiellini are both better than whoever Milan's second best centre half is. Lichtsteiner is much better than Abate.

Lichsteiner is about as good as Abate, probably better defensively, but a lot slower and not as good going forward, Nesta, if he was fit all season, would have been as good as the two above, Thaigo Silva farts all over them for fun.

Lichsteiner is about as good as Abate, probably better defensively, but a lot slower and not as good going forward, Nesta, if he was fit all season, would have been as good as the two above, Thaigo Silva farts all over them for fun.
    I find that a strange thing to say about Lichtsteiner when his main strength is going forward. He's not exactly slow either.

Nesta is 36, you were never going to be able to rely on him for a full season.

Silva is the best defender in the world IMO.

I find that a strange thing to say about Lichtsteiner when his main strength is going forward. He's not exactly slow either.

Nesta is 36, you were never going to be able to rely on him for a full season.

Silva is the best defender in the world IMO.

I don't think Stephen is slow, nor is he exactly Tony Hibbert with the ball at his feet but Abate is quicker, a better dribbler and a better crosser, imho, Lichtsteiner is a better tackler though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Zanetti is a mad bastard, he's had some crazy, ridiculous hairstyles over the last 20 years...

http://t.co/35f1DyOx

I loved the year he decided to go for a change and part it to the other side :cool:

Juventus allowed 19 goals this season compared to Milan's 32. Juve's defense is better simples. I can agree that Milan's attack is more clinical and is better on paper, the stats even support your claim there for once. But it's Italy, the cliché "Defense wins Championships" comes to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭edson

I have to agree, Juve had the better all-round defense...

As for Milan...Silva is the only top-quality defender we have, Nesta was too old...and injured too often...Mexes just not good enough....Abate is borderline, i like when he attacks, but he's meant to be a defender first, and he ain't the best, but would be a valuable squad player...Zambrotta, past it, Bonera, Antonini and any of the others are just not up to it all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭edson

Nesta is leaving Milan, check it out here

I guess this settles any doubt over what the club are going to do about the whole 30 scudetti/3 stars issue.

559638_454709144556320_171522852874952_1733665_245053974_n.jpg

The beast

398275_10150817266167991_32381747990_9304003_1352226239_n.jpg

Van bommell the latest to announce he is leaving milan.

Van Bommell, Seedorf, Nesta, Gattuso, Inzaghi - tomorrows game is going to be emotional

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Van bommell the latest to announce he is leaving milan.

Van Bommell, Seedorf, Nesta, Gattuso, Inzaghi - tomorrows game is going to be emotional

Are those players mostly retiring or just moving on? Gattuso and Seedorf are particularly good players.

Are those players mostly retiring or just moving on? Gattuso and Seedorf are particularly good players.

van bommell to psv apparently
    nesta hinted at a move to MLS

no news on the rest of them, i would expect inzaghi to retire and the others to maybe go on to other clubs.......juve?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Rumour is Seedorf could end up in Brazil with Botafogo. He's married to a Brazilian woman so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility.

http://www.sambafoot.com/en/news/30633_botafogo_looking_to_recruit_clarence_seedorf.html

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Juve finish the league season undefeated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement