Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serie A Superthread 2011/2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Udinese would be idiots to let them go on co-ownerships for €15.

They could probably het 15 for Asamoah and 12ish for Isla in an open market situation.

Also, why sign a right back when they have Lichtner unless they want to play him centre mid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Asamoah is a great signing. Juve have possibly the second best midfield in the world now.

I was slightly confused by Isla too. He's useful because he can play right back, centre mid, right wing and left back and left wing if he has to. Surely he'll want to start regularly and not be a utility back up though. I hope it doesn't mean Pepe/Caceres are leaving. Padoin plays similar positions to Isla so I'd say he's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Football tonight, finally :)

Sampdoria - Varese, for promotion to Serie A.
    Got a tenner on Samp to win.

Rumors flying around that Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al-Maktoum is about to buy 20% of Milan and invest enough money for Milan to buy the San Siro and invest in the squad.

If it happens, I welcome our civil rights abusing overlords.

It's apparently the same fella who gave us the Fly Emirates deal. He goes to almost every game in the San Siro, provides Milan with a free chartered 747 for every away CL match and was labelled "Milan's biggets fan" by some media outlets.

13810049.jpg

So that's Sampdoria back in Serie A (unless the shít really hits the fan later in the summer à la 2006).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Wow what a tense last 10 minutes in the Samp game. The relief was incredible after Pozzi scored. Delighted though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Ezequiel Lavezzi's move to PSG should be finalised this week, the transfer window opens tomorrow morning, June 13th. €27.5m plus performance related bonus payments. Sad to see him leave Napoli, i think Cavani will miss him most of all, Lavezzi has made him the player that he is.

Napoli completed the permanent signing of Goran Pandev from Inter last week for an undisclosed fee. It's a good acquisition, but new defenders are what's really required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Seaneh wrote: »
    Rumors flying around that Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al-Maktoum is about to buy 20% of Milan and invest enough money for Milan to buy the San Siro and invest in the squad.

How would that affect Inter?

They have plans to build their own stadium but I guess they would be tennants of Milan until they move.

To be honest, I don't see why the clubs don't just buy it together or build a new joint stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

I'm glad Inter are planning on moving away from the San Siro, while I love going there it would take too much work to renovate it to a good standard and you would still have the problems with the pitch not getting enough sun. I also don't see the council selling it before the current leases run out in 2016 because they are making huge amounts of money from it and they would lose that if they do.

Isla and Asamoah have had medicals with Juve.

Giovinco seems to be coming back to Juve. They've also signed 50% of the "next Pirlo", Marco Verratti. He'll stay at Pescara for the coming season.

Anyone know when the fixture list will come out ?

Need to start planning my trips to Rome ;)

Mourinho: "I respect the opinions of everyone and that includes Zeman, but who is he? Where does he play? I didn’t know he was the Roma Coach and I’ll have to catch up on what he’s won. I’m on holiday at the moment, but I have some free time and I’ll look to inform myself with the help of Google." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

dor83 wrote: »
    I'm glad Inter are planning on moving away from the San Siro, while I love going there it would take too much work to renovate it to a good standard and you would still have the problems with the pitch not getting enough sun. I also don't see the council selling it before the current leases run out in 2016 because they are making huge amounts of money from it and they would lose that if they do.

People need to make the pilgrimage before it is closed/ renovated!

People need to make the pilgrimage before it is closed/ renovated!
    Yeah, the best place to watch football I've been to, you just can't beat the atmosphere in the curva nord. Like I said, I will miss the place but it is in the best interest of the club to build a new stadium. I do hope I can get over a few more times before then though.

Alessandro Del Piero has written an open letter to Juventus fans on the day his contract expired. “I am no longer a Juventus player, but I will always be one of you.”

The captain’s contract ends today and he is yet to choose his next destination, although he has confirmed he will continue his playing career.
    “It ends here, my contract with Juventus expires today,” wrote Del Piero in an open letter.

“It’s not news, but knowing it is ‘official’ still has an effect on me. It is not a sad moment for me, there are no regrets or nostalgia. Not anymore. That’s because I’ve had time to think back over everything that happened in my last Bianconeri season, going further back and reliving the greatest dream I could’ve dreamed.

“All the memories, the joys, the triumphs and – to be honest – a few recent moments of bitterness... Today all these images flash in front of my eyes and at a certain point blur into one marvellous embrace of my final game in Turin.

“That is the photograph that encapsulates everything, the instant I want to bring with me always, the one that since May 13 has been printed on my heart. It cannot be cancelled.

“A while ago, before going on vacation, I emptied out my locker at Vinovo and walking out of the training ground I stopped where for many months you waited for me hoping for a photo, an autograph or just a hello... under the snow, the ice, the rain, the burning sun. But this time I am the one saluting and thanking you, just as you did with me.

“The players pass by, but Juventus remains. My teammates remain, who I wish the best and will always cheer them on.

“Above all what remains is the fans, you who are Juventus. That jersey that I loved and will always love, that I desired and respected, without breaks or discounts. I am happy that others after me can wear the shirt and above all the ‘10’ that has always had my name on it since they started printing names on the Bianconeri jerseys.

“I am happy for whoever will wear it next year and happy that somewhere – in Italy and all over the world – someone is dreaming of wearing it.

“I would be proud of someone wanting to follow my path, just as I dreamed of doing so with other champions, other examples, other legends.

“From tomorrow I will no longer be a Juventus player, but I will always be one of you.

“Now a new adventure begins and I am as fired up as I was 19 summers ago.

“Arrivederci. Thanks for everything.

“Alessandro.”

http://www.football-italia.net/20599/del-pieros-open-letter-juve

So someone will be no. 10 next year. If it's Giovinco I'll go mental. I'm not happy that he's even going to be wearing the black and white, let alone the no. 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

So someone will be no. 10 next year. If it's Giovinco I'll go mental. I'm not happy that he's even going to be wearing the black and white, let alone the no. 10.

What's wrong with Giovinco?

• Advertisement

HazDanz wrote: »
    What's wrong with Giovinco?

He's not good enough, his attitude stinks and he publicly backed Milan to beat Juve to the title last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

He's not good enough, his attitude stinks and he publicly backed Milan to beat Juve to the title last season.

Fair enough, I just feel he did a decent job with Parma and has earned a chance to come back and prove himself at Juve. Maybe giving him Del Piero's shirt is bit much though.

He did more than a decent job at Parma, he scored 15 serie A goals playing as a #10, which is 5 more than anyone at Juve, despite playing for an unfancied team who punched well above their weight all season.

He didn't "back Milan" he just said they "play better football and have more decisive players, like Ibrahimovic" and so said they were more likely to win Serie A, and at the time, Milan looked far more likely to win the league, and it would be idiotic to say they don't and didn't play better football than Conte's Juve. If Milan hadn't had the injury problems they had this season after Christmas (13 players were injuried at the same time at one stage!) there is no was Juve would have caught them. Milan had and have a better team, even the more die-hard Juve fan would be idiotic to argue otherwise.
    Juve deserved to win the league, the table doesn't lie, but if Milan hadn't been as screwed by injuries as they were, Juve would have been a distant second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ciro Ferrara is the new Sampdoria manager. Harsh on Iachini, who did an outstanding job last season, but thats the way it is in Italy really. He was extremely gracious in leaving too. Looking forward to new season now Samp are back.

Samp seemed determined to replace Iachini with a bigger name, which is very harsh. They initially approached Rafa Benitez.

Ferrara had a fairly disastrous spell with Juve, but he seems to have done alright with the Azzurrini.

Lucio in Turin for a medical. Bizarre.

39b69264-b9a5-4d8e-b6ab-dd142269669d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He did more than a decent job at Parma, he scored 15 serie A goals playing as a #10, which is 5 more than anyone at Juve, despite playing for an unfancied team who punched well above their weight all season.

An you say there are no trequartistas left in Italy. :)

Ederson to Lazio, brilliant signing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

Why sign Lúcio? If he's to be a squad player, surely they may as well have given a young lad a chance?

So this summer, Juve have signed Leali, Isla, Asamoah, Giovinco, Lúcio and Pogba? Anyone else?

So this summer, Juve have signed Leali, Isla, Asamoah, Giovinco, Lúcio and Pogba? Anyone else?
    IN
    - Martin Caceres D RLC 1987 option used 8m €
    - Nicola Leali GK 1993 Brescia 3.8m €
    - Emanuele Giaccherini AM L 1985 option used 4.25m €
    - Stefano Beltrame ST 1993 option used tba
    - Leonardo Spinazzola AM RL 1993 Siena co-ownership tba
    - Sebastian Giovinco AM L, SS 1987 Parma second half 11m €
    - Kwadwo Asamoah DM 1988 Udinese co-ownership 9m €
    - Mauricio Isla RWB/DM 1988 Udinese co-ownership 9.4m €
    - Alberto Masi D C 1992 Pro Vercelli co-ownership tba
    - Lucio D C 1978 out of contract 0m €

OUT
    - Alessandro Del Piero SS 1974 out of contract
    - Fabio Grosso D L 1977 out of contract
    - Alexander Manninger GK 1977 out of contract
    - Albin Ekdal M C 1989 Cagliari 1.2m €

Pogba hasn't been announced (by Juve or the player) yet.

Lucio in Turin for a medical. Bizarre.
    Yeah, he won't get much game time at all unless there are major injuries and he has been useless for the last 2 seasons.

Udinese have apparently accepted an offer of €11m plus co-ownersjip of Davide Faraoni from Inter for Handanovic. While I think he is a good keeper I think this is a stupid transfer from Inters point of view, if we really have to replace Cesar why not bring Viviano back for cheap instead of wasting money that could be used elsewhere. What will happen to Cesar too, I can't see anyone spending money to take him but letting him go on a free would be a big mistake imo because he is still a good keeper.

• Advertisement

Yeah, he won't get much game time at all unless there are major injuries and he has been useless for the last 2 seasons.

Udinese have apparently accepted an offer of €11m plus co-ownersjip of Davide Faraoni from Inter for Handanovic. While I think he is a good keeper I think this is a stupid transfer from Inters point of view, if we really have to replace Cesar why not bring Viviano back for cheap instead of wasting money that could be used elsewhere. What will happen to Cesar too, I can't see anyone spending money to take him but letting him go on a free would be a big mistake imo because he is still a good keeper.

The worrying thing is he might get game time. With a back three, the fourth choice CB could end up playing a lot. Especially with European football again this year.

Hopefully it'll end up being a Pirlo, not a Grosso.

Handanovic is a top class keeper in fairness. He's definitely better than Viviano.

The worrying thing is he might get game time. With a back three, the fourth choice CB could end up playing a lot. Especially with European football again this year.

Hopefully it'll end up being a Pirlo, not a Grosso.

Handanovic is a top class keeper in fairness. He's definitely better than Viviano.
    I honestly can't Lucio being good enough, it's way too easy to get by him, he goes too far forward and doesn't have any pace to get back. There is a reason we rescinded his contract.

Handanovic is a decent keeper, although I think he is a little over rated, but we are spending money on a position we don't need to spend on. He is better than Viviano but we would be saving on the transfer fee as we could get the other half very cheaply, and he would be on lower wages too. I also think in 2-3 years Viviano will be the better keeper, he was very good before the injury and I reckon he will get back to his best this season or next season. The other thing I don't like about this is that Cesar is a big presence in the squad and I'm not happy with the club for trying to just boot him out like this when he has shown no desire to leave.

No Napoli signings as of yet, this is quite worrying. Especially given the exit of gloryhunter Lavezzi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

grenache wrote: »
    No Napoli signings as of yet, this is quite worrying. Especially given the exit of gloryhunter Lavezzi.

I really feel Pocho is getting an unfair time of it from people. He gave 5 incredible seasons of service to the club, has been a joy to watch and only made his decision once Napoli had needlessly chucked away any chance of qualifying for The Champions League. A player of his quality after having a taste of Champions League football will always want to be there on a regular basis. I know he is making a lot of money from this deal but on a personal level I wish him no ill will and tbh better to see him in PSG colours than those of Inter.

In terms of new signings, it is a tough one. The board genuinely believe that Vargas has it in him to become a great player, though I am not sure Matzzarri shares this point of view. Insigne coming back will be a good thing after a hell of a season at Pescara. Though obviously it must be noted that Serie B is a world of difference from Serie A. In defence I expect Balzaretti to sign which would be a good move particularly after such a good tournament for him. I know it would never have happened but I would have liked to see a Pay as you Play deal done for one year with Del Piero. He still has a season left in him and rather it be in Italy than mucking about in Dubai or New York.

Fantastic talent. He was more able than all of Juves' strikers last season. I think they would be crazy to move him on

population wrote: »
    I really feel Pocho is getting an unfair time of it from people. He gave 5 incredible seasons of service to the club, has been a joy to watch and only made his decision once Napoli had needlessly chucked away any chance of qualifying for The Champions League. A player of his quality after having a taste of Champions League football will always want to be there on a regular basis. I know he is making a lot of money from this deal but on a personal level I wish him no ill will and tbh better to see him in PSG colours than those of Inter.

In terms of new signings, it is a tough one. The board genuinely believe that Vargas has it in him to become a great player, though I am not sure Matzzarri shares this point of view. Insigne coming back will be a good thing after a hell of a season at Pescara. Though obviously it must be noted that Serie B is a world of difference from Serie A. In defence I expect Balzaretti to sign which would be a good move particularly after such a good tournament for him. I know it would never have happened but I would have liked to see a Pay as you Play deal done for one year with Del Piero. He still has a season left in him and rather it be in Italy than mucking about in Dubai or New York.

It's true what you say about Lavezzi moving to France. I don't think i could handle watching him play for Inter. Of all teams! He forgets though that only in Naples can he be revered as a god. In Paris he will be viewed as just another rich superstar footballer. Parisians don't have the same relationship with their players as that of Napolitans. I would have liked him to stay for another couple of seasons. To help guide Napoli back to CL football. He's still young at 26. There'd have been plenty time for him to still move abroad at 28/29. I can't help but thinking his wife had a major say in his decision.

Insigne is a great player, a new type of Pocho, and 18 goals in Serie B is a magnificent achievement for someone so young. He has to be thrown in at the deep end this year and given as much game time as possible. Vargas was given little game time by Mazzarri last season, i think it was a panic signing forced upon him by De Laurentiis. Defenders are what we need.

Is that Balzaretti link just a rumour or has there been talks between Napoli and his agent?

The Balzaratti thing was on the front page of Corriere dello Sport last week, though in fairness that does not mean it is a done deal by any means. However if you want some proper tenuous stuff, and I swear this is true, Balzaratti's wife is an opera singer and her people have been in touch with the San Carlo theatre quite a bit recently talking about the schedule of upcoming performances and productions for the season. I was told this by the San Carlo PR manager at a dinner last week, so maybe it is adding 1 and 1 and getting 3, but still you never know......

It's true what you say about Lavezzi moving to France. He forgets though that only in Naples can he be revered as a god

He certainly won't get any of this in Paris:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8PapjPS2qU

The Balzaratti thing was on the front page of Corriere dello Sport last week, though in fairness that does not mean it is a done deal by any means. However if you want some proper tenuous stuff, and I swear this is true, Balzaratti's wife is an opera singer and her people have been in touch with the San Carlo theatre quite a bit recently talking about the schedule of upcoming performances and productions for the season. I was told this by the San Carlo PR manager at a dinner last week, so maybe it is adding 1 and 1 and getting 3, but still you never know......

She's a dancer and works in Paris. Balzaretti was apparently quoted as saying he was considering a move to PSG to be closer to her but it's most likely rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

It's true what you say about Lavezzi moving to France. I don't think i could handle watching him play for Inter. Of all teams! He forgets though that only in Naples can he be revered as a god. In Paris he will be viewed as just another rich superstar footballer. Parisians don't have the same relationship with their players as that of Napolitans. I would have liked him to stay for another couple of seasons. To help guide Napoli back to CL football. He's still young at 26. There'd have been plenty time for him to still move abroad at 28/29. I can't help but thinking his wife had a major say in his decision.

Insigne is a great player, a new type of Pocho, and 18 goals in Serie B is a magnificent achievement for someone so young. He has to be thrown in at the deep end this year and given as much game time as possible. Vargas was given little game time by Mazzarri last season, i think it was a panic signing forced upon him by De Laurentiis. Defenders are what we need.

Is that Balzaretti link just a rumour or has there been talks between Napoli and his agent?

I kind of get the impression that this may have had a bit of an influence in him leaving. While it must be great to have that level of adoration and attention, it must get tiring after a while, and I have a vague memory of Lavezzi saying as much earlier this season, though I might be imagining it.

I'd be far angrier if he had gone to Inter, in fact I'd say that would have been unforgiveable.

I really want to see some of Vargas. He came with a lot of hype, but we're yet to really see him for more than a 30 minute spell. I think he and Insigne will be expected to fill the Lavezzi void.

I'd like Balzaretti and one other top defender to come in, though this is obviously easier said than done. If we manage to find one somewhere and not lose anyone else I'd consider it a good summer's work.

• Advertisement

She's a dancer and works in Paris. Balzaretti was apparently quoted as saying he was considering a move to PSG to be closer to her but it's most likely rubbish.

I know she lives in Paris and indeed PSG were mentioned in the article I read in the Corriere dello Sport, but the main thrust of the article was that Naples was the preferred destination. Then when the PR guy said there had been a lot of contact between her people and the San Carlo, I guessed she was an opera singer, not a dancer. The arts elude me!

carlop wrote: »
    I kind of get the impression that this may have had a bit of an influence in him leaving. While it must be great to have that level of adoration and attention, it must get tiring after a while, and I have a vague memory of Lavezzi saying as much earlier this season, though I might be imagining it.

I'd be far angrier if he had gone to Inter, in fact I'd say that would have been unforgiveable.

I really want to see some of Vargas. He came with a lot of hype, but we're yet to really see him for more than a 30 minute spell. I think he and Insigne will be expected to fill the Lavezzi void.

I'd like Balzaretti and one other top defender to come in, though this is obviously easier said than done. If we manage to find one somewhere and not lose anyone else I'd consider it a good summer's work.

He was mobbed on a shopping trip with his daughter who was only over from Argentina for a week. This happened shortly after his missus was robbed. You could well be right that he just wants a lower profile at this stage

Inter squad for the training camp in Pinzolo:
    Goalkeepers: Francesco Bardi, Vid Belec, Luca Castellazzi.

Defenders: Matteo Bianchetti, Cristian Chivu, Jonathan, Ibrahima Mbaye, Andrea Ranocchia, Walter Samuel, Matias Silvestre, Javier Zanetti.

Midfielders: Ricardo Alvarez, Marco Benassi, Esteban Cambiasso, Alfred Duncan, Fredy Guarin, Joel Obi, Andrea Romanò,

Forwards: Luc Castaignos, Philippe Coutinho, Luca Garritano, Marko Livaja, Samuele Longo, Diego Milito, Rodrigo Palacio, Giampaolo Pazzini.

* Samir Handanovic has been given time off until 8 July, Maicon 9 July, Yuto Nagatomo until 10 July and Wesley Sneijder until 20 July.

No Julio Cesar or Stankovic, suggests they aren't in the plans for the new season. Forlan has also left and has joined Internacional.

Almost everyone in that squad is young and unproven or old and over the hill.

Inter squad for the training camp in Pinzolo:

No Julio Cesar or Stankovic, suggests they aren't in the plans for the new season. Forlan has also left and has joined Internacional.

Moratti said the other day that the only reason Stankovic wouldn't be in the training squad is he is injured.

Doesn't look like Julio will be aroung though!

Almost everyone in that squad is young and unproven or old and over the hill.
    Yeah but the squad is no weaker than the start of last season and with the likes of Forlan and Lucio gone and others probably leaving too, the wage bill will be about €40m less than last season too. The club has been changing the way it is run and is starting to focus more on youth, as shown by the youth teams winning 3 of the 4 national youth leagues and the NextGen, and this is the first time we are seeing the senior team adapt to that. The idea for this season is to get rid of the high earners and replace them with either young players or cheaper, reliable players who will provide experience and help the young players to develop.
    Moratti said the other day that the only reason Stankovic wouldn't be in the training squad is he is injured.

Doesn't look like Julio will be aroung though!
    I reckon both will be gone by the start of the season, Maicon too, and maybe even Pazzini as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

Yeah but the squad is no weaker than the start of last season and with the likes of Forlan and Lucio gone and others probably leaving too, the wage bill will be about €40m less than last season too. The club has been changing the way it is run and is starting to focus more on youth, as shown by the youth teams winning 3 of the 4 national youth leagues and the NextGen, and this is the first time we are seeing the senior team adapt to that. The idea for this season is to get rid of the high earners and replace them with either young players or cheaper, reliable players who will provide experience and help the young players to develop.

Question is, can th youth adapt quick enough to keep Inter in the Champions League beause without CL revenue, even a 40m cheaper Inter is unsustainable. That makes me happy.

dizzywizlw wrote: »
    Question is, can th youth adapt quick enough to keep Inter in the Champions League beause without CL revenue, even a 40m cheaper Inter is unsustainable. That makes me happy.
    It is not about instant results, this season is a step in the right direction and the improvements(financially) will keep coming over the next few years. If the new stadium gets built and costs can be cut a bit more over the next few seasons the club will be in a very healthy position, plus there is a lot of room to improve commercial revenue because for a big club it is very low at the moment. I think we will challenge for a CL spot this season anyway, like I said earlier, I think the squad is better now than it was at the start of last season and there will probably be one or two more signings too.

I know she lives in Paris and indeed PSG were mentioned in the article I read in the Corriere dello Sport, but the main thrust of the article was that Naples was the preferred destination. Then when the PR guy said there had been a lot of contact between her people and the San Carlo, I guessed she was an opera singer, not a dancer. The arts elude me!

Was that the same article where he's quoted:
    My future? I've already spoken to president Zamparini about it. I've explained my priorities. Either I stay in Parma or I go to PSG. There's no other alternative.

• Advertisement

Was that the same article where he's quoted:

Nope.

I read this article which says that the only interest had been from Napoli but Palermo were keen to keep him. It also says that last January there was an 'extremely timid' approach from PSG.

http://www.corrieredellosport.it/calcio/calcio_mercato/2012/06/26-248341/«Solo+il+Napoli+ha+chiesto+Balzaretti+al+Palermo»;

Napoli Today have the quote you got last night. So no joy in the end.
    http://www.napolitoday.it/sport/ssc-napoli/balzaretti-napoli-calciomercato.html

Advertisement