Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serie A Superthread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Inter were by far the better team, only one of the penalty shouts had any chance of being a peno and at that it was 50-50. I'd hardly call them jammy gits, more like champions coming back from a goal down to win 2-1 at the Barbera, not many teams will win away to Palermo.
    The one when Chivu fouled Cassani was a certain penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Robinho benched again. Fitness?

Great pass by Seedorf for the goal.

Hernanes and Cavanda impressed me for Lazio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Jaysus, Roma's keeper Julio Sergio finished the match tonight despite breaking his ankle. They had used all three subs - some reports say he was asked to play on, others say he offered to - but apparently he just stood on the line for the final few minutes, and was crying in agony while doing so! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Archimedes wrote: »
    Jaysus, Roma's keeper Julio Sergio finished the match tonight despite breaking his ankle. They had used all three subs - some reports say he was asked to play on, others say he offered to - but apparently he just stood on the line for the final few minutes, and was crying in agony while doing so! :eek:

Saw it all. It was one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever had to watch. The broadcasters should have cut away at some stage to save his dignity but they kept going back to him. He wasn't just crying it was violent sobbing, horrible to watch.

The match itself was a joke. Philippe Mexes was sent off and had a penalty given against him for winning the ball outside of the box. Then there were five non-awarded penalties for Roma.

Claudio Ranieri's tenure at his hometown team may now be numbered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Hernanes of Lazio is fast becoming one to watch in Serie A, he was really good again tonight and his assist for the equaliser was quality.

In 2008/09, Inter made an after-tax loss of €154 million. In the same period, Juventus made an after-tax profit of €7 million.

On the pitch, Inter finished ten points ahead of Juve, so each additional point cost the Nerazzuri €16 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Juventus v Palermo on both Setanta and ESPN tonight.

Juventus v Palermo on both Setanta and ESPN tonight.

Fabrizio Miccoli could return from injury for Palermo tonight.

It'll be interesting to see whether Juve's good win and performance against Udinese was just a blip or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

In 2008/09, Inter made an after-tax loss of €154 million. In the same period, Juventus made an after-tax profit of €7 million.

On the pitch, Inter finished ten points ahead of Juve, so each additional point cost the Nerazzuri €16 million.

Ya but i'm sure that changed big-time in the 09-10 season. Inter were 27 pts ahead of Juve and also winning the treble. They also got Eto'o plus €40m for Ibra whereas Juve spent close to €50m on 2 flops - Diego and Melo. I know which club is happier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Good to see Milito on the scoresheet again.
    He'd gone four games in Italy without a goal, his longest ever :O

Warper wrote: »
    Ya but i'm sure that changed big-time in the 09-10 season. Inter were 27 pts ahead of Juve and also winning the treble. They also got Eto'o plus €40m for Ibra whereas Juve spent close to €50m on 2 flops - Diego and Melo. I know which club is happier.

Juve are in by far the best financial position of any of the big Italian clubs. Juve have published their figures from 09-10 (pre-tax profit, small after-tax loss), but I don't have Inter's.

Despite the fact Juve are building a €120 million stadium, they haven't had net debt since 2006.

All pretty good considering this is coming into effect in a couple of years:

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/aboutuefa/organisation/executivecommittee/news/newsid=1493078.html
    Clubs will be assessed on a risk basis, taking into account debts and salary levels, as well as the following main pillars:

• Break-even requirement – clubs must not spend more than they generate over a period of time
    • No overdues payable during the season – towards other clubs, employees and/or social/tax authorities
    • Provision of future financial information – to ensure clubs can meet their future obligations

They're going for long-term sustainable success, not boom-bust or the crazy foreign investment approach. The club are still owned by the same family as it was in 1923.

Warper wrote: »
    It's the Inter wage bill that's the killer though. Inter have a fair few players on 6 figures a week plus a lot of back-up players on big money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Wow.

Both teams showing how not to defend, with Palermo going 1-0 up inside of 2 minutes.

Juventus back to playing dogshít after a great game against Udinese.

Pastore post, Del Piero bar, finally we get a game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

Juve losing 1-0, loving it.

It looked like a dive on first viewing, but that should've been a penalty when Del Piero went down. We've been pretty good going forward, but the defence is awful as usual.

Palermo's front three have been very good. Ilicic was a great find.

Iaquinta and Amauri on for Pepe and Quagliarella.

2-0 to Palermo, same score as last year.

• Advertisement

I think Aquilani is still yet to touch the ball as a Juve player.

What a goal!!

Unstoppable free kick, 3-0 Palermo, Juve are disasterous.

Iaq pulls one back, 3-1.

Bovo scores a screamer of a free kick at one end and then falls asleep to let Iaquinta score a free header at the other.

Milan -5 points, Juve -6 points and Roma -8 points from Inter. With only 4 games gone it looks like Inter's to lose already.

I think I might put a few quid on Udinese to go down.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Iličić was very impressive.

You can tell he is going to be really good before he has even done anything with the ball - there's just something about his posture when he has the ball, great feet :p

Juve are shocking. I really don't learn my lesson in betting on them :rolleyes:

Milan playing Genoa. Have to say Genoa are very impressive, Veloso in particular looks to be relishing this game. Ibrahimovic getting a few good touches, but Robinho has been hopeless.

• Advertisement

1-0 Milan

Milan are just like Inter a few years ago - hoof it up to Ibra and hope he does something brilliant :pac:

brilliant goal by ibra, milan have been terrible so far though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Milan are just like Inter a few years ago - hoof it up to Ibra and hope he does something brilliant :pac:
    Inter won 3 Scudetti with those tactics, they played around the weakness in the team and won many games because of it, so you can't really blame Milan for trying to do the same.

Genoa look to have wasted a lot of money.

Roma v Inter on at the moment. Currently 0-0 at the interval. Good match, Roma have looked the more likely to make something happen but Inter have threatened occassionally. Dejan Stankovic rattled the crossbar with a long range effort.

I thought it was a poor first half tbh.

• Advertisement

I thought it was a poor first half tbh.

Decent enough I felt. Quick tempo, competitive.

Stoppage time winner from Mirko Vucinic gives Roma their first win of the season. Get in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

RichTea wrote: »
    Stoppage time winner from Mirko Vucinic gives Roma their first win of the season. Get in!

Uh oh. The anti Rafa brigade will love this.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Good win for Milan today. Hopefully they can kick on now.

Chievo for lo scudetto! :P

• Advertisement

flag.gif

I've been saying it for the last couple of seasons now but I'm so glad(yet massively surprised) no one has made a massive bid for Vucinic.

The guy has scored gainst Milan, Inter, Real, United and Chelsea ffs and has everything needed to be a success at whatever club :D

Menez was superb in the 2nd half(the only half I did see) just to add.

Rafa's wacky decisions costing him yet again. Settling for the 0-0 by bringing on Muntari for Milito was just stupid.

Rafa's wacky decisions costing him yet again. Settling for the 0-0 by bringing on Muntari for Milito was just stupid.
    I was screaming at the tv when he made that change and said straight away that Roma would nick a winner, Muntari is that bad that we would probably have been better off with 10 men. Inter have been very bad this season so far, it's hard to believe that this team won the treble last year and the only player who has been playing well is Eto'o, it's like being back to when Mancini was manager but without Ibra to save us.

Inter weren't great, not Rafa's biggest fan but Mou lost away to Roma last season so its not exactly a crucial result. Still though Mou would not have brought Milito off and replaced him with Muntari. Brilliant goal by Roma to win it, close game and it took a moment of magic to decide it. Still reckon Inter will be a class above the rest in Serie A.

Harsh on Benitez. It's his first loss of the season and Mourinho lost at the Olimpico last year. Inter will be fine...sadly.

RichTea wrote: »
    Harsh on Benitez. It's his first loss of the season and Mourinho lost at the Olimpico last year. Inter will be fine...sadly.
    I don't like Benitez at all and will admit that I have been harsh on him at times but it is not the loss that annoys me, it is the way the team have been playing and both him and the players have to take the blame for that. So far this season Inter have played 5 games, a poor display against Bologna, lucky wins over Udinese and Palermo, a decent win over Bari and a poor display against Roma, and for me those performances have not been good enough, I would be saying the same if Mourinho was still there too.

The reason Milito was taken off for Muntari:
    Chivu and Maicon: 'Egotistical Inter'

Sunday 26 September, 2010

Cristian Chivu and Douglas Maicon reveal their irritation at Inter’s forwards. “There was too much egotism in attack.”

The Nerazzurri were defeated by a 92nd minute Mirko Vucinic goal at the Olimpico last night and the backlash from that surprise setback to Roma has begun.

“We had the opportunity to get three points, but the attitude we took to this match was not good,” slammed Maicon.

“It was better to lose 3-0 than to fall in stoppages. Unfortunately, we made so many mistakes and Roma took advantage. This was not the same Inter seen against Bari.

“We must focus on getting back on track. This time we lacked a cool head up front and I saw too much egotism in attack.”

Chivu was visibly angry during the match and went to the touchline demanding a tactical switch.

“If it keeps going like this, then I’m going,” he reportedly told the Inter bench. “Either you make them run or take me off.”

The Romanian was playing at left-back and unhappy with the performance of those who were meant to track back.

“He wanted more protection,” admitted Rafa Benitez. “He was always being left one-on-one with Jeremy Menez and already had a yellow card. That’s why I introduced Sulley Muntari, to help Chivu out.”

It is certainly not the first time Chivu has complained at playing left-back, as he much prefers to be a central defender.

I don't think Benitez will last the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Jesus Christ! I've never seen a player reveal that they said something like that on the pitch.

"Either make them run or take me off". hahahahah :p

Zlatan turning on the style again for A.C. I've lost alot of respect and admiration after him and his agent acting the d*ck over the summer, but he still is a fantastic talent, and it'd really silence the doubters if he could lead Milan to a scudetto or CL trophy.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Zlatan turning on the style again for A.C. I've lost alot of respect and admiration after him and his agent acting the d*ck over the summer, but he still is a fantastic talent, and it'd really silence the doubters if he could lead Milan to a scudetto or CL trophy.

They have no hope of winning the CL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Lot of people said that in 2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Chelsea and Barcelona are the only teams who have been anywhere consistently impressive so far this season. Milan are playing on the same level as Man Utd, Inter, Real Madrid, and Arsenal at the moment. They have the same chance at winning the CL as anyone imo. (You obviously need a huge slice of luck to win the competition too)

• Advertisement
Advertisement