Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Webactivate Query

• 02-07-2010 12:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭

Here's a bit of an odd one, looking for advice and perhaps who best to contact (FAS? Social welfare?...)

First a bit of background on myself: Belgian national, living in Ireland for the last 2.5 years, working as a temp so not a permanent contract, for various companies.
    Last december I registered with the dole and they answered me back to inform me that I did not qualify for jobseekers support nor assistance, as "my centre of interest does not seem to be in Ireland". I presume I mainly lack enough tax credits to qualify. Since then I've been working for the last 7 months but I am still not sure how many tax credits I have.

Now - for my real question :o
    I'm working on a temp contract which will quite possibly end in september. I have seen this initiave from WEBactivate - which looks really interesting. I was considering signing up for a similar course in evening education which would cost around €1200 for 4 months, 1 evening per week. (applications for that has been send off FYI)

Seeing as I probably will be unemployed by september, and this course starts in august - I'd feel like this would a great opportunity but here are my main problems:

1 - Financially: if I still do not qualify to receive social wellfare during this course, well that's not going to work out.

2 - They have no contact details listed other than the "apply here" form - do I need to go and talk to my local employement office (is that FAS)

Basicly, I'm a tad consufed here as to what my options are, how to get more information and if I would qualify for this course and receive social welfare.

Any advice, feeback or comments much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭chasm

You say that you did not qualify previously for JA/JB as "my centre of interest does not seem to be in Ireland", this i would say refers to the "Habitual Residence Condition"

Habitual residence means you have a proven close link to Ireland. Proving you are habitually resident relies heavily on fact. If you have lived in Ireland all your life, you will probably have no difficulty showing that you satisfy the factors which indicate habitual residence – see list below.

The term habitually resident is not defined in either Irish or EC law. However, the following 5 factors, which have been set down in Irish and European law, will be examined to find out if you are habitually resident in Ireland:

* Length and continuity of residence in Ireland or other parts of the Common Travel Area
    * Length and purpose of any absence from Ireland or the Common Travel Area
    * Nature and pattern of employment
    * Your main centre of interest
    * Your future intentions to live in Ireland as it appears from the evidence.

The link gives more specific details,
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/habres.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 Punchbear

Anyone had a yay or nay from Webactivate yet? 6th of August was the date by which they'd inform applicants on the outcome of their application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

I've got an email last friday saying I have been accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    I've got an email last friday saying I have been accepted

Me too! Looking forward to starting next week :)

I wonder what the situation will be with regards to signing on... & if we'll be entitled to any sort of travel allowance! I hope so as I'll need to get a train to & from the college. Weekly tickets ain't cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭lilminx

Got a phone call this afternoon saying I was accepted and wondered if I was taking the place or not as they hadn't heard from me! Did get a feckin email!

Back to school on Monday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭lilminx

Pat McGhee wrote: »
    I hope so as I'll need to get a train to & from the college. Weekly tickets ain't cheap!

First question I'll be asking too! Feckin Irish Rail...

Can anyone remember that website that you could find out people looking for people to travel in their car with them for college/work etc - they'd split the costs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

sNarah - I did a City & Guilds course with FAS last year. It cost less than €400. It was a bit dated but still a good way to start.
    I applied for the webactivate too but I haven't heard either way, so it looks like a no at this stage.

Advertisement