Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My car needs alot of repairs ..

• 02-07-2010 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hey Guys

Just looking for some advice here. Il try keep this simple.

00 ,Golf, 1.4l, mileage is 190k

Got car serviced - nct due november

Garage tell me in total the cost to fix all the problems for it to pass NCT will come to $1100e. Some of the main problems out of the list that i can remember him telling me are new catalyst , 311e to go on breaks , new engine heat sensor , driver side mirror is broke , box for windscreen washer has hole ect. ect.

I bought the car last november for $2000 , yep i know stupid me , first time buyer. Spend maybe $500 on it so far. Has had good service history and has never needed big repairs. I feel as tho i have no option but to get it all these repairs done. Im worried about milage tho , will it be good for another few years if i get this done ? i barely use it so i wont be driving it all that much over the next year or 2. Am i mad to spend any more money on it ? get 2nd opinion ? i cant see that changing the work it needs ..

If i knew it would pass nct and drive fine for another few years id be fine paying it but the guy says just because they put in a new cat still doesnt mean it will pass the emmision test

Any advice ? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

I would suggest that you put it through the NCT and get whatever it fails on fixed. There's no point in paying over a thousand euro to fix something when for all you know it might pass the test. The chances are this will be the last test it will do so just try and pass it with as little expense as possible and then get as long out of the car as you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I hate to say it, but I wouldn't spend that kind of money to get a 1.4 Golf with 190k miles through the test. If you can get it through the test with small expenditure then fine, otherwise i'd sell it cheap, learn from the experience, and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

I agree with the above, more economical to put it thru the test and get the repairs done afterwards.

Who did you get the quote from, if it's a main dealer I'd be running a mile and go to a smaller independent mechanic, same quality work for a fraction of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Shades

Anan1 wrote: »
    I hate to say it, but I wouldn't spend that kind of money to get a 1.4 Golf with 190k miles through the test. If you can get it through the test with small expenditure then fine, otherwise i'd sell it cheap, learn from the experience, and move on.

Who would buy the car as it is ? id have to scrap it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

If the price is right there's a buyer for everything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Shades

Mr Magners wrote: »
    I agree with the above, more economical to put it thru the test and get the repairs done afterwards.

Who did you get the quote from, if it's a main dealer I'd be running a mile and go to a smaller independent mechanic, same quality work for a fraction of the cost.

They are a garage beside the NCT centre and do NCT servicing so i can only assume they do the same tests and will only fix the problems needed.

An independent mechanic might be a good idea , anyone know a good one in galway city ? however if keep it where it is it would have a higher chance of passing the test .. duno what to do now ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'm just shocked a 1.4 Golf made it to 190k! Definitely not the first engine!

What you want is to fill the tank 3 days before the test and put in the STP Pre NCT back. Drive the car a good bit and then just before the test redden the car up and down the motorway (not speeding, just high revs , low gear) throw it through the test then.

Don't pay anyone anything until you've put it through, or they're obvious failure items ie. the mirror.

I've done most thing you can do to a 1.4 MK4, if you do your research most of it can be done handy, and if you've a Haynes, most of it yourself!

Advertisement