Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession and increasing prices

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Dr G, I think you have to do your maths, we are not of an age when third level education was free, we had to pay for it and six years of medicine cost a lot in fees, he paid for all his exams as do all Doctors, they are not free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I've flown 10 times with ryanair this year and have had nothing but good customer service and on-time flights.

You can't speak for everyone

I didn't. Reread my thread. I said "this I disagree with" how do you make out that I speak for everybody??

Although as was posted there is a thread dedicated solely to Ryanair in the consumer forum. And it's not for praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Just got my renewal for Quinn Health.
    Increasing from 660 to 800 euro per annum !
    A 21% increase in the midst of a recession .
    I was expecting an increase but 21% ,this country is a tragic joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

Zardoz wrote: »

Don't just blame Quinn. Ask VHI why it is done up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭g32

91011 wrote: »
    After watching the programme on how poundland can sell products for such a price (child labour in harsh conditions) I would under no circumstances purchase as much as a piece of wrapping paper from them.

There is an ongoing investigation that Poundland have products that they sell in store that are being made by child workers as young as seven they are also paid a poor wage of just 7p an hour, 100 hours a week!

I for one WILL NOT support slavery conditions as a way of getting a few pence off a product.

That is your opinion and you may avoid them if you wish. By all means, pay more if you so wish.....

However, we must welcome their expansion into towns like Newry and Enniskillen because it will increase competition down here and will also help keep prices down everywhere.

Like minded people always do their shopping in the cheapest locations. We had another similar issue to 'be patriotic' by not shopping up north in late 2008 and nobody bought into that either.

• Advertisement

After watching the programme on how poundland can sell products for such a price (child labour in harsh conditions) I would under no circumstances purchase as much as a piece of wrapping paper from them.

There is an ongoing investigation that Poundland have products that they sell in store that are being made by child workers as young as seven they are also paid a poor wage of just 7p an hour, 100 hours a week!

I for one WILL NOT support slavery conditions as a way of getting a few pence off a product.

One more note:

Not all countries are a rip-off, unlike Ireland. That's why the immediate perception of 'bully boy tactics' and 'child labour' spring-up in people forced to pay more here. These are also used by local Retailers as a tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

g32 wrote: »
    That is your opinion and you may avoid them if you wish. By all means, pay more if you so wish.....

However, we must welcome their expansion into towns like Newry and Enniskillen because it will increase competition down here and will also help keep prices down everywhere.

Like minded people always do their shopping in the cheapest locations. We had another similar issue to 'be patriotic' by not shopping up north in late 2008 and nobody bought into that either.

Had a look at the poundland model - very good model, but can only be done with huge buying power.

Many of the confectionery / food lines are near to best before date (nothing wrong with that at all), but much of the other stuff is pure tat and only worth the money you pay.

So just like lidl / aldi / euro 2 / eur price etc. there will be bargains & value, but there's a lot of sh1te too.

You can always also drop into Tesco / Dunnes and check their near to best before areas (most stores have one in fresh food, veg & dry goods areas) - recently I got a very nice finest filet steak for 29c!

btw - I had no problem in shopping up north myself in 2008 and thought the crap about being patriotic was eaxactly that - crap. BUT, since then deflation in Ireland has bee almost 8%, Inflation in UK has been almost 7% and sterling has strengthened by 12%. So an overall 30% price differential that did exist, simply does not exist anymore. (please don't give me a 2 item shopping list to show your ignorance of everyday shopping paterns!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

g32 wrote: »
    One more note:

Not all countries are a rip-off, unlike Ireland. That's why the immediate perception of 'bully boy tactics' and 'child labour' spring-up in people forced to pay more here. These are also used by local Retailers as a tool.

the child labour issue was brought up by BBC's panorama & the UK newspaper Sunday Times. - not any Irish retailer or even UK retailers. It was filmed and evidence gathered that children were being paid 7p an hour in atrocious conditions.

Under no circumstances should anyone support such conditions of slavery even if it saves them a few cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Zardoz wrote: »

Standard Health insurance in Germany for a single is between 2800 - 3750 /year depending on your income, your employer pays 8%.

Legally required when you work.

Holland its about 1100-1200 /years for basic.

Ireland is a f*cking bargain.

Had a look at the poundland model - very good model, but can only be done with huge buying power.

Many of the confectionery / food lines are near to best before date (nothing wrong with that at all), but much of the other stuff is pure tat and only worth the money you pay.

So just like lidl / aldi / euro 2 / eur price etc. there will be bargains & value, but there's a lot of sh1te too.

You can always also drop into Tesco / Dunnes and check their near to best before areas (most stores have one in fresh food, veg & dry goods areas) - recently I got a very nice finest filet steak for 29c!

btw - I had no problem in shopping up north myself in 2008 and thought the crap about being patriotic was eaxactly that - crap. BUT, since then deflation in Ireland has bee almost 8%, Inflation in UK has been almost 7% and sterling has strengthened by 12%. So an overall 30% price differential that did exist, simply does not exist anymore. (please don't give me a 2 item shopping list to show your ignorance of everyday shopping paterns!)

You keep bringing this issue up.

About inflation, UK inflation has almost stalled:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704518904575364412666735300.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Besides, Ireland now has the highest grocery prices in the Eurozone. Hardly anything to cheer about… I transparently pointed this out on my receipt also. I need not be judged about the groceries I purchase. I am not obliged to provide a justification or explanation about my shopping in the north. But, as a matter of protest, I shall vote with my feet when necessary.

• Advertisement

the child labour issue was brought up by BBC's panorama & the UK newspaper Sunday Times. - not any Irish retailer or even UK retailers. It was filmed and evidence gathered that children were being paid 7p an hour in atrocious conditions.

Under no circumstances should anyone support such conditions of slavery even if it saves them a few cent.

Nothing has been proven as yet against Poundland regarding child labour.

Then you reach your own judgement on them. Provide clear-cut evidence their products are manufactured by children. There are no offers/low prices on goods people want, down here. In the Republic, Supervalu/Musgrave have buying power also, yet they continue to rob their customers.

Advertisement