Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swapping Mitsubishi diesel with Ford diesel

• 02-07-2010 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

I am currently working on a project to swap my dead 4D56 engine form Mitsu L200 and put in a 2.5DI non turbo came out of Ford transit.

:D:D

Is there anyone else trying similar things?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

LOL...

What a complete and utter waste of time and money! Baha :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭shannonpowerlab

LOL...

What a complete and utter waste of time and money! Baha :pac:

Hey! Hobby is not a waste of time!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Hey! Hobby is not a waste of time!!

No, no that's very true and I've spent many, many hours of my life with cars, but putting a 2.5 non turbo diesel engine into an L200 is a waste. At least put something worthwhile in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

im with limerickman on this one! if your gonna do it do it right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

yea that engine will be seriously under powered for the yok your putting it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Wouldn't you also need to change the gearbox?

You guys just dont seem to get it...I did not do it for the power. :pac:

My L200 is an old (K24T) type shorter wheelbase. about 400kg lighter than K74T.

I just did it for reliability. I just did not fancy a Diesel engine made of petrol engine block.

So what? 85hp vs 73hp. I am not going to race with it anyway.

I only use to pick up some timber from a local building supply shop and make trips to a recycling centre.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Wouldn't you also need to change the gearbox?

I used a transit gear box. It will be just like the original US version Mighty Max 2WD with 2.0L petrol running on LPG.:D

Call me eccentric but I do it for a reason. A reason good enough for me.:D:D:D

I just fell in love with the transit engine when I found out that the engine does not need glow plugs and runs with push rod.
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I used a transit gear box. It will be just like the original US version Mighty Max 2WD with 2.0L petrol running on LPG.:D

Call me eccentric but I do it for a reason. A reason good enough for me.:D:D:D
    Wait, are you running it on LPG now? :) How many stations in Ireland have LPG pumps? I'm assuming you won't be travelling too far if you use LPG. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

put an evo engine gearbox and transfer case in to it , turn it into a 4x4 speed machine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

The easiest thing would be to swap the transit engine and gearbox complete. You will still need custom engine and gearbox mountings, assuming the engine fits in and the sump doesn't foul the crossmembers and steering. The gearbox tunnel may have to be adjusted with a lump hammer or an angle grinder to get the box to fit.

You will also need a custom propshaft with Ford and L200 ends. Cooling and fuel plumbing will also have to be done, along with possibly a hybrid clutch cable.

If the pickup is 4WD or you want to keep the original gearbox, you'll need a custom bellhousing and clutch, along with the custom mountings, plumbing etc.

Basically, I'm afraid if you have to ask or you're going to pay your mechanic to do it, forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

ianobrien wrote: »
    The easiest thing would be to swap the transit engine and gearbox complete. You will still need custom engine and gearbox mountings, assuming the engine fits in and the sump doesn't foul the crossmembers and steering. The gearbox tunnel may have to be adjusted with a lump hammer or an angle grinder to get the box to fit.

You will also need a custom propshaft with Ford and L200 ends. Cooling and fuel plumbing will also have to be done, along with possibly a hybrid clutch cable.

If the pickup is 4WD or you want to keep the original gearbox, you'll need a custom bellhousing and clutch, along with the custom mountings, plumbing etc.

Basically, I'm afraid if you have to ask or you're going to pay your mechanic to do it, forget about it.

lol i like how you say adjusted with a lump hammer.

bmw535d wrote: »
    lol i like how you say adjusted with a lump hammer.

Just as long as the precision adjusting tool (ie the sledgehammer) isn't needed....

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Wait, are you running it on LPG now? :) How many stations in Ireland have LPG pumps? I'm assuming you won't be travelling too far if you use LPG. :)

No it is a diesel but you know how you lose about 10 hp when you convert to LPG. I also lost the 4WD in the process.

:D:DIt is done already apart from the exterior adaptation (need to put a bulge on the bonnet to accommodate the added height of the manifold. No one does this kind of things anymore. I did it my self. Interesting, we seem to think alike. You seem to know about both vehicles pretty well...who are you?:D

By the way the sledge hammer was not enough to accommodate the massive bell housing on the transit box. so I ended up cutting the old tunnel out and weld a new bigger one in.

Imagine trying to get someone else to do it...I could nearly buy another truck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

Fair play to ya, you knew what you wanted and you done it, who cares after that, if your happy fcuk the begrudgers.
    If your username is anything to go by, I bet you have more crazy ideas in mind.

Fair play to ya, you knew what you wanted and you done it, who cares after that, if your happy fcuk the begrudgers.
    If your username is anything to go by, I bet you have more crazy ideas in mind.

Yep.

My blog site (mot much in it) is

www.shannonpowerlab.com

I'll be adding things in as I go along. I'm not a good writer but I'll try to watch out for typos at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

Yep.

My blog site (mot much in it) is

www.shannonpowerlab.com

I'll be adding things in as I go along. I'm not a good writer but I'll try to watch out for typos at least.
    Thought so, ya il take a look at the site later.

• Advertisement

You seem to know about both vehicles pretty well...who are you?:D

I guess the name on the left gives it away.

As for profession, I'm not a mechanic, more of an Analytical Chemist.....

I guess the name on the left gives it away.

As for profession, I'm not a mechanic, more of an Analytical Chemist.....

I'm not a mechanic either.

Do you drive one?

Advertisement