Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3V credit cards

Options
  • 02-07-2010 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hey there,

just wondering if anybody can answer a question for me. Not even sure if this is the right place for this post, so please feel free to move it if theres a better forum for it.

Im planning to go to New York in October for a week, and hope to do some/alot of shopping whilst Im there. Ive been saving like crazy for the last number of weeks.

My problem is that I dont actually own a credit card. I do not have enough self-discipline to own one, and if I ever did get one, Id probably lose the run of myself altogether! And I couldnt cope with the pressure of a huge bill! I think they're a great idea if they're well managed, but not for me sadly!

So, Im thinking about getting one of those 3V cards. Know nothing about them and only heard of them recently through a friend. Im wondering does anybody know if these work in America?

If not, does anybody have any other ideas? If I use my laser card, how would i fare out, exchange rate-wise, when with drawing money over there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Open a ulsterbank current account, and get yourself a visa debit card. It works the same as a laser, but is accepted worldwide at atm's and POS transactions, something which laser cant do. You will only be able to use the laser over there in atm machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

3V isn't a real card. It's a virtual card to be used online and over the phone. You can't really use it in physical shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭carmel27

BuffyBot wrote: »
    3V isn't a real card. It's a virtual card to be used online and over the phone. You can't really use it in physical shops.

Jesus, really good point. Dont know much about them, so that never even crossed my mind:eek: Cheers for pointing that out!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

carmel27 wrote: »
    Jesus, really good point. Dont know much about them, so that never even crossed my mind:eek: Cheers for pointing that out!:)

Payzone (the company behind 3V) do prepaid credit cards also though which can be used in shops, ATMs etc as well as online.

www.payzonemoney.ie

I have one and it's dead handy, but I only use it for one-off purchases like ebay etc as the charges on it are 3% plus a 3.50 loading fee each time.

Works great with Ryanair apparently; no CC fee using this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

As said above, a Visa Debit is ideal for what you need. PTSB will also be issuing them from August :)

• Advertisement

sdonn wrote: »
    Payzone (the company behind 3V) do prepaid credit cards also though which can be used in shops, ATMs etc as well as online.

www.payzonemoney.ie

I have one and it's dead handy, but I only use it for one-off purchases like ebay etc as the charges on it are 3% plus a 3.50 loading fee each time.

Works great with Ryanair apparently; no CC fee using this.
    As said above, a Visa Debit is ideal for what you need. PTSB will also be issuing them from August :)

Thats brilliant guys. Thanks a million. Really dont want to get a proper credit card, because I'd probably end up homeless (surrounded by designer handbags and other things that I cant afford), trying to pay it back:rolleyes:
    Now if I were to get one of those Visa debit cards, whats the story for opening an ac? Would I need to be using the account regularly, or could I open it, and just put in the money I intend to use in NY and then just lodge money whenevr I want to use the card? Sorry for all the stupid questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

carmel27 wrote: »
    just put in the money I intend to use in NY and then just lodge money whenevr I want to use the card? Sorry for all the stupid questions.

Can do exactly just that. Just bring in photo id extra and proof of address to setup the account, and when its opened, they will send you out a visa debit card after ten days or so.

Works exactly the same as a credit card does, apart from the obvious part of no bill at the end of the month :)

Davy wrote: »
    Can do exactly just that. Just bring in photo id extra and proof of address to setup the account, and when its opened, they will send you out a visa debit card after ten days or so.

Works exactly the same as a credit card does, apart from the obvious part of no bill at the end of the month :)

Excellent Davy! Thanks a million for the help:)!

Advertisement