Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No baking powder!

Options
  • 02-07-2010 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi,

I was making a batch of muffins last night and some how I managed to forget to put baking powder into them! Is it going to make a huge difference? They still cooked ok and I tried one and it tasted alright, just slightly saltless. Any cure for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

What do you mean by "cure for this"? If they are baked now it is too late, the raising agent wasnt present, they are probably more dense and less risen but still quite tasty.
    The cure? Add the baking powder next time. :p
    If the muffins are too soggy to eat cold, use them as pudding by heating them up in the micro and serve with icecream...delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

tasted alright, just slightly saltless. Any cure for this?
    Salt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

How often do you salt your muffins???:eek:

Now that just sounds dirty...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

kylith wrote: »
    Salt?
    Baking soda will react with acids and give off carbon dioxide gas. In bread the yeast will give off carbon dioxide and cause it to rise, if you add lemon juice (acid) to your mixture and add baking soda then they react and form a a gas & salt, so it should taste a bit salty. Both yeast or the acid/base reaction would result in "rising".

I mix in baking soda with pancake mixture, then add in lots of lemon juice and it doubles in volume and you get nice airy pancakes. Many recipes would call for salt anyway so if using baking soda you might not need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

rubadub wrote: »
    Baking soda will react with acids and give off carbon dioxide gas. In bread the yeast will give off carbon dioxide and cause it to rise, if you add lemon juice (acid) to your mixture and add baking soda then they react and form a a gas & salt, so it should taste a bit salty. Both yeast or the acid/base reaction would result in "rising".

I mix in baking soda with pancake mixture, then add in lots of lemon juice and it doubles in volume and you get nice airy pancakes. Many recipes would call for salt anyway so if using baking soda you might not need it.
    Ah, right.

I was just thinking of correcting the flavour since it's a bit too late to add baking powder now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

kylith wrote: »
    Ah, right.
    Aha, I see now, just thought you might think it strange to have salty muffins (does sound dodgy!)

I would agree with you, if you want salt then put it on them!

Advertisement