Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Battery Problem

• 02-07-2010 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

I have a 02 Ford Ka and there's a problem with the battery draining.

I used to drive it all the time so never came across a problem but now its driven about 1.5miles a day.

I don't think its an alternator problem as I started it with jump leads and left it running and the battery seemed to charge as I was able to start it the next morning. Is there a way I can confirm if the alternator is ok?

I suspect its probably the battery and it just needs a replacment possibly from the cold winter. Is there a way to check if the battery needs replacing.

The other problem could be that something is draining the battery which will take a bit of finding. I will disconnect the neutral over the weekend and see if that the problem.

I have a trickle 12V battery charger. If I were to leave this on it in place with the leads connected would it cause any problems. Obviously not with the car started in case theres a conflict with the alternator.

Any help or insight would be appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Put a multimeter across the battery terminals whilst the engine is running. You should get 13+ volts.

Any less and the alternator is faulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

I have a trickle 12V battery charger. If I were to leave this on it in place with the leads connected would it cause any problems. Obviously not with the car started in case theres a conflict with the alternator.

Any help or insight would be appreciated
    I had to do this recently and the only problem I could foresee was the scammers who come around at 4am stuffing "charity clothing collection" leaflets in my door would not see the lead that was running out to the car and would knock the crocodile clips off by walking through the leads.
    I wouldn't have been too worried about something shorting as long as at least one scammer went up in a ball of flame with it. But anyhoo...

Basic things you could do without a multimeter are check is there a glove box light or a boot light staying on, remove/unplug any accessories you might have (chargers/carkits), pull off the radio faceplate (or if you know your way around the fuses pull any non essential fuses) and see if the battery drain goes away? Sometimes installers don't fit carkits properly and they're always on?

Check in case you've accidently hit the button for the rear-window demister?
    Short trips of 1.5 miles may not replenish a battery if you had the demister on ( may not even do it even without it on???)

Advertisement